• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder bumping loaded rounds?

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
I have 100 rounds of .260 hand loads left over from a sold rifle that are in twice fired brass that has only been neck sized before loading. My new rifle seems to have a slightly tighter chamber and the rounds will not chamber. I took a piece of he brass and colored the neck and shoulder with a sharpie and contact us being made at the base of the shoulder preventing the bolt from closing.

Can I SAFELY use my body die and bump the shoulders back just enough to chamber?

I would not. The thought of getting a loaded case stuck in a die is not a pleasant one. I don't for sure know that it's dangerous, but given that a die is sort of like a chamber, I wouldn't want to find out outside of a controlled experiment.

I've done it many times, no problem. I use marvel mystery oil to lube.

This issue has been discussed before, and it seems that the general consensus is go ahead and do it.

Lube the cases, make sure that it really is a Body Die, wear eye/face protection and go slowly, with the realization that there are no equipment manufacturers that will recommend this practice.

Having said all of that, my body dies have saved my a$$ numerous times in situations similar to what you describe.

Paul

where eyes ears and body armor if you have it. I doubt there would be any issue ever, but if one did go off you would end up with a hand grenade in your face.

where eyes ears and body armor if you have it. I doubt there would be any issue ever, but if one did go off you would end up with a hand grenade in your face.

Probably not quite that dangerous. In a body die, the neck portion of the case is unsupported/open; so a round going off would be like shooting a .243Win in a .308Win chamber. Certainly would make a "pop" and the bullet might go through the ceiling and the unburnt powder would make a mess, but I don't think there would be enough pressure to grenade.

Probably not quite that dangerous. In a body die, the neck portion of the case is unsupported/open; so a round going off would be like shooting a .243Win in a .308Win chamber. Certainly would make a "pop" and the bullet might go through the ceiling and the unburnt powder would make a mess, but I don't think there would be enough pressure to grenade.
Yeah you are probably right, but it is still quite unpleasant to think about.

Well, I took the plunge and I'm 11 rounds in body sizing loaded rounds. I'm using the Hornady One Shot case lube and it's going fine. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!