• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show of Hands. Who else has lost their job to COVID-19?

you guys should put your location...might be a opening in the area from other guys on the hide

im a essential business and down to 60% attendance

actually have hiring signs out on the lawn, hired 5-6 people the last few days

even though im pharmaceuticals i lost some warehouse guys etc

might not make what you were but a job is a job right?

long island NY

We have been maintaining open status but its getting tougher. People are becoming afraid and not wanting to work. So it seems some are choosing to stay home. At some point it will no longer be sustainable.

No layoffs in my family aside from one who is a massage therapist, somehow we're all in essential industries and damn thankful for what we still have.

I personally saw the writing on the wall a few years back when I was doing overseas security contracting and everything overseas was drawing back, so I did a total career shift into something that's actually a career than a yo-yo type gig.

I'm a railroader now (signalman), we're still working and there's more concern we will lose personnel due to the illness and not be able to keep shit running than there is we will face layoffs. Grabbing all the overtime we can right now (and it's a lot) and will stash that away for any eventualities that may come. No matter what we will run goods and coal and the tracks don't just get shut down even in long downturns (other than additional mainline tracks), so about as insulated from downturns as it gets. The last recession was utilized to do major improvement projects on our system, easy to work on the tracks when there's no trains, so on our side when the shipping slows down the maintenance and construction picks up. Last layoff for us in my department was in the 90s, and we're on a zero layoff contract with the company through the end of this year anyhow.

Wife is a mental health counselor, same as her daughter, both are insulated as well and busier than ever. Oldest son is Navy so good there, next son working telecom and working on call only, but still getting hours despite only working there since January. Rest of extended family are nurses, law enforcement, DoD, or agriculture, all are doing well enough so far.

Best of luck to those who are out of work, shit isn't going to get any easier anytime soon and I hope your jobs are waiting for you when this shit dies down.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Thats been a big gripe about this whole thing. All these people screaming that you need to stay home and not go out are either: politicians, celebrities, or stay at home mom/wife. None of whom really have a worry about a job or money.

Im not currently worried about my job, but if this shit isnt over by June/July or so, I know my company is going to be taking a SERIOUS look at things. As is we are cutting 30-40% of our schedule and attempting to maintain full staff and full salaries. The prediction is my industry will take 18-24 months to come back from this and it might take 36-48 months before we are back full bore.

I hope May 1 is the fish or cut bait day.

A decision has to be made based on 3 months of hard stats.

I think it will be readily apparent to everyone at that point whether its time to go to work or not.

If the worker is not solidly convinced, by their own observations, that continuing the shut down is the right course I dont think they will be standing by while a talking head tells them to stay at home.

Head waiter upscale casual. He took a job driving for Papa John's today. His restaurant basically shut down when the state issued distancing rules and didn't tell any of the employees dick. Shut down with zero communication. Honestly As much as he loves restaurants (I don't get it), I'm hoping this is a wake up call to move to a different line of work. He doesn't listen to me though.?
Kudos to him for doing something to help himself rather than waiting for someone else to do it.

I hope May 1 is the fish or cut bait day.

A decision has to be made based on 3 months of hard stats.

I think it will be readily apparent to everyone at that point whether its time to go to work or not.

If the worker is not solidly convinced, by their own observations, that continuing the shut down is the right course I dont think they will be standing by while a talking head tells them to stay at home.

Every 7 days we have a TON of new data so its easier to make decisions...or at least thats the way I see it.

So in 4 more weeks(my guess is it takes less than that) a much better picture will be painted.

Reactions: pmclaine
you guys should put your location...might be a opening in the area from other guys on the hide

im a essential business and down to 60% attendance

actually have hiring signs out on the lawn, hired 5-6 people the last few days

even though im pharmaceuticals i lost some warehouse guys etc

might not make what you were but a job is a job right?

long island NY

Hi,

And all the BS'ing, Giving hard times, etc etc that we deal with and partake in here on SH is all worth it because of THAT right there!!

Sincerely,
Theis

My wife and I are fortunate. I am a field engineer for a large AG OEM and the wife is the pharmacy buyer and holds all the license for he class 2 and 3 drugs. We have both been very busy and the wife has been run ragged trying to keep up with all the formulates that are being tested.

