• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How easy is it to find places to shoot, either a constructed range or open public land in WA, living in the Fort Lewis area?

I am not into comps, I prefer to go mid week with out crowds.

Thoughts of moving again, closer to home...Alaska.
Thanks
</div></div>

Well, there's range 15 on Fort Lewis, but it does get crowded and on the weekend, but it's a descent 300 yard range. Capitol Forest to the west of Fort Lewis is open state land. We're going there Monday. I've never been there but I'm told there are places out there to shoot long range if you know where to look. You're welcome to join us if you'd like.

Then you can shoot anywhere in the National Forest, but that can be a pain because you can't shoot across roads, water, or into trees
smirk.gif
. Who's NOT going to hit a tree in this state. You have to drive at least past Forest Road 74 on 410 to get to a good shooting site. And the gates may all still be closed. Probably not as good as Alaska, but there are a few places if you know where to look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How easy is it to find places to shoot, either a constructed range or open public land in WA, living in the Fort Lewis area?

Thanks
</div></div>

Do it!!!!

going to Douglas ridge, Oregon, for a 2 day Fclass match, 800-900-1000 yds, should be fun.

Group...

Just want to get a shout out to four of our own... Heading down to NorCal tomorrow....

Good luck Scott, Adam, Ron & Jake..... shoot straight!

Somebody try to take some pictures.... or something....
wink.gif

Yeah guys have fun, bring back some loot.
Chris hope to go down to Douglas as well, still trying to get the time off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diggerline59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daps, where about Lacey are you? I'm near the Amtrak station, at least until I go back to my last semester of school in Montana in august. It would be nice to be able to get out and shoot with some people a bit this summer. </div></div>

hey man, im off fones rd. the three of us should link up and shoot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diggerline59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daps, where about Lacey are you? I'm near the Amtrak station, at least until I go back to my last semester of school in Montana in august. It would be nice to be able to get out and shoot with some people a bit this summer. </div></div>

hey man, im off fones rd. the three of us should link up and shoot... </div></div>

agreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How easy is it to find places to shoot, either a constructed range or open public land in WA, living in the Fort Lewis area?

Thanks
</div></div>
ITs not that bad I live near Lewis and it's about a 30 min drive to shoot 800 yds. If you only need 300 then Lewis has a pretty decent POW range. </div></div>

Daps, where are you finding the 800 yards? Capitol forest? Would any of you mind letting a Noob tag along on one of your shoots in the local area. I haven't gotten out to more than 200 yards yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diggerline59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daps, where about Lacey are you? I'm near the Amtrak station, at least until I go back to my last semester of school in Montana in august. It would be nice to be able to get out and shoot with some people a bit this summer. </div></div>

hey man, im off fones rd. the three of us should link up and shoot... </div></div>

agreed. </div></div>

Sounds good to me! Should be picking up a fixed 10x mil dot scope in a couple weeks so my rifle will a bit more effective at long range.

Very nice! Found a decent spot to shoot last weekend. Not sure how far though. I was dialing up 37 moa to hit though. It was also a little up hill.

There are quite a few places in Capitol Forest that a guy can get out to 1500+yds. Pretty sure Tightgroup is shooting a 308.

Most of the elevations are under 1000'. 37 MOA gets me to 1350yds at 700'ASL. Probably right at 1k with a 308 depending on the load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are quite a few places in Capitol Forest that a guy can get out to 1500+yds. Pretty sure Tightgroup is shooting a 308.

Most of the elevations are under 1000'. 37 MOA gets me to 1350yds at 700'ASL. Probably right at 1k with a 308 depending on the load. </div></div>

Wow, thats a lot of MOA's. I only need 13.5 MIL's to get there :)

<span style="color: #000099"> </span> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">All you fine folks have an outstanding holiday weekend. Instead of shooting, I got roped into going camping...and the weather forecast aint good. Oh well.... Lets hope our members make a good showing at the competition in CA.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How easy is it to find places to shoot, either a constructed range or open public land in WA, living in the Fort Lewis area?

