• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

Oh piss off!
wink.gif
I wasn't even using targets <span style="font-weight: bold">and you know it!</span>

oh well, them "shot groups of 1" are always perfect, aren't they?
laugh.gif

Ranger, I found that one reason I like the 6.5x47L is that I got great performance for very little powder used when compared to .260. Also, 6.5x47L seemed to shoot fantastically no matter what the load. During my load development everything was sub-moa. Most were easily 1/2moa and some were getting very close to 1/4MOA.

I need to shoot more of both to get a better feel for them. I've been really lazy recently when it comes to reloading.

6.5x47 did seem to show it's high pressure-ness in the form of cratering and the need for full length sizing after about 3 firings.

Hey Ranger thanks for taking the time to put all theat info down for me.
I did not know that the 6.5 was considered low pressure or that It could give me problems if I stoked the fire behind it.

I really think I am going to go with a 260. Right now I am looked hard at pulling the factory 308 barrel of of that VTR and converting it over to 260. who knows maybe even a DBM one day

Yup everybody is paid up I belive....maybe not Rotortuner but he might be far and away also...or I could not remember depositing it also...

260 sucks.....go with the 7-08 so you can be my test pilot!!

We'll see what happens when the 6x47L comes out to play! Muuuhaaahhahahah ::ack/cough:: aahahahahaaa!
wink.gif

DSM has an excellent point! The Berger 180's have the best BC on the block. 7mm is a great projectile and 7mm-08 have proven to buck the wind better than <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span> 6.5/.264 projectile made! As recently posted, "7mm-08 is the best of both worlds".

No BS. Seriously consider the 7mm route!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll see what happens when the 6x47L comes out to play! Muuuhaaahhahahah ::ack/cough:: aahahahahaaa!
wink.gif
</div></div>

you mean with the knock-down power of an angry moth? pffffffffft!

Oh now you've done it.... she's just been christened "The Angry Moth"... "The Very VERY Angry Moth!" Soon she shall be unleashed! Woe be unto thee whom "pffffffft" within her presence! Muuhahahahaha ::ack/cough:: uuuhhahahhaaaa....

Google?

I wasn't going to make any more fun of Tribe without him being here...but since you are back in the neighbor hood!!!

Going to Portland the 28th after work and coming back the 30th if someone want's their Tshirts....I drivr the canal down and back. Can't remember where I jump onto I5 but if someone wants to meet up we could probably do a swap.

If noone meets me on the road when is the next outing Scouting Trip near Grahm scheduled?

What exactly were your search parameters?.... "Very angry Moth-like-Kick-ass calibers"....?

i squash angry moths every day tribe! hey on another note got my binocs today tell you what thats some nice glass from a brand i never heard of. i have only looked at things maybe a hundred yards away so i cant wait till hunting season.

Heads up SHWW! What was the "Sportmen's Warehouse" here in Spokane is now owned by a Canadian outfit.

They have somewhere from 50 - 100 <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">cases</span></span> (1000 primers each) of CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers #250 in stock. $27.99 per case (thousand).

Who needs some? You must be able to meet me in the Seattle area tomorrow and re-pay me in cash.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwidow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i squash angry moths every day tribe! hey on another note got my binocs today tell you what thats some nice glass from a brand i never heard of. i have only looked at things maybe a hundred yards away so i cant wait till hunting season. </div></div>

btw, congrats on winning the binos! You're a lucky man for sure! Give us an optics report when you get the time, ok?

Can't wait for our next SHWW shoot. Any ideas of when?

I am thinking it will be Longeye's call as to when or where....probably after fire season is done...just to be safe. Our spot we went to is more than likely buzzing with hunters. We do have another spot open year round that has 100-200-300-400 and 660 yards....steel is a-ok there as well...could talk to the owner and see if he would let us do some night shoots as well????

Ranger....is the SS 3-9 a 30mm tube? Have you used or seen one yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pro sessions</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new here just thought i would say hello </div></div>

Welcome welcome....as you can see we are trying to get a Long Range shoot lined up in the near future if you have any 1000 yard range access?

I'm looking into some other options including 1911fan's suggestion of a spot near e-burg. I'm thinking of going out tomorrow just to get some trigger time in---anybody else gonna be at a local range?