So far we are hanging in there. My work is slow right now. If something breaks down I'll be busy but I have been busting ass getting all of our systems we maintain straight so I may have screwed myself, we will see. We build and maintain coal sampling systems and conveyors at power plants.

But I am running low on work to do. We are in the middle of building a big conveyor and sampling system but it is dead in the water for now. I'm riding it out for now but I'm just waiting to get sent home any day. Hard to say, just see what happens.

My thoughts are with all of you who have been sent home. I am really surprised how many have been. This is horseshit and the people who work their asses off trying to make it are the first to go.

Praise the lord for wife's with solid jobs. My wife is in the teaching field, so I'm hoping that she is semi secure in her future.

Yes, wife's a nurse so were not struggling. But that's a double edged sword when they have a quarantine unit next to hers. She is way more likely to bring this bug home.

10 million unemployed.

I think the statement "Corona virus destroyed the economy" may be an incomplete list regards what is destroying the economy.

I'm still working but things are slow. Our distribution center is down to minimal staff and pretty much slow walking everything to ensure they have work. My department can only work if the warehouse people are here so we can get parts for repairs. I fear that with things slowing down more and more we may be out of work soon. We have maybe a week of work left and we will have nothing left to work on. Mail/FedEx/UPS deliveries are almost nonexistent.

Our HR department already said the option is furlough and apply for unemployment. That would suck for me but I could survive. I feel bad for everyone else dealing with this and have actually lost jobs. Technically my employer falls in the less than 500 employee class and technically can get the "loan" aka grant from the gov to pay us. I have no idea what's going on in that front. The rest of the company is working from home. They are secure for now.

Hopefully this thing slows down and people can get back to normal life and work.

Unemployment and lost job numbers from the first two weeks of Corona shutdown are worse than the entire Great Recession.

I said it in another thread- Any logic that demands shutdown now, will demand shutdown six weeks from now. I’m afraid that we have barely started. Just wait and watch where the wealth ends up.

Oilfield here, we are drilling 2 more wells after the current one we are on. Expecting to get me through till 1st week of June. This is all for lease holds. Hoping the virus issue will be over by then and the economy coming around somewhat.
I’m working straight through with no relief, hoping the futures are looking better by then.
Miss my regular 14-14 rotation but feel blessed to be working.

Reactions: rlarsen462
i still have a job, but we lost a member of my team along with almost 500 others.
most are being furloughed and keeping insurance active, hoping we can bring them back quickly.
the executives VP and higher have all taken pay cuts during this, which i suppose is something.

I’m in telecom and the wife is in our local school district so thanks owe both are employed. But who knows what’s going t happen.

10 million unemployed.

I think the statement "Corona virus destroyed the economy" may be an incomplete list regards what is destroying the economy.

Wonder how many of those 10M would have died if we did nothing. Wonder how many might have risked it anyway. We'll be at 50M by May. Not sure there was a right answer for this.

I still don't know anyone with it, had it, or died from it. I know there are quite a few on here who have had it affect them more personally though. April going to be one of the roughest months America has seen on all fronts I suspect.

FWIW, locally, Ruckersville, Virginia, Lowe's has out help wanted signs. dont know if it extends beyond here. Target is also hiring.

I'm a self employed carpenter, the Child Bride is medically retired drawing a pension and SSI. I've enough solid work lined up through April, then planning on hiring on with another local contractor to build a fancy shop/office/man cave. That would carry us through June. Hopefully, the phone will keep ringing and I can small job/handyman the rest of the year.

Our financial issue, if you can call it that, stems from very little 2019 revenue due to the Child Bride's extended hospital stay and resulting hotel living expenses. Cash reserves went up in smoke, and some debt accumulated. All is manageable, just more long term than we are used to. I need to remain employed to stay ahead of the curve.

It's a lot quieter up here than the rest of the country, although the effects are being felt by the local businesses. Some will be lost, which hurts a tiny rural village of less than 1,000.

We will survive, but things will be different.