Thanks
</div></div>
ITs not that bad I live near Lewis and it's about a 30 min drive to shoot 800 yds. If you only need 300 then Lewis has a pretty decent POW range. </div></div>

Daps, where are you finding the 800 yards? Capitol forest? Would any of you mind letting a Noob tag along on one of your shoots in the local area. I haven't gotten out to more than 200 yards yet. </div></div>
Anytime, the more the merrier. I don't guard my spot. we'll set it up I'm not available this weekend but I have a few open weekends till I go to the magpul/CCP PR 1 course in Yakima Jun 17-19. Let's get a small group 4-5 guys and go.

Sorry for the delay. Yeah it's a .308 shooting 175smk. Target location is at 1330 ft and shooting location was 955 ft all in capital forest.

FYI -

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2586450&Board=13

Hey guys, I'm looking for some <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">6mm Ackley Improved</span></span> brass to fart around with. Brass doesn't have to be in great shape, blown primer pockets are fine by me. I just need the over-all length and shape of the brass to be 6mm Ackley Improved correct.

JohnSiebel_6imp_03x185.jpg

PM me if you have any you want to get rid of. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you up to now.....?
wink.gif
</div></div>
Who? Me?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daps, maybe next weekend? It's our anniversary this weekend so I'm out this weekend, but maybe next. </div></div>

Sounds good who else is in?

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Preferably Saturday.</span>

Damn it! I forgot, I have drill the weekend of the 4th. Any chance of doing another shoot the weekend of the 18th???

Guys, I'm gonna go shooting on Monday, in Ellensburg (Durr rd. location) I plan on being there around 8:30, if anyone wants to join me you are more than welcome, I believe Scott still has his Iron hanging. I have got to put my new Benchmark barrel to the test.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Preferably Saturday.</span>

Damn it! I forgot, I have drill the weekend of the 4th. Any chance of doing another shoot the weekend of the 18th??? </div></div>

I was thinking Sunday the 5th. Nemo the weekend of the 18th I'll be in Yakima attending CCP/magpul dynamics Precision rifle course. There are still empty slots last I heard if anybody else wants to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I'm gonna go shooting on Monday, in Ellensburg (Durr rd. location) I plan on being there around 8:30, if anyone wants to join me you are more than welcome, I believe Scott still has his Iron hanging. I have got to put my new Benchmark barrel to the test.
SScott</div></div>

SS... I was out there this morning... did a lot of target maintenance... they are all GTG! Wind was a SWITCHY, LITTLE, BACK-TALKING BIOTCH! I swear, if you can shoot well in that valley, when the wind is up... you can shoot well anywhere...
eek.gif

On that note... if you guys shoot out there... please don't hesitate to fix a target, if one goes down.......
wink.gif

Hey guys, just went to clean my rifle after getting the new stock on it, and I can't remove the bolt. When I press up on the bolt release button it doesn't move. Looks like it's already resting against the piece of the trigger before I push on it. Anyone have any ideas on what may be up with it? I've got a Remington 700.

ETA: just looked at it a little more, and I can pry the button up, but when I depress it, nothing happens. Feels like it's not attached to anything

You just installed a new stock, does the bolt stop still have enough travel, have you tried taking a small flat screwdriver and giving it a little push.

I don't know if this applies but will chime in.

When I got my new stock, the bolts/screws were too long (for the stock) and caused the bolt to bind up.

The bolt wouldn't cycle at all. I needed to shorten the bolts/screws by about a thread or so and then torque again to the specs I found recommended, 65 inch pounds for non-bedded and 55 inch pounds for bedded.

Seekers

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not very experienced working with bolt guns. I got the bolt out, but the release is either gummed up or the spring came off when we put the new stock on it. can I just scrub it and lube it without removing the stock? or do I have to go back and pull the stock off again.

Tribe, I'd like to check out your area there sometime. Is it just open land or national forest? Where do you live? It's a bit of a drive, but if I can get the wife to buy off on it, I could get away with something like that once every month or two. Let me know next time you go.

SScott, I actually have Mondays off regularly. I'd go with you this Monday, but it's my only day off for two weeks so the wife would neuter me if I went the 6th.