Ok I am sorry to back track in the thread, but I was out of town on a camping trip for a while.
so let me see if I get this straght the argument(discussion) is between 7mm 08 and 260.
So my question is not just what may be better, but if you already own a 308 is 7mm o8 that much better. I look at 260 and I see very obvious advantages, it does not seem as greatof a differance when compared to 7mm 08.
enlighten me oh squasher of moths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I am sorry to back track in the thread, but I was out of town on a camping trip for a while.
so let me see if I get this straght the argument(discussion) is between 7mm 08 and 260.
So my question is not just what may be better, but if you already own a 308 is 7mm o8 that much better. I look at 260 and I see very obvious advantages, it does not seem as greatof a differance when compared to 7mm 08.
enlighten me oh squasher of moths </div></div>

I need to know the barrel length you want, the distance you plan to shoot, and the type of targets you are going to engage. Hunting, and "real" tactical use? Or shooting paper and ringing steel? These answers will help me give you the best advice I can.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=896951&page=1

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

For me the reason for the 7-08 is this: Lengthy and all over the board but you get the idea.

-Higher BC than 308cal...308Win is great but if you handload the 7-08 is greater...if you so popularly "loose" your ammo if someone has ammo the odds are better that they have 7-08 over 260.

-Cheap to shoot....equal or lesser to the cost of 308Win

-Good brass available with minimal work to run 308Win Lapua brass for 10+ reloads

- Not even close to a barrel burner---same as 308 Win though...probably less life than 308 Win

-Can run it in an extremly short barrel--older pumps would run 16-18"

- Broad range of powder usable in it---for 175gr SMK Sierra liste everything from Varget to IMR4350...Varget for the 223 and IMR4350 for the other mag rounds....less selection of powder needed when buying bulk

-A 30 MOA base is plenty for a 1000+ shootout...probably go 20MOA if you wanted to push it near the bottom of turret

-Minimal recoil----same or less as 308Win probably more than 260 though

-100gr up to 175gr is common bullet weights....180Berger if you want to but from what I have gathered if you want to run the 180Berger you would need to run a L/A and would be way better served with a 280AI

I do not own either but the 7-08 will be my next rifle I have built up...put your imagining glasses on for a minuite.

Buy a 5R barreled action or full rifle and sell off the barrel or keep and build slowly....there is a 5R barreled action here for $650 that I really want to commit to but.....basicly get a SS S/A .473 action and put a 1-9" twist Rock on it in Rem Varmint contour....cut to 18" and mount in an A1-3....pretty frigging light riflr even built with a Sniper Fill MCM.

Other option and the more realistic option for me is buy a SPS Varminter off of GB for $500 and sell the stock and bottom metal....get $70 for them off the Hide....use a machined follower from my bone yard and use the SS ADL trigger guard and the Walnut ADL stock...easy enough to open the barrel channel and start out with the 26" barrel and hacksaw it off 2" at a time....with a mild load and find an average velocity drop for that barrel....usng that velocity info for my custom made barrel length...pull the trigger and base off and have a local machinet buddy chuck up the barreled action and give me a good crown at 18".

When that factory barrel is wasted...7-8 thousand rounds later spin on a custom maker barrel...sooner if funds allow.

This is just what I go to sleep thinking about but maybe the 260 is a better round for you Dafar????

The RSO should chime in here sooner than later with the pros for the 260!!!

I know but they have so many colors...rose...cherry blossom...lipstick pink....not to mention the Satin or Matte or even gloss!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=896951&page=1

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

For me the reason for the 7-08 is this: Lengthy and all over the board but you get the idea.

-Higher BC than 308cal...308Win is great but if you handload the 7-08 is greater...if you so popularly "loose" your ammo if someone has ammo the odds are better that they have 7-08 over 260.

-Cheap to shoot....equal or lesser to the cost of 308Win

-Good brass available with minimal work to run 308Win Lapua brass for 10+ reloads

- Not even close to a barrel burner---same as 308 Win though...probably less life than 308 Win

-Can run it in an extremly short barrel--older pumps would run 16-18"

- Broad range of powder usable in it---for 175gr SMK Sierra liste everything from Varget to IMR4350...Varget for the 223 and IMR4350 for the other mag rounds....less selection of powder needed when buying bulk

-A 30 MOA base is plenty for a 1000+ shootout...probably go 20MOA if you wanted to push it near the bottom of turret

-Minimal recoil----same or less as 308Win probably more than 260 though

-100gr up to 175gr is common bullet weights....180Berger if you want to but from what I have gathered if you want to run the 180Berger you would need to run a L/A and would be way better served with a 280AI

I do not own either but the 7-08 will be my next rifle I have built up...put your imagining glasses on for a minuite.

