• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Shoulder Holster

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a couple of questions regarding shoulder holsters.

First, for those who have used them, are they comfortable?

Second, what company makes good ones for larger handguns? I'm thinking specifically for things like the Ruger Redhawk, Desert Eagle, etc. The heavier handguns can put a real sag in your pants which I would be trying to avoid with a shoulder holster.

When I was in plain clothes I carried everything from a 2" M-60 to a full sized 1911 in traditional, under the arm rigs. They are NOT comofortable with anything larger than a small revolver or PPK, SIG 239, etc. At least NOT for me.

I carried a 1911 for some time in a jackass rig, with a pair of mags and a set of cuffs on the other side, which offset the weight well. Then when I had to go to the duty weapon and I was always in a suit, I had a similar rig, held two mags on the off side and my SIG 229 under my lft armpit. That was a reasonably comfortable rig. Built by De Santis.

For the big stuff....Freedom Arms 6-7 inchers or six inch Smith N-Frames I have used an El Paso Saddlery 1942 model shoulder rig. Same rig issued to Tankers in WW2 for their 1911's. Pretty damned comfortable and the weapon is quite accessible. I carried both a 6" FA .454 as well as a 6" N-Frame 629 in the EPS 1942 for deer and elk and STILL do.

1942 "Tanker" Holster - 5 1/2" to 8 3/8" Barrels

There are several companies that make similar rigs even out of cordura. One IIRC built in Alaska. They also put the gun basically in the middle of your chest or slighltly to the weak side. Great positioning and comfortable.
Hit one of the Handgun HUNTING forums and ask there. THATS what I'd suggest for a truly large and heavy pistol/revolver.

Good Luck.

FN in MT

Dirty Dave posted a link to EXACTLY the rig I spoke of.

Last edited:
I used to own a Detonics Combat Master 45 along with the Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig. Loved it. I later traded the gun and rig for something else, but I have been sold on Alessi ever since. Lou passed away a few years ago, but his family still make the holsters. I have not used one of their shoulder rigs for a large handgun, but I still have several IWB holsters from them and am still sold on the brand.
Alessigunholsters.com

I have / have had a couple of SH's (Mitch Rosen and Galco) to carry a Government and twin mags. They are not comfy. The draw is slow, reloads are even slower, and you need to accept the fact that you are going to sweep yourself. Tie downs are good things - esp on the offside. IMHO they are best suited to driving gigs or some other special circumstance where they make sense - same for ankle rigs (which I use a lot more than an SH). As a general carry rig - they aren't advisable. For me, I am still faster drawing from a strong side IWB from the driver's seat than with an SH. That said, the draw from IWB is very overt in comparison to an SH. Many moons ago I was behind the curve with a beautiful person at my driver side window (down) and the ability to inconspicuously slide my hand in and thumb the snap for a discreet draw was a distinct advantage.

FWIW & IMHO Design notes - thin straps are more concealable, the wide straps are unnecessary - this isn't a ruck. Softer and thinner leather flexes with the body better and rides more discreetly under a thin cover garment, it is also less prone to squeak. The union of straps in the back is critical - avoid big rivets or anything that is going to create a high spot, as this will be where all the weight is borne and will prove to be uncomfy. Depending on the design (Galco) you may want to use a pair of pliers to bend the snap away from the pistol just a bit so you pop the snap open with pressure of your thumb hitting the snap as you mount the gun (speeds up you draw). Again tie downs are good things. Lastly, work on your draw and reloads at first with an unloaded weapon from a variety of positions - get comfy with the fact you are going to sweep yourself. Get grooved on keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until the muzzle is oriented toward the POA. Once you're confident, then shift to a hot weapon.

The Alessi Bodyguard, WHERE SAFELY POSSIBLE, uses a "pull through" retention snap through the trigger guard. Guns like a Glock use thumb release, but on the 1911 and similar you just grab the gun and give it a good jerk with no concious effort required to find a release. It is also very comfortable and I could wear mine all day.

Now the holsters for the big guns mentioned by the OP will hold the gun vertically or near vertical whereas the bodyguard model is a horizontal carry. I do not know what kind of retention system they have nor do I know how comfortable they are. I can only base my guess on my experience with the Bodyguard which is a stellar system IMO.

The Talon Plus IWB holsters are also very comfortable (at about the 4 o'clock position) and are open top, depending on the molded fit of the holster and the fact that the clip goes UNDER the belt and not ON the belt. When you tighten your belt it will retain the weapon very securely yet still allow a quick draw without cumbersome release snaps. BUT I digress again because these are not designed for the bigger guns concerning the OP.

I have two of these, now as a disclaimer - he is a friend of mine and neighbor...but This is by FAR the most comfortable way for me to carry 44 mag SRH AK and 454 Casull Ruger SRH Toklat,

Wyoming Combination Holster

Google his holster and work, they are not built for style - but for extreme comfort and amazing versatility

For big revolvers the shoulder rig is the way to go. Especially if you have tried sitting in a car with a long barrel hip holster. I also like the crossdraw holsters for hunting purposes as well for big revolvers, but you can't conceal them well, if needed.

Until it (and other items) was stolen in the last move, I used the 1911 shoulder holster my father carried in the Korean War. It carried the pistol up high and used a leather-covered spring clip around the frame, so there were no straps/snaps to undo. I found it very comfortable and concealable. I wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer (if it's even still in business). I believe it was a company in Missouri. Would love to replace it.

Richard

I use a Galco Miami Classic with my full size Dan Wesson CBOB 1911. It has two mags on off-side and no tie-down. It is not terribly uncomfortable. This rig provides excellent concealment with a loose shirt. Not fast draw but good tac advantage.

A really simple solution would be to carry the larger pistols in a belt holster, and add additional support with suspenders. Many law enforcement officers are doing exactly that as on their belts, they have to carry:

1. pistol
2. extra magazines
3. pepper spray
4. radio
5. either asp, baton, taser, or a combination of these
6. handcuffs
7. rubber gloves in a little case

It all adds up...trust me. But good wide suspenders work really well, and they are far cheaper than spending $150-250 for a decent shoulder holster.