Capt.... it's the same spot SScott is talking about... we've had some informal shoots & matches out there... I'm sure we will again.
wink.gif

Diggs... I'd just take it apart, and put it back together, until it works right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diggerline59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, just went to clean my rifle after getting the new stock on it, and I can't remove the bolt. When I press up on the bolt release button it doesn't move. Looks like it's already resting against the piece of the trigger before I push on it. Anyone have any ideas on what may be up with it? I've got a Remington 700.

ETA: just looked at it a little more, and I can pry the button up, but when I depress it, nothing happens. Feels like it's not attached to anything </div></div>

bring it by and we'll it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt.... it's the same spot SScott is talking about... we've had some informal shoots & matches out there... I'm sure we will again.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll stay tuned and try to join you next time you go out there. I'd like to at least watch some guys that know what they're doing and learn.

I was out yesterday as well shootig in the wind. I was playing on Stage 9 on the 1250yd target. I moved my silohette (Abdul) down there for a better back stop, & I wanted to hear him ring. Too bad it was too windy/noisy to hear it tho. Anyway I was banging away with the 225HPBT, & I was hitting about 1/4-1/2 moa high. I looked to my PDA with several corrections, & couldn't find any reason for it.(I did a correction last week in light wind, with no mirage.) So I got down, & watched the mirage for a while. I noticed that the target would appear to drop, relitive to my crosshairs when the wind died, & would climb up, & a little right when the mirage started to run hard as the wind gusts came through. I think I was watching the target image displace in the direction the mirage was running. It was also consistant with the hight of the impact change too, so I thought I'd pass it on to the rest of you, & I'd like to hear your thoughts, & experiences with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt.... it's the same spot SScott is talking about... we've had some informal shoots & matches out there... I'm sure we will again.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll stay tuned and try to join you next time you go out there. I'd like to at least watch some guys that know what they're doing and learn.</div></div>

Heh.... you'll have to find another group to tag along with then....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was out yesterday as well shootig in the wind. I was playing on Stage 9 on the 1250yd target. I moved my silohette (Abdul) down there for a better back stop, & I wanted to hear him ring. Too bad it was too windy/noisy to hear it tho. Anyway I was banging away with the 225HPBT, & I was hitting about 1/4-1/2 moa high. I looked to my PDA with several corrections, & couldn't find any reason for it.(I did a correction last week in light wind, with no mirage.) So I got down, & watched the mirage for a while. I noticed that the target would appear to drop, relitive to my crosshairs when the wind died, & would climb up, & a little right when the mirage started to run hard as the wind gusts came through. I think I was watching the target image displace in the direction the mirage was running. It was also consistant with the hight of the impact change too, so I thought I'd pass it on to the rest of you, & I'd like to hear your thoughts, & experiences with this.</div></div>
Bigs... I've been scratchin' my head about the same thing....... a LOT lately.

Not only mirage... but "vertical windage"... I'm of the opinion that, this is a VASTLY more significant atmospheric, than we tend to give credit.... especially in the vertically diverse terrain we tend to shoot in.

Ever notice how much the curtains on an open window move, at virtually the same moment a door is closed on the oposite end of the house? .......Been spending a lot of time staring at the fish tank lately.........
whistle.gif

I'm not sure there's going to be much more to it, than the pondering though... ultimately, I think it falls into the Shooter Voodoo, or SWAG Instincts that develop only through much Zen time, out in the elements....

I hear Ya'. I thought about the updraft thing for a while, but the wind direction just didn't add up that way for me.(this time) I even went back up to the tgt, & did some wind reading up there just to confirm. Thats when I decided to just sit on the scope for a while aiming @ the tgt, & watch what the mirage did. That was when I saw the tgt appear to move up, & right about 1/4-1/2 moa with the wind gusts. That also happened to be the same as where I was hitting. High. The left/right thing was almost certainly wind caused. But I am really beginning to like these 225's. Even with the wind, & mirage, I was able to get 1st, & 2nd rnd hits @ 1300yd,(couldn't hear them tho, & started messing around, looking for splash. Couldn't see any.)So I moved the tgt, & went 8 for 10 @ 1250yd. Like to hear what the guys in E-Burg say when they get back. Anyway, I'm going to look into this more from now on.