Buy a 5R barreled action or full rifle and sell off the barrel or keep and build slowly....there is a 5R barreled action here for $650 that I really want to commit to but.....basicly get a SS S/A .473 action and put a 1-9" twist Rock on it in Rem Varmint contour....cut to 18" and mount in an A1-3....pretty frigging light riflr even built with a Sniper Fill MCM.

Other option and the more realistic option for me is buy a SPS Varminter off of GB for $500 and sell the stock and bottom metal....get $70 for them off the Hide....use a machined follower from my bone yard and use the SS ADL trigger guard and the Walnut ADL stock...easy enough to open the barrel channel and start out with the 26" barrel and hacksaw it off 2" at a time....with a mild load and find an average velocity drop for that barrel....usng that velocity info for my custom made barrel length...pull the trigger and base off and have a local machinet buddy chuck up the barreled action and give me a good crown at 18".

When that factory barrel is wasted...7-8 thousand rounds later spin on a custom maker barrel...sooner if funds allow.

This is just what I go to sleep thinking about but maybe the 260 is a better round for you Dafar????

The RSO should chime in here sooner than later with the pros for the 260!!! </div></div>

Joe,

You present excellent arguements. However, my advice to Dafar is to not go with the 7mm-08. For a short action, non-magnum 7mm, my advice is to build a rifle chambered in 284 Winchester.

284 Winchester is an original "wanna-be" short action magnum. It uses the standard .473 bolt face like the 7mm-08, but then widens out to .501 inches. The 7mm-08 holds 55.0 grains of water. The .284 holds 66.0 grains of water. Both cartridges were designed for shooting 7mm bullets in a short action.

If I was going to build a <span style="font-weight: bold">NON-magnum</span> 7mm in a short action, I would go with the .284 Winchester.

Here's some numbers for you.

<span style="font-weight: bold">7mm-08 Remington vs. .284 Winchester in a Remington 700 short action rifle</span>

Cartridge = <span style="font-weight: bold">.284 Win.</span>
Projectile type = <span style="font-weight: bold">175 grain Sierra Matchking with boattail</span>

Propellant type = <span style="font-weight: bold">Hodgdon H4350</span>
Charge weight (gr) = <span style="font-weight: bold">50.4</span>
Projectile weight (gr)= <span style="font-weight: bold">175</span>

Muzzle velocity = <span style="font-weight: bold">2789 fps</span>
Fraction of powder burnt = <span style="font-weight: bold">99.1 %</span>
Length of barrel (in) = <span style="font-weight: bold">26.000</span>

Max.avg.pressure (Piezo CIP) = 63817 psi
Maximum pressure = 63593 psi
Length of cartridge (in)= 2.800
Case capacity (Grains Water) = <span style="font-weight: bold">66.00</span>
Length of projectile (in) = 1.444
Seating depth (in) = 0.814

284-Winchester-487x600.jpg

Cartridge = <span style="font-weight: bold">7 mm-08 Rem.</span>
Projectile type = <span style="font-weight: bold">175 grain Sierra Matchking with boattail</span>

Propellant type = <span style="font-weight: bold">Hodgdon VARGET</span>
Charge weight (gr) = <span style="font-weight: bold">38.2</span>
Projectile weight (gr) = <span style="font-weight: bold">175</span>

Muzzle velocity = <span style="font-weight: bold">2567 fps</span>
Fraction of powder burnt = <span style="font-weight: bold">100 %</span>
Length of barrel (in) = <span style="font-weight: bold">26.000</span>

Max.avg.pressure (Piezo CIP) = 60191 psi
Maximum pressure = 60148 psi
Length of cartridge (in) = 2.800
Case capacity (Grains Water) = <span style="font-weight: bold">55.00</span>
Length of projectile (in) = 1.444
Seating depth (in) = 0.679

7mm-08_Remington-600x586.jpg

Faster and flatter yeah but how about barrel life in the 284? Also what about quality brass? Lapua makes 6.5x284 brass don't they....quick up size I guess.....also though for all those people that always forget their ammo!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Faster and flatter yeah but how about barrel life in the 284? Also what about quality brass? Lapua makes 6.5x284 brass don't they....quick up size I guess.....also though for all those people that always forget their ammo!!!!! </div></div>

You are correct that the 7mm-08 will burn barrels slower than the .284 Winchester, but the extra 200 fps gain (use Reloader 17 and figure on +300 fps gain) is worth it to me.

use Winchester .284 brass. There is a significant supply at the Cabela's here. MidwayUSA also has it in stock on their website.