I consider myself beyond blessed. I'm a sole proprietor with a Marine AC business and the only game in town. I'm essential , at least I think so , because I have live-aboard customers that need AC & refrigeration. Many of my customers are upper socio-economic level so I have customers waiting to spend money.
My wife is a nurse in a pediatric neurology clinic, so her job isn't going anywhere either. I wish I could afford to hire a helper, but most of my work would have him standing around watching.
I'm just bracing for the next peak when the lower socio-economic groups, run out of money, can't find/buy necessities, can't pay the note on their stuff, and desperation kicks in. I think a lot of other people are worried about that, hence the rise in gun and ammo sales. Even the Liberals who think we should not have guns are guying them. We all hope it doesn't sink to that, but we hope for the best while planning for the worst.
Good luck to all of you guys. Stay safe & healthy.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
I am a Farmer. I grow and sell cut flowers to local florists all over NC. Just a 2 man operation me and my business partner. So we are "self employed" .. I did not lose my job per say..BUT all of my customers ( the flower shops and wholesalers) where closed (and before that all of there customers where told to stay at home events they do flowers for canceled) so I have no one to sell my product too that I have been growing over the last year.. and have cut and ready to sell.. so it rots in the cooler.. Now I am planting for summer and having to buy seeds and fertilizer and supplies with out making any money in the spring sales time... So how much money am I going to spend and time am I going to spend working on crops that may never get sold because the Governor will not even let my customers even be open!

Just Remember all of this in November ! Outside of Trump and NC agricultural commissioner. I am voting against every person in office right now.. And the sad thing is that will have me voting for some dems for the first time in my life lol

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I’m still working as a refrigeration tech, but it’s getting s-l-o-w. And they are laying people off. I was told I don’t have to worry, but somehow I find that hard to believe.

Wife went back to work at the hospital, so I’m wondering when the next bout of self-isolation/exposure is coming. Not if, just when.

FWIW, locally, Ruckersville, Virginia, Lowe's has out help wanted signs. dont know if it extends beyond here. Target is also hiring.

That's great they are hiring, but it seems taking a full time job that pay less than 50% of your original wage still means you lose all unemployment benefits.

Job searching, applications, networking and interviewing are all miserable activities, but I would rather take the time .gov's stupidity gave me as an opportunity to try to improve my situation and career path than panic and take a big career step back on top of the already big salary hit.

Money is money. Less money right now for a time is worth more than no money on a hope.

Unemployment pays 50% of my wage

Target/lowe/etc. pay 30% of my wage

Yep, you're right about the less money part. The rest... yeah...

I was substitute teaching full time. Originally I was just expecting a small vacation and to return to work in a couple weeks. Then they pushed the date back to May 05, and just got word yesterday schools are closed for the rest of the school year and subs can't collect unemployment. I'm set for next school year though since I'll be teaching Special Ed, and worst case I'll go back to subbing and grind it out again. Fortunately, I still have my VA disability coming in and my education benefits so I have some time to decide what to do next in the mean time.

I am a Farmer. I grow and sell cut flowers to local florists all over NC. Just a 2 man operation me and my business partner. So we are "self employed" .. I did not lose my job per say..BUT all of my customers ( the flower shops and wholesalers) where closed (and before that all of there customers where told to stay at home events they do flowers for canceled) so I have no one to sell my product too that I have been growing over the last year.. and have cut and ready to sell.. so it rots in the cooler.. Now I am planting for summer and having to buy seeds and fertilizer and supplies with out making any money in the spring sales time... So how much money am I going to spend and time am I going to spend working on crops that may never get sold because the Governor will not even let my customers even be open!

Just Remember all of this in November ! Outside of Trump and NC agricultural commissioner. I am voting against every person in office right now.. And the sad thing is that will have me voting for some dems for the first time in my life lol
Libertarian and write in would be two other options.

Wonder how many of those 10M would have died if we did nothing. Wonder how many might have risked it anyway. We'll be at 50M by May. Not sure there was a right answer for this.

I still don't know anyone with it, had it, or died from it. I know there are quite a few on here who have had it affect them more personally though. April going to be one of the roughest months America has seen on all fronts I suspect.

Wonder how many of those 10 mil will now die or suffer irreparable life changes.

Every action has consequences and unintended consequences.

