• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show of Hands. Who else has lost their job to COVID-19?

The wife is an elementary school teacher. The schools are shut down for the rest of the school year. They’re having her do “remote learning” from home with the students, so she’s still getting paid.

Mine's an El Ed teacher as well. They haven't given up on resuming school this year yet but we're sure it's going to happen. (South Dakota) She's still thankfully getting paid.

We're a electrical utility truck (those things linemen use) manufacturer. We've been deemed "infrastructure essential" which is nice to hear for job security. BUT when you have customers cancelling large portions of their 2020 commitments and majorly slicing line rates--not nice to hear for job sec.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
So, my health insurance on COBRA for my Wife and I is just shy of $1200 a month. Kinda love to let it lapse but Mama is scheduled for hip replacement surgery but it has been postponed indefinitely due to the Pandemic. Kinda don't want to be without insurance during a Pandemic where one could rack up tens or even hundreds of thousands of $ in care costs and then still not survive.

Been talking to other coworkers who have covered their children but are going without themselves. My short and long term disability, Life/AD&D, Health Coverage...all of it gone now unless I cough up $1200 and that's just for Health Insurance. The rest is gone until I/if I go back to work.

If this goes on more than a few months I will lose my entire retirement even if I don't get sick. 47 years of working my nuts off blowing away.

VooDoo

Retired from Medicine, champing at the bit to get back into it, right now. I know how the guys at the ER are feeling right about now, after long shifts, extended periods, and additional preventative steps. A week long break would do all of them some good. Too fricken' old.
My son's Rock Climbing gym is shut down. He is solo there, now, making and selling custom climbing holds for people now building home walls. Almost meeting his previous (pre-covid) level of income. Shifting that over to his laid off people, and bills.
I'm home making masks, and sending them to family, and friends.
Hey, that "Prepper" you used to make fun of? He's looking pretty smart right about now, isn't he?

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
My girlfriend and I both have been laid off, myself due to limiting capacity at camp. I do industrial construction as an electrician, primarily oil and gas, but luckily the job I'm on is environmental. Once more room is allotted in camp I will be able to return, but a sizable chunk of the company will not, as oil and gas companies have stopped all non essential spending. Jobs have shut down completely mid way through construction and won't be restarted for at least the year. My job will maybe give me another 6 months if I'm lucky. This virus is the least of my concern at the moment.

Another member of the club here.

I was working a series of shutdowns at the Chevron Refinery in Pascagoula,MS when we started hearing a rumor that they may send all the contractors home because of this Corona BS. We were all laughing at how absurd the rumor was because nothing stops a shutdown in a refinery.

The money and logistics involved in sending hundreds/thousands of skilled "hands" in multiple disciplines, plus their equipment, plus all the millions of dollars in rental equipment is simply too much of a logistics and financial nightmare for a corporation to contemplate, right? WRONG!

In the span of 2 days it went from a silly rumor to a line of contractors heading out the gate and the rental companies breaking down all their shit.

I've been out for over 3 weeks and they're saying likely months before we get called back. I'm worried they may just cancel the shutdown, which also "never" happens, but this fucking thing has proven me wrong way too many times about what could "never happen".

• Wow
Reactions: Bradu
I work in consulting for transportation. My employer is furloughing +/-50% this week even though our business is only down 10% and most of our contracts are 1+ year. They said they want to make a single round of deep cuts rather than multiple smaller cuts. I can’t understand their logic in cutting so much of the staff when our obligations haven’t decreased. We are going to be put in a situation where we can’t meet our contractual obligations, allowing our customers out of long term contracts. I’m trying to be optimistic, but to me it looks like a downward spiral.

I’m ok for now, but their action will result in me having to do many more onsite field calls increasing my exposure. I considered volunteering for furlough, but after discussing it with my wife we decided to stay the course. The enhanced unemployment here is $3340 per month, less than half of my salary. I could use and could afford a 3 month mental break, but I’m concerned about what happens when they don’t bring anyone back and I’d need to find something else while 40M others are also looking.

I don’t understand why they don’t take advantage of the PPP to keep everyone on, but they said it doesn’t apply to the company of ~300. I researched PPP late last week, I can’t see any reason not to take the free money in this time where gov’t is forcing so many out of work.

Another member of the club here.

I was working a series of shutdowns at the Chevron Refinery in Pascagoula,MS when we started hearing a rumor that they may send all the contractors home because of this Corona BS. We were all laughing at how absurd the rumor was because nothing stops a shutdown in a refinery.

The money and logistics involved in sending hundreds/thousands of skilled "hands" in multiple disciplines, plus their equipment, plus all the millions of dollars in rental equipment is simply too much of a logistics and financial nightmare for a corporation to contemplate, right? WRONG!

In the span of 2 days it went from a silly rumor to a line of contractors heading out the gate and the rental companies breaking down all their shit.

