• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder growth when resizing 308win

6cmShooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Tucson, Arizona
I'm running into a problem that for the life of me I cant see to get straightened out. I'm resizing some once fired 308 FC brass. Set the sizing die up correctly just like I have all my other sizing dies but every time I tried to resize the brass instead of my shoulder numbing back the required .002 its grown by almost .004. Does anybody know why this is happening.

Do you dry lube the inside of the necks before re-sizing? Are you using a conventional FL sizing die or something else? More details needed before we can give you good advice.

Using case lube on the shell with a non bushing full length die even tried it on a non bushing neck sizing die and was getting the same issue

You're not sizing enough. A fl die squeezes the body, making the shoulder move forward until the die touches the shoulder.
This, spin the die down a bit more until it contacts the shoulders.
Like a playdough snake, when you squeeze it between your hands to make it skinnier it gets longer unless the die body is there to stopand redirect it.

Reactions: Wisconsinner
^ this.

If you have used this die to size brass to this chamber before and it provided the proper headspace clearance, make sure you're using the same shell holder you set it up with. There are huge variations in shell holders.

You said u set up this die just like your other dies. How exactly did you set this die up?

Try increasing the dwell time the case is in the die and double cycle the case. Sounds silly but is has worked for me.

You said u set up this die just like your other dies. How exactly did you set this die up?
On my redding dies I use for my other calibers I run the ram up all the way screw the die down till it touches the shell plate then bring the ram down and go down a little less than a quarter turn and it usually pretty close. For my 308 though I using some yellow box lee dies I was given ad I havent had time to order a redding set

So the bottom of the die is stopping hard on top of the shell holder and you still can’t get the shoulder bumped?

Is bottom of die oversizing inward without shoulder contact resulting in compression at the bottom only

Well I figured out guess I didnt have my sizing die set currently was screwing around with it today and bam now it's working.