• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show us your 0.0XX" 5 shot groups - .22 groups at 50 yards

...HOWEVER, first thing this am I did get a 0.0X with my Kidd 10/22 with Eley BR SA. Eley BR SA doesn't leave a nice black ring like Eley Match does, so the group took a bit more effort to properly measure and I had the large magnifier out. So for fairness, I used the higher reading of 0.057".

Maybe a bit of a fluke with a Kidd in near perfect winds, but the overall average of the 6 groups was .250".

Who's next to shoot and show theirs?

KIDD 10_22 2.jpg
KIDD 10_22 1.jpg

Reactions: *rim-star*
Verniers are very good for measuring components and similar things with fixed edges.

But .22 scoring is usually done with magnifiers and hole gauges.

I have mine somewhere… probably in a trunk full of old shooting stuff.

If anyone is shooting groups that are measuring 0.010 I would think one of these would be more useful than a vernier. Because you will “see” any spillover outside the blanking plate that is officially sized for a .22 bullet.

They come in all sizes, btw.

I use verniers daily and they are wonderful tools for measuring solids. Not as good as a
mic… but very good down to .5 tenths. But when you start trying to measure things like holes in ‘soft’ materials (or by holding the jaws over something) there is a lot more than a few thou of “by Gish or by gosh” error.

Perhaps someone should design a magnifier with concentric rings built in at .010 intervals? Not sure such a thing exists. Or an “set”not go/no go type gauges. I would think they would be more reliable than holding a vernier over a hole and then subtracting a diameter. At least when coming down to thousandths…

Just a thought. Have not had coffee. Excuse for controversial remarks. Interesting thread. I’ll have to try this next time I get 52 out.

Sirhr

So just after hitting post… came up with an easy way to do this…

Need to buy about 5 .30 cal magnifiers.

Set up in lathe collet and turn the centering post and the outer blanking ring down to increments of .010. Over the .22 standard tool. With a standard .22 tool, you would have the .000” group size covered.

The make custom measuring magnifiers at .230, .240, .250, .260, .270. Beyond that, you are perhaps outside the parameters and can probably visually spot a .050+ group as bigger than you are trying to achieve.

Or make a 10 gauge set. Looks like $100 for 10 magnifiers and an hour on a lathe would make a set that removes any doubt about group size.

Just a thought.

Sirhr

Reactions: DIBBS
Verniers are very good for measuring components and similar things with fixed edges.

If anyone is shooting groups that are measuring 0.010 I would think one of these would be more useful than a vernier. Because you will “see” any spillover outside the blanking plate that is officially sized for a .22 bullet.

I use verniers daily and they are wonderful tools for measuring solids. Not as good as a
mic… but very good down to .5 tenths. But when you start trying to measure things like holes in ‘soft’ materials (or by holding the jaws over something) there is a lot more than a few thou of “by Gish or by gosh” error.

Perhaps someone should design a magnifier with concentric rings built in at .010 intervals? Not sure such a thing exists. Or an “set”not go/no go type gauges. I would think they would be more reliable than holding a vernier over a hole and then subtracting a diameter. At least when coming down to thousandths…

Just a thought. Have not had coffee. Excuse for controversial remarks. Interesting thread. I’ll have to try this next time I get 52 out.

Sirhr
Yeah, it was definately harder to measure the 0.0X" group then a larger group was / is. I think aprt of the reason I had additional trouble measuring is because my group landed right in the middle of my point of aim box.

In my case, I used a vernier (mitutoyo) with a magnifying glass - which should be good for what we are doing. I think some might even use a ruler, which is definately too crude for accrurate group measurements.
thks

Sirhr
This is the plug I use, works very well. It was given to me by someone who is a fan of Anschutz 22LR. rifles.

20230820_103919.jpg

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Here is my only 0.0XX group. 50yd, RimX 20" Green Mountain M24 with my 22LR Match Eachus chamber shooting a tested lot of Lapua CenterX (606324) and its 10x5 AGG was 0.285". Smallest 50yd group Ive ever shot. This barrel also shot the smallest 100yd group Ive ever shot with an amazing lot of Federal Gold Medal Ultramatch I had at the time 0.187" and a 6x5 AGG of 0.592" and a 10x5 AGG of 0.662" (see below)

It was measured outside to outside black smudge mark (0.2335) at its widest point minus 0.223 = 0.0105. Its on row #10 below ammo lot test.

