• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft "Sidewinder", great compact wood stove

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
For backpacking I have a Trail Designs Sidewinder conical titanium sheet stove in the Caldera Cone style.

It's a 3-fuel system. (Alcohol, ESBIT and wood)
1. ALCOHOL-> An alcohol burner specifically designed for this stove is included. It works well at all altitudes up to 15,000 ft.

2. ESBIT-> This German made fuel comes in small, white cubes and it's my preferred fuel in summer. It has several advantages over alcohol. With the insluded "Gram Cracker" ESBIT tablet holder and the conical stove it is THE most effecient ESBIT stove on the planet. Don't ask - I've built many ESBIT stoves in teh past and never equalled the Caldera Cone's efficiency.

3. WOOD-> Trail Design's optional Inferno woodburning insert makes this stove into a true "gassifier" wood stove that burns its own initial combustion gasses, thus the term gassifier.
And the Inferno is HOT! It uses only finger-sized wood twigs but a big handful can burn for 10 minutes, enough to boil a quart of water, especially with hardwood.

All this (except the alky burner) rolls up and fits <span style="font-style: italic">inside</span> my small 3 cup aluminum pot, for which the stove is sized.

But you can buy larger Sidewinders for larger pots or the taller Tri-Ti model for even larger wood capacity.

Makes a great winter camping stove and gives you a nice campfire when the pot is removed. Stomp down a stove platform in your "kitchen" area and lay down 4 or 5 wrist-sized branches as a base for the titanium sheet floor plate. No problems with melting the platform when done this way. (Remember to stomp out a bench seat opposite your stove. Sit on your sleep pad.)

I much prefer this stove to the Canadian made Bush Buddy gassifier, which is a great stove, just not compact enough or windproof.

Re: "Sidewinder", great compact wood stove

For those who haven't got a clue as to what one of these things are (as I had), here's a link to the whole setup. Sidewinder with Inferno gassifier, and all the trimmings

And here is the Canadian Bush Buddy

Now, a whole whack of time ago, when I was wanting a small stove for my hiking/backpacking adventures, I would use my Optimus 8R Hunter . This thing was a little powerhouse, once it was primed. For doing so, is where I started perfecting my own 'napalm' recipe, because the white-gas that you carried would get wasted too much, to prime wherever it was cold and/or windy.

Napalm worked SO much better. Then a small amount of fuel would go a long, long way.

Thanks Sean, those links help a lot. I should have included the Trail Designs Sidewinder link.

Thanks for posting this. Really nice system and the price isn't bad at all for the capability. I think having wood as an option is a necessity. It's either that or bring too much fuel!