• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder bumping problems

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
In reloading my 6.5x47 Lapua I am having trouble bumping the shoulder back because my die and shellholder bottom out before the bump creating a sticky bolt. Any suggestions?

Re: Shoulder bumping problems

Your cases could need annealing if they are work hardened, or you need to turn a few thousandths off of the top of the shell holder.

Another member here was having the same problem on a 308 die. I ended up setting up the shellholder in a surface grinder and taking 0.005in off the top allowing it to bump the shoulder. You can also check the thickness of your shellholder against some at your local reloading store to see if yours is just an odd-ball.

I just take the lock ring off my die and take 0.010 - 0.015" off the bottom of the die using a table top belt sander. Just roll the die back and forth to take off an even amount of material. That way you don't have to remember which shell holder you've ground down. I HAVE to do it to ALL my redding (non comp) dies. Works like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also check the thickness of your shellholder against some at your local reloading store to see if yours is just an odd-ball. </div></div>

Nothing odd-ball about it....all shell holders are NOT created equal.

It's been my experience that the odd-ball is two that ARE the same.

Here's two random RCBS, both for .473 bolt face. These pics only depict the thickness from the top of the ram to the face of the case head, and is not even considering how they bottom out on the die. I took them to illustrate the bad mojo of interchanging shell holders if one is bumping only .001" or .002"...but you get the idea, you can't rely on them being precisely the same.
3006120.jpg

243AI124.jpg

As far as keeping them straight after modifying them; I keep 'em straight because no two are made the same. I keep the right shell holder with the die box for each rifle. The shell holder is also engraved for that rifle. Pretty hard to mix 'em up.

Turn down the shell holder to get the bump, it's the smarter move.......

Sinclair has a set of shell holders that are different thicknesses that work good.

I posted a thread about this not too long ago.

Link to thread

I ended up turning the die down slightly more allowing for some contact "cam-over". When the die is set up with firm contact with the shellholder, lower the ram and screw the die down. My die required about a 1/16 to 1/8" turn.

When you do this, it is basically taking all the slack out of the threads and press.

If you have a press that does 'cam over' and you are not doing so that could be your issue as aron suggests. Fine adjustment can be made to the shoulder bump by changing the amount of cam ever so slightly. If the case still won't size with a good bit of cam over then start adjusting dies and shellholders.

The only real solution is to grind the die or shellholder. Tried all the other stuff. The Redding shellholders that are different sizes are to make the shoulder bump longer. I'm really surprised no one makes shorter sized shell holders.........What a PITA!
Thanks for all your feedback and grind away I'll shall go........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted a thread about this not too long ago.

Link to thread

I ended up turning the die down slightly more allowing for some contact "cam-over". When the die is set up with firm contact with the shellholder, lower the ram and screw the die down. My die required about a 1/16 to 1/8" turn.

When you do this, it is basically taking all the slack out of the threads and press. </div></div>

Good post I did do the search and it's the same thing......Something stupid like this makes me want to go buy a lathe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only real solution is to grind the die or shellholder...Thanks for all your feedback and grind away I'll shall go........ </div></div>Grind the shellholder, NOT the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only real solution is to grind the die or shellholder...Thanks for all your feedback and grind away I'll shall go........ </div></div>Grind the shellholder, NOT the die. </div></div>

+1 and for petes sake use a surface grinder anybody in a machine shop can do this for you.keep it neat/square, i know it doesnt have to be, but it should be