Reactions: rlarsen462
I hope this post provides a view from the other side of the coin. Other than the fact that my wife can't find any Clorox wipes or Lysol, everything else is okay. Kids are a little bored from having to stay home all the time, but they at least get to go over to their grandparent's house to swim and we can go to the lake to get away and ride the boat and fish.

I'm in structural steel fabrication.... as many of y'all have seen in the "Metalworking/welding" thread.
I'm in very Southeast Alabama. Not a lot of reported cases in our county or the counties surrounding us. I guess there is some bonus to living out in the sticks.

We are still wide open. Sure, some folks in my company are "working" from home for safety/precautions, but our office and shop are still in full swing. We are fortunate to have individual offices and our shop is set up to where people don't have to get close to one another. We've had meetings and everyone is pretty well taking it seriously and are abiding by the prescribed measures. We, as most commercial construction, have been deemed essential by the Federal and State government. Honestly, the only thing that could hurt us right now is if the President or our governor were to decide that we are no longer essential and tells us all to stay at home. Thus far only one of our projects has been shut down and we haven't even started shipping steel to the jobsite yet. We have work in healthcare and government work right now and I don't foresee either pulling the plug. The fabricators that focus on industrial work have been less fortunate than we have.

We have been blessed by the good Lord to have almost 100% shop capacity on the books thru December. I'm in charge of sales and I started getting really aggressive on my pricing around the middle of last year because I had a feeling that a market adjustment was coming. I had no idea it would be a virus/pandemic that would spur that adjustment. Not only do I have sufficient work on the books to move us past the restart attempt, I've got another nice project on the hook that the CM still says is going to be awarded soon/this month and that will push us into Q1 or Q2 of 2021. We are not a huge company.....about 75-80 employees between the office and the shop.....so we don't have a huge mouth to feed like some companies.

While the bidding market has slowed down slightly, it hasn't slowed down like you would think.....at least not for us. As I am typing this post, I just received a call from a CM we do a lot of work with and he has a 4-story office building coming up. I asked him if the owner is actually going to proceed in light of everything going on and he said that they asked the same question and was told yes.

We are actually trying to take advantage of this crazyness as an opportunity to pick up some good/qualified folks who are looking for work.

It may all change in another week or two, but as of right now, everything is still full steam ahead.
While I know Southeast Alabama may be a long way from you, I hope some folks can take solace in the fact that it isn't all gloom and doom everywhere.

Last edited:

50% of wage for unemployment is a gift. Here in Florida, unemployment pays $220/week, no matter what your previous income was. Just about any job pays more than that.

This has been noted by some in "leadership".

Its going to be tough to get the jobs available to have takers if those jobs do not offer more than Uncle Sams safety net.

The stupid thing about our safety net is that it punishes responsibility and work.

It should look at what your working salary was provide you some portion of that and allow you to take an amount of work as you can find to try to make yourself whole.

If you start to make more than your old job with part time work/unemploymant than your unemployment should be reduced.

Our dumb system rewards irresponsibility and defeats initiative to try.

Reactions: lash
Same in 2008 and 2009. People drew unemployment to the max time allowed because it would pay more than the available jobs.

My wife and I have been forced to live on our boat, "The Simple Life" after fleeing the Hamptons. It's modest accommodations for two, but we're making do. See pic below.

I was forced to furlough about half the crew, one of the toughest things I've had to do since last week. Down to a skeleton crew of 6 right now, praying for the best. Everyone is in high spirits despite the dire situation we face. We pray it will not come to it, but we are prepared to live off the sea like sailors of old if need be.

Had to leave the British Virgin Islands yesterday due to a shortage of essentials such as caviar, Dom Perignon, and medallion fillets. We have about 6 months of toilet paper on board. Perhaps a bit less depending on the local cuisine. Internet connection speeds suck at sea, one of those things not taught in schools. Keep us in your prayers.
mega yacht.jpg

Last edited:
50% of wage for unemployment is a gift. Here in Florida, unemployment pays $220/week, no matter what your previous income was. Just about any job pays more than that.

Well, that sucks! $220 ain't shit when .gov forces you from your job.

WTF are they doing with all your tax dollars that they can't give them back when you need them?

This has been noted by some in "leadership".

Its going to be tough to get the jobs available to have takers if those jobs do not offer more than Uncle Sams safety net.

