• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHRIKE Belt Fed Upper Reveiw and modification

C Snyder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
OK
Well this will be a short review of my new Shrike 5.56 upper I received last month. After initial break in and set up with the proper buffer and links, THIS THING ROCKS. Now I say that first because there were some initial teething problems.

First let me say that the feed tray was my largest concern with the firearm and you are basically forced into a $450 upgrade for a part that even in its current state needs improvement (I will cover the easy fix for that) I would not even want to guess the short life span of a stock factory tray, but not very long 2-3k rounds before it is trashed. Now the billet tray is a beautiful piece of work but even the steel tray I received started to show extreme wear after only 500rds. Being a CII and welder I fixed the problem. Most would be hesitant to TIG weld on a brand new $600 part, and be me it took a few beers and many hours to man up to the job, but I am very glad I did.

I should have taken better pics before the modification but if any one has seen the billet tray they know that on the right side it is very thin and almost as sharp as a razor. This metal started to bend and wear down very quickly from the metal M27 links dragging across the feed tray lip. I TIG welded a strip of 416SS (because it flows a little better for my setup) on the underside of the tray .25 wide and machined the angle back into the feed tray with an added thickness of .04 metal. Now this may not sound like much but I now have 3000 plus rounds through the modified tray with little to NO signs of wear or gouging.

Why you ask did I modify it myself instead of send it back to ARES? Because I can and I have waited 10 yrs for this thing and I’m not sending it back to receive the same part back. Now as a disclaimer I did leave them a message about the tray, but did not receive a call back after waiting a week. I would hope that ARES may read this review and modify there CNC program to leave the extra metal on the feed lips.

Ok enough on the one bad item with the SHRIKE now on to the good. I following the breaking instructions with several mags and couldn’t stand it any longer and tried a 20rd belt. Now unfortunealty I had several hundred rounds of the EVIL imported M27 links with holes that are too tight to run 100% in the SHRIKE. First 20rds American M27 links BUUUUURRRRP no problem. Then the first 100rd belt came out with the EVIL links. I got about 3 rounds in a started to have feeding problem with the EVIL import links. Oh well I thought I will just have to go back and find the good links and reload with them. Do you know how long it takes to unlink 3000 rds by hand? That sucked.

Ok rounds were loaded back up and after finding out what ammo it likes and what settings to use on the barrel I was 500rds down and looking for more ammo to link up.

I got both an adjustable and non-adjustable gas barrel. Both barrels with run wolf polycoted ammo very well. Federal SS193 makes it run like a turpentined cat and a little high RPM for my taste (1000+ RPM). The low or suppressor setting with the SS193 is AWSOME RPM about 600-650 ejection is to the rear but it is so controllable. Wolf ammo will run in the 800-850 RPM with med setting.

I added several accessories and built some other items myself. The best thing I think I added was my nutsack side mount. I really did not like the adaptor in the magwell because it could be accidently hit and would fall all the way out causing a malfunction or other problem, unlike a mag that you normally can just tap, tug resume. This also allows you to switch to a box mag quicker because you don’t have to deal with the adaptor and nutsack. Just leave it on, throw a mag in and rock-n-roll. I make the adaptor out of an old redimag holder and made a mount to hold an extra 20rd mag on the other side but it just didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped, so I took it off.

I modified a flip up rear peep sight and used some extra MI rails I had around the shop on the forearm. Top rail fit with no modification but I did melt the bottom mount into the plastic heat guard since I had to drill and tap holes for it. I really thought the rail system they offered was cool and looked functional but way over priced for what you got.

Same with the front sight and carry mount. Factory way overpriced so I will be making my own flip down fronts for each barrel and I made the barrel handle from a FN FAL. Enjoy the pics more to come as I plan on redoing the barrel handles with a M249 grip and make some type of detent to keep the top cover open like an RPD so my finger don’t get smashed while loading. And yes the MagPul stock did need a small amount to mill work done to the plastic to allow clearance for the charging handle

fvbghi.jpg

sotzdh.jpg

jhyput.jpg

2a84y6v.jpg

Re: SHRIKE Belt Fed Upper Reveiw and modification

Cool! I really want one for my transferable lower, I just can't stand indefinite waits so I probably will pick one up when I see one for sale used somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What until your rear lug breaks and they want $950 to fix it </div></div>

Is that a recurrent issue?

That looks like an fun accessory for the reloading room. How much $$?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What until your rear lug breaks and they want $950 to fix it </div></div>

OUCH!! How many rounds through it when it went south?

I have heard of this but have not seen and pictures or talked to anyone on the boards that have actually had this problem. Did yours break? and what lug are you talking about the bottom pin lug or the top lug that catches the feed tray?

Please send or post pic of the breakage and/or repair as I would like to see this.

I have heard of people that modified the lower rear lug to fit there RDIAS and had reports of one breaking. I could see that as a potential problem with warranty. Or if you run one with a LL I could see a problem even without modification to the upper.

Was your a RDIAS, LL or a RR? I know they recommend, and as I understand the warrenty, is with only a RR lower.

Please advise as this is important information.

its pretty cool lookin and all but whats the benifit of this over a beta mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its pretty cool lookin and all but whats the benifit of this over a beta mag?</div></div>

It's a belt! That's all you should have to say. It's a belt! It's like saying... it goes to 11!

Nice unit. I would like to know what they run cost-wise. Feed block looks just like the old Vickers and 1919 design.

Very cool and thanks for posting and for taking the time to write a review.

Cheers,

Sirhr

2yx1wsy.jpg

I have looked at the rear lug and can see where you could have a problem if the upper pin hole is a tight fit and you have some gap as the picture indicates. This creates a fulcrum point right at the thinnest point of the upper and the side rocking action of the belt feed could eventually break the lug off. A cheap and simple fix to this is some Celefane Boxing tape. This creates a wedge much like an accu-wedge but from the opposite side. You want to stop or limit the rocking action at the fulcrum.

DO NOT USE AN ACCU-WEDGE this will only make it worse.

Now it is obvious that more metal was taken out of the upper than needed simply buy the manufacturing process. The endmill that made the releaf cut for removal of the carrier made a side cut the full diameter of the mill. this took out the same amount of metal near the lug. Simple fix if they re-program the CNC to make the releaf cut in a different fashion. Only time will tell if this will be a problem with all uppers or only ones that have more slack.

The charging handle is prone to break as well. A friend has one and the charging handle has broke at least 2 times. It took a long time to get fixed as well. They are a shit ton of fun to shoot though.

Thanks for sharing and the pics! I had a deposit on one of these like 10 or so years ago.... Long story short my dealer who had done my deposit went out of business. It is cool to see people finally getting them even if I am not one of them.

All things considered I wish I had gotten in on the Micahaels Machines 23's instead. Anyway thanks again for the write up!

Yea I got mine as a range toy and it does put a smile on your face. I also got a Beltfed Precision BPP23E on the way. These are shooters not sellers.

After seeing the break and looking at the current design I think I have a pretty good preemptive fix/repair to beef up the rear lug.

I will take pictures of before and after. This fix will limit full auto to a RR M16 lower only.

Yea I have already looked at the charging handle too and am thinking about building one out of stainless steel or 4130 bar-stock.

Mine runs great now.
My first one went back to Ares and it took 6 months of pleading with Ares to fix it.
They sent it back to be still broken. I sent it back and they ended up replacing the upper as it was out of spec.

This is strictly a range toy for me. I wouldn't not feel comfortable taking this gun into battle with all the issues I've had.