This is not my best shooting barrel. I have Krieger and Bartlein's that shoot 50yd 6x5 and 10x5 AGG in the 0.1's and 100yd AGG in the 0.3's and 0.4s. But, this barrel, to date, has produced my smallest ever 50yd and 100yd single 5 shot groups.

hUcCs6Y.jpg

zhEmf8P.jpg

Here is another outing I tested some more Lots @ 50yd. 2 other tested lots of CenterX had 10x5 AGG of 0.249" (700686) and 0.255" (65217).

ZxjGvWt.jpg

100yd

vQVqbkx.jpg

Last edited:
I actually have that 50yd 0.0XX shooting session on video for the review I was doing back then...

q6Int5g.jpg

bJciulI.jpg

ffLAaGy.jpg

mQkDlzY.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my only 0.0XX group. 50yd, RimX 20" Green Mountain M24 with my 22LR Match Eachus chamber shooting a tested lot of Lapua CenterX (606324) and its 10x5 AGG was 0.285". Smallest 50yd group Ive ever shot. This barrel also shot the smallest 100yd group Ive ever shot with an amazing lot of Federal Gold Medal Ultramatch I had at the time 0.187" and a 6x5 AGG of 0.592" and a 10x5 AGG of 0.662" (see below)

It was measured outside to outside black smudge mark (0.2335) at its widest point minus 0.223 = 0.0105

Here is another outing I tested some more Lots @ 50yd. 2 other tested lots of CenterX had 10x5 AGG of 0.249" (700686) and 0.255" (65217).

100yd
Maybe it's just my computer, but it won't show the pics?

Huh? You cant see the pictures.? I can see them on 5 different devices right in my post.

Can anyone else see the pictures in my above post???
Not sure why. I see the other pictures on here...
Below is how it shows on my computer / desktop and I cannot open them by clicking on them either.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 100757.png

Shot these 5 shot groups a few days ago while getting some practice and trying a couple different ammos. Wind wasn't helping much but I did manage to get a few good shots in.

20230917_203321.jpg

Reactions: Hambone8
I cleaned my Kidd 10/22 this weekend and got it ready for an upcoming match and was more or less sighting it in for benchrest shooting and shot this .140" - 5 shot group at 50 yards while prone off a homemade rear bag. Still only have shot one 0.0X so far...that was with the Kidd as well. Gotta produce the same with the Vudoo, but so far no luck- howeve, lots of .1's.

.1X.jpg

Last edited:
That's a damn good 10 shot my friend.
Thanks!!! I was on fire that day, seems every group was in the .1's.

What really drives me nuts is the one very low left shot was a missed wind call. I knew where it was going and just didn't make it happen. :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks!!! I was on fire that day, seems every group was in the .1's.

What really drives me nuts is the one very low left shot was a missed wind call. I knew where it was going and just didn't make it happen. :cry:
You make an interesting point. I find that certain and random days (not always wind related), my guns shoot better then on other days.

Is that just me? Or is this a real thing?

Since we have a show me your 0.0XX - 5 shot group. I wanna start a thread...show me your 10 shot 0.1XX groups - you can be the first as I haven't done it yet. A .2's yes, but not .1's for a ten shot.

You make an interesting point. I find that certain and random days (not always wind related), my guns shoot better then on other days.

Is that just me? Or is this a real thing?
Good and bad days usually fall on me.....I'm mostly the weak link. I have seen hot and cold weather have some effects on shooting.
Since we have a show me your 0.0XX - 5 shot group. I wanna start a thread...show me your 10 shot 0.1XX groups - you can be the first as I haven't done it yet. A .2's yes, but not .1's for a ten shot.
Sounds good....count me in!!

Reactions: Precision Quest
Picked up some Lapua Long Range and gave it a try today. Seems to shoot pretty good for me. Here are some of my results.....still no .0xx".

20231010_181949.jpg

20231010_181901.jpg

Here are 2 - 5 shot groups shot back to back at 50 yards with my stock Tikka T1X and Lapua Midas+ I cant remember the measurements but I am pretty sure they were less than .100" . Of course I cant do this all the time, but have since fired a few more with this rifle.

hZWYDhq.jpg

Here are 2 - 5 shot groups shot back to back at 50 yards with my stock Tikka T1X and Lapua Midas+ I cant remember the measurements but I am pretty sure they were less than .100" . Of course I cant do this all the time, but have since fired a few more with this rifle.

hZWYDhq.jpg
Definitely tight.....Well done!!

Reactions: *rim-star*