I've been out for over 3 weeks and they're saying likely months before we get called back. I'm worried they may just cancel the shutdown, which also "never" happens, but this fucking thing has proven me wrong way too many times about what could "never happen".

Well, when its basically a depression by executive order, theres isnt a whole lot businesses can do. Especially when the businesses that defy the order are fined and their utilities turned off.

I'm "non-essential" but lucky to still have a job and be able to work from home. About 2/3rds-3/4ths of our compensation is usually bonus and carried interest, and all that is likely gone for this year so I'm probably down to around 25% of my typical take-home pay at the end of the year. Fortunately I live modestly and can get by on the base pay just fine without dipping into savings. All in all I'm quite fortunate. I do agree with the comments about the cure possibly being worse than the virus. There is a lot of deep economic damage being done and it's not obvious that we are actually getting much from it in terms of health outcome improvements. Hopefully we get an inoculation to this soon and can resume normal life.

I was told to furlough 8 of the 14 people on my team. The workload has reduced 10%, so let’s get rid 57% of the staff...brilliant.

My co workers who are still employed are trying to convince management to bring me back. Apparently they can't do their jobs and mine and get it all done.

Who knew?

VooDoo

My wife has been out of work since 16 March. She works in the dental field and was told the office was closing until at least the end of April.

On a good note, she gets to spend a lot of time with our baby instead of working.

Just got my letter from the unemployment people - my claim has been denied because no wages have been reported in this state to my SS number. No covid-19 money, no unemployment compensation. Nada....my health insurance on COBRA is now $1200ish per month. The unemployment help number is currently disabled due to volume of calls...it doesn't even ring.

My Wife was waiting for surgery until it was cancelled due to CV-19....she's crippled and really fucking scared. Thank goodness I still have a couple good bottles of Scotch handy. Friday night and Papa is a little anxious.

Cheers!

VooDoo

Just got my letter from the unemployment people - my claim has been denied because no wages have been reported in this state to my SS number. No covid-19 money, no unemployment compensation. Nada....my health insurance on COBRA is now $1200ish per month. The unemployment help number is currently disabled due to volume of calls...it doesn't even ring.

My Wife was waiting for surgery until it was cancelled due to CV-19....she's crippled and really fucking scared. Thank goodness I still have a couple good bottles of Scotch handy. Friday night and Papa is a little anxious.

Cheers!

VooDoo

Prayers for you and your family

Cheers!

VooDoo

That sucks!

I'm on zero income as well. Unemployment is on hold "pending resolution". They at least answered the phone after only 4 hrs on hold. Was told "you should have lied" and not disclosed that I had received 2 weeks severance pay. Supposed to be resolved 4/22... I'm not hopeful, neither was the unemployment employee. Fortunately, I still have health insurance through the company for now. Hell of a lot cheaper than Cobra.

Stay strong n best wishes for you and yours.

Survived a massive furlough at work today. When commercial aviation goes down so does lots of our customers.

Hopefully this will soon be behind us and get the Great USA up and running again.
I’ve survived so far but I’m in the Oilfeild and am very Blessed to still be working, hoping to work thru it.
The Good Lord won’t lead you to it and not pull you through it...

I know many hands sitting at the house...

Last edited:
Reactions: rlarsen462
I still have my job but I'm not happy about it. I was trying to find a new job before this started but now hiring is down. And the job market in my area sucked to begin with.

The company is also getting worse about unecessary precautions and I'm at the point of wanting to quit out of frustration. Working a dead-end, poor paying job is bad enough without health forms and harassment over PPE.

I still have my job but I'm not happy about it. I was trying to find a new job before this started but now hiring is down. And the job market in my area sucked to begin with.

The company is also getting worse about unecessary precautions and I'm at the point of wanting to quit out of frustration. Working a dead-end, poor paying job is bad enough without health forms and harassment over PPE.
Morale is down everywhere my man. Hang in there. Unless the job is abusive I wouldn't leave it now. I'm an oilfield man like @ChristianSilver except we aren't doing anything. If it weren't for the grant money that will run out next month, we would be cut in half. I'm down $4,000 a month right now in pay. It sucks.

I lost my job due to COVID-19 and for almost two months I was home, eating from fruit trees from our garden, first time in decade. But soon after I applied on https://hrex.org/nrega-job-card because they already had NREGA jobs card in India, so I could work of as they give cards which provide 100 days employment to the people belonging from rural areas. So already happy story began with them. And job card has all details regarding your work will be provided. The Best daily job and for someone alternative in case of crisis. I welcome you to visit and check for yourself and find out other details.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Still on furlough with no pay, since April 3rd. Things are tight here to say the least. I’ve cut spending down to minimal and it even affects my shooting to an extent. Any shooting that cannot be done with my current loading components and without fee does not happen right now.

I’ve kept busy and have been in good spirits even though it now looks like my company is going to close our plant. This is most certainly a year of change for us and we are living in interesting times.

Stay strong, brothers and sisters! 😎

Reactions: theLBC