The stupid thing about our safety net is that it punishes responsibility and work.

It should look at what your working salary was provide you some portion of that and allow you to take an amount of work as you can find to try to make yourself whole.

If you start to make more than your old job with part time work/unemploymant than your unemployment should be reduced.

Our dumb system rewards irresponsibility and defeats initiative to try.

Agreed, you should be allowed to work for a partial wage and receive unemployment to make you whole during this panic.

The extra $600 a month on top of unemployment even if it exceeds your original wage is foolish. I don't know that it defeats initiative though. I honestly believe it changes nothing for most. Those without ambition won't gain any, but those of us with drive and ambition will use this as an opportunity.

Opportunities and "hope" as another poster put it abound for those willing to take risks and work for their solutions. I ain't the most career ambitious guy, but I already have 2 interviews lined up. Only been off since last Wednesday. One pays a similar wage to what I was making with more up side potential. The other pays more than what I was making. Mean while the stock market is presenting unparalleled opportunities to short the market to supplement my income.

The panic and fear seem to be doing more to hurt ambition and keep people from searching for opportunities right now than a few dollars from .gov.

Reactions: pmclaine
I'm an electrical engineer working for a MEP Consulting firm. We do a lot of government work, state and local, so we are considered essential...for now. My boss, who's a great guy, sent most everybody home, except a few of us, but he's still paying them.

My wife is a state employee working for a state university, and she's working from home, but she's still working.

So far we're still good to go. I'll continue to pray for all you guys that this thing has hit so hard.

Lineman for a major utility, as of now stay home and get paid 40hrs respond to outages and “critical” work which has been 2 days this week... wife is an LPN and they’re cutting their hours ...so far we’ve been lucky

My wife’s been out since the beginning of March and we are shutting things down tomorrow since there’s now a stay at home order and automotive is deemed non-essential by Florida. I can’t say it won’t make things pretty damn tight without any real income for a month or more. We shall see how things go.

• Sad
Reactions: Geno C.
Sales in a "non-essential" industry (B2B sales for an equipment manufacturer). Whole company has been directed to burn at least 80 hrs PTO (or whatever you have on the books) in the month of April and May starts part-time furloughs. So next month I'll go to 80% pay or less...

This corona aint shit. You wan shit...try Omaha Beach on June 6

1585866626646.png

1585866651570.png

Iwo Jima

1585866778677.png

Leoniddas and the boys at Thermopylae knew they were going to die and not a whimper.

1585866953811.png

Fuck the Corona, Fuck the Chinks, Fuck the Ruskies and the Saudi's. Merica, YEAH. Freedom, YEAH. Well make it and come out stronger.

If I die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Semper Fidelis, motherfuckers.

Reactions: Jscb1b
This corona aint shit. You wan shit...try Omaha Beach on June 6

View attachment 7288792

View attachment 7288793

Iwo Jima

View attachment 7288794

Leoniddas and the boys at Thermopylae knew they were going to die and not a whimper.

View attachment 7288795

Fuck the Corona, Fuck the Chinks, Fuck the Ruskies and the Saudi's. Merica, YEAH. Freedom, YEAH. Well make it and come out stronger.

If I die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Semper Fidelis, motherfuckers.

I just wish 90% of our govt wasn't pulling for the opposing team.........

And you should have referenced the fighting attack to the rear at Chosin......the first time we tricked thousands of Chinese into catching American copper and lead.........

Reactions: Maggot
Commander of the USS Roosevelt has lost his job due to CV-19.........sort of.

He won't be missed.

I would think you'd stay busy. Can you speak more about the issues?
To clarify, I'm still working. I get the impression that some may think I'm not and that's not how I meant for that to sound if someone took it that way. People need electricity and I need to make sure it gets to them. My wife is an ICU nurse and obviously still working as well. I'd say were both fortunate and not at the same time. Hopefully we can keep ourselves and our two boys healthy and financially stable.

Reactions: BLEE
I rarely reply to the threads I read, more into listening than opening my mouth. I own a small machine shop that supplies the oilfield and produces our own product line designed for our service members on the two-way ranges. This downturn has hit us hard. Harder than I am letting the team know. I am having to downsize but I am keeping everyone as long as I can. Some have very recent infants - I wont let them go until the end. Someone mentioned bosses in a comment up above - this is my reality, it isn't super sexy and there isn't extra profits going into my pocket.