.284 is <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> the same as the 6.5-284 when it comes to barrel burning. The .284's not under the same intense pressure that the 6.5-284 is. Makes for longer barrel life.

But heck! Its all up to Dafar and I'm just putting in my idea which we all know is worth about $.02!

It's all good!
grin.gif

Yeah but it is fun to discuss!!! You would run the 284 Win over the 260Rem? Wanna sell yours then?!!! Or does the faster flatter of the 260 beat out as far as wind and retention of energy/velocity? Is the 260 get into the barrels life though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but it is fun to discuss!!! You would run the 284 Win over the 260Rem? Wanna sell yours then?!!! Or does the faster flatter of the 260 beat out as far as wind and retention of energy/velocity? Is the 260 get into the barrels life though? </div></div>

My 260 is <span style="font-weight: bold">ALWAYS</span> for sale!
grin.gif

It's price, however, runs most people away pretty fast. Just the rifle, no optics, ammo, etc. runs a bit over $3K. Discussions have always ended at that point so far.

You want match grade 260 Black Hills ammo? Have I got a deal for you!

You want some of the extras? No problem! It's just a matter of having enough money!
grin.gif

I won't clain that the .284 Winchester will shoot as flat or as fast as a .260 Remington. I will say that it's knock down power on the receiving end is a heck of a lot better! Besides, a pushed to the max .260 will reduce barrel life just as a pushed to the limit 7mm-08 or .284 will.

Once again, my $.02!
laugh.gif

Wow guys that really is alot to digest.

Since Ranger asked the is what I am looking for:
I am on a limited budget with kids in college so I need to work with what I have.

I have Two Remington short actions to Choose from for a conversion.
One is a VTR in 308 (has the wierd triangular barrel, which is sitting in a HS Precision Remington LTR stock rather (light)
The second is an is a 300 wsm hunting rifle. This is the one I thought about turning into the 7mm wsm and sticking into the Mcrees stock that I have

Additionally I have my Remington PSS in 308 that I would like to leave as is (save for a replacemnt barrel when the day comes.

I realize that I am probably looking at having to modify two rifles to do what I want however:

What I am looking for first is a non barrel burning caliber with available brass that shoots flatter preferably with less reoil than the 308. this is so I can bang away all day without my shoulder acting up and also so my daughter can shoot it a little more comfortably.

I would like the platform to be a more field manageable than than the pss was in the Mcree stock so that I can shoot the off hand positions better in the tactical matches(thats why I am looking at something like the 260 that can be popped into the LTR stock).

I would like to be able to go to 1 k or maybe streched to our new ranges 1150.

Hopefully this helps. so far I am relizing that what I probably need to do is turn the 300 wsm into a 7mm wsm and pop it into the Mcree as a long range heavy that I only shoot a little bit prone and for the matches a 260 into my LTR Stock.

SO there you go , OK Guys rip me a new one on my thinking process

I would look for one rig and build the shit out of it. I have thought quite a bit about selling my 300WM just because it is too heavy for mobile field use and it is a fun rifle for the LR but somthing that can be shot all day long in 10rd strings with 2 minute coolings between is cool. Even better if you go middle of the road with weight and barrel length. Just looking at the McCree it looks like a Prone and bench only chassis.

I am really thinking about changing my 300WM right now because the stock is back at MCM for repair and looking at barreled action, makes me wonder if I would want to try out a different stock???

No neeed for a bigger caliber yet...nowhere to shoot any further!!! I can still go up 60gr in bullet weight if I wanted to also....that would probably help if I find somewhere longer than we have now.

I live on the dry side but of most of my work over here,anybody here know of anywhere close to S.Everett to test fire and 100 YD Zero rifles?I don't know any shooters around here,hell,I called every gun shop in the area to find a carbine gas tube for an AR-15,not one had parts,just accessories.

I agree about the Mcree I used it at the Jim the plumber match and I had a hard time manuvering with it. It is a spectacular prone stock though