• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sidearms when hunting

Re: Sidearms when hunting

S&W 329 PD .44 loaded with 280 gr. WFN hardcast just below Mach. I carry it in an El Paso Saddlery "tanker" holster. Or H&K USP .40 loaded with 200 gr. WFN hardcast at 1000 fps in an Eagle drop holster I bought from "ridge".

I carry my Glock 34, especially when predator hunting, never know what might sneak in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Do you carry a sidearm when hunting deer/elk/antelope/other big game with a rifle?
2. If yes, what is your preferred sidearm?
3. What is your preferred load in the sidearm? </div></div>

1. Sometimes
2. Glock 22
3. Hornady XTP 180gr. and a healthy dose of AA#9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a bit of a debate with my brother this weekend over the subject of carrying a sidearm when deer hunting with a rifle. It got me thinking about what other people do, so here's my questions:

1. Do you carry a sidearm when hunting deer/elk/antelope/other big game with a rifle?

Went to Alaska Sept 2008 to hunt Grizzly with my CZ550 in 9.3x62mm. Took my 4-5/8" ss Ruger Blackhawk shooting the 45 Colt with a 335 gr LBT WFN as back up and low and behold shot this @ 15 yds. Used a max charge of Lil'Gun in Starline brass. Now prefer my cast 280 gr WFN, again by LBT using H110 and Fed 150 primers.
AlanGriffith20084.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1} Yes, I only hunt with a handgun {Hogs}.
2} A ported Ruger Redhawk .41MAG w/ 7 1/2" barrel
3} 210 gr. Factory loads

I carry a Glock 19 when hunting with bow or rifle it just makes me feel a little safer when walking to my stands in the dark especially with mountain lion sightings and bobcat in the are where I hunt.

i can take down anything but an elephant with a well placed shot from my .270 im confident no sidearm for me
smile.gif