I go home exhausted thinking I can hit it harder and better tomorrow. I have done this every week for 5 years with many weeks of sleeping up here and working the machines more than 36 hours straight. Hell, I have spent two weeks in the same clothes with no shower to get a critical project done and smelled worse than the homeless I picked up in the ambulance in a prior life. But this situation is stress of a different kind. Its the stress of potential failure. I just put it out of my mind and try to go harder. But this is what they call a Black Swan. An exogenous shock. A majority of it is uncontrollable, forces immediate actions and a strategy rethink.

I was talking to one of my customers today and we are both going to talk advantage of the Payroll Protection Program. I have never done anything like that but I realized that this is a game of last man standing, and to NOT take it leaves me at a competitive disadvantage to those that do. I intend for us to survive. But in order to do this we have to walk through this valley.

I swear I would convert this shop over to medical equipment earlier than I already planned in order to get non-invasive medical equipment parts to the manufacturers who needed it for the virus fight. And hire more people that we needed. I have spent a TON of money to become ISO and AS9100 certified. If it would FOR SURE help I would get my medical certs too. Forget China and Russia - come see us. Let America work for Americans. Keep everyone here employed first.

Money is money. Less money right now for a time is worth more than no money on a hope.
[/
Truer words never spoken. I’ve already told myself if it comes down to it, I can get a gig delivering pizza/food to put food on my very own table.

Last two weeks I was designated as Critical Infrastructure and given "papers" to be out and about because I keep multiple sites up and running. Places like State Hygienic Labs, University Hospitals, and County Emergency Communications Centers running as a Field Service Specialist. The last three days I have been at the County Justice Center configuring courtrooms so that the Justice System can conduct their business via video conferencing.

Today I am unemployed. They'll call me back they say...someday. But for right this minute the most important thing is that the CEO and Stockholders keep their multi million dollar salaries so they have trimmed the actual workers to a skeleton staff. They are under contract to have me provide service within 24 hours. They have no one to do my job. So if you call 911 and no one answers....

Who else is straining to help and save America but has been laid off?

VooDoo

Our jobs are “critical” we are all replaceable. Sorry to hear it man. We are all in this together.

Just waiting for the day we get told not to come back. Although Trump talked to Putin and the Saudis about global energy economy so we might have a job still by summer if they truly cut production by 10 million barrels a day. The stars really aligned for us in February and then this Virus and oil prices going to $30 then $20 really kicked us in the nuts. Our great year could be the worst year ever.

Self employed plumber. It’s been 2 weeks since my last job. Cleared for emergency work in PA.
Haven’t had time in the wood shop, like this, for 20 years.
Enjoying my retirement now, probably won’t happen later.(y)

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Self employed mechanic. Retired from offshore oilfield. I could keep my shop full right now but I contracted a sinus infection so out of caution I'm contacting all my customers and telling them all work will be postponed until this is over. Still holding out hope this is a necessary reset of the world economy and complete dismantling of the deep state, including the fed reserve. If not no biggie, my hope and faith are in God. I got lots of load development I need to do anyway.

Self employed mechanic. Retired from offshore oilfield. I could keep my shop full right now but I contracted a sinus infection so out of caution I'm contacting all my customers and telling them all work will be postponed until this is over. Still holding out hope this is a necessary reset of the world economy and complete dismantling of the deep state, including the fed reserve. If not no biggie, my hope and faith are in God. I got lots of load development I need to do anyway.

I dont see one side or the other shitting their pants hard enough to think this is reckoning coming.

Trump seems pretty cool/calm.........havent seen any Communists taking one way flights to Cuba.

But I like your optimism.

Reactions: mtrmn
The wife is an elementary school teacher. The schools are shut down for the rest of the school year. They’re having her do “remote learning” from home with the students, so she’s still getting paid.

I’m in chemical manufacturing and distribution, i.e. cleaning chemicals, disinfectants, hand sanitizers, etc. we’re slammed. So as long as our clients stay open we’ll be good. I’ve got friends in other industries that haven’t been so lucky.