• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Cooking in the field

Will do. Would also love to hear any advice on foods, recipes you would care to share. what/how to dehydrate. What is best for useful caloric intake and energy.

Many thanks for your time!

I built my own meals at home, dehydrated soups and meals like Hamburger Helper type. Egg Beaters is super but it turns an odd color. Egg Beaters with Reindeer sauge. Oatmeal with bacon. Get creative. Dehydrate or buy dehydrated meats. I would cook up burger, moose or beef, pork, caribou, chicken, etc and then suck the life out of it. Store bought is better at being dehydrated but home taste better. I place one complete meal in a 1 qt freeze zip lock bag. When I say complete it is, mix, meat, seasoning everything but water. Place the complete meal bags in a larger food bag, either a large zip or turkey roast cooking bag that also can be used in for things in the back country.

Now in the backcountry, boil water and pour it in the zip lock, seal it up and let it sit. If you place the bag inside your cook pot with a little hot water left in, it will lose less heat and hydrate a little quicker. We / I would eat out of the bag unless I was guiding and my charge (client) did not want to then I would pour the food into his mug. The used zip locks become daily trash bags. If possible, I would burn the trash bag and stuff the ash in another bag with no food residue or bury it. No the plastic does not melt during cooking in boiling water.

Now for super food, buy a can of cinnamon rolls. Place a few in a plastic bag, place that bag inside your pot with a little boiling water, about an inch deep, keep the boil going and until you get practice, the amount of water so you may have to add a little at a time to keep the boil. Yep, cinnamon rolls in the backcountry. A can of biscuits will provide fresh bread, doughnuts and crust for pizzas cooked the same way. Its a heavy meal but my charges loved it when they woke up to hot cinnamon rolls or in camp after a hard day, decompress for pizza.

Another favorite is fried bagels. Just like it sounds, I would use squeeze butter in a pan, squeeze it on bagels, and then fry bagels in the pan. Drop some sugar, cinnamon, pack of restaurant jelly, choco chips, etc and gourmet in the backcountry.

I carried cans of Pringles too. The tube does not crush and the empty tube has other uses. Fairly light food for the calories.

For heavy trips, pepperoni, grated cheese, and such always adds flavor. I almost always take a bottle of squeeze butter, flavors everything and adds fat calories, only on super light pushes and then its everything cut down and superlight. Instant rice and potato flakes add mass and volume for no weight plus calories but its fast burn calorie.

That is a start, if I can think and anything else I will add it on but main point is, be creative and look and think. Store bought backcountry food is junk compared to what can be made from home.

Lastly, Logan Bread has just about the most calories per ounce of food weight there is. Taste good too.

I had two different types of food, guiding would be a heavier food so I could treat charges right. And then super light, pure super light calories, taste not so much of a thought.

good luck

Last edited:
Back before kids, when I was doing more camping, I was able to get reasonably minimalist with my gear yet still live comfortably. Two exceptions to my quest for less is better...

1. Is a mil issue squad stove I got surplus to the Marine Corps needs back in 86. It was brand new, dated 1952, comes in the aluminum tube that can double as a cooking pot if you dare. Weighs a lot, not at all cutting edge, but is multi fuel and always lights/burns hot. It is accompanied by a lightweight aluminum coffee percolator. Hot coffee is good where ever you may be.

2. Is a small 3 pole/canvas seat that weighs little to keep ass off/out of mud and snow.

The polliwogs get a little bigger they will learn the way of the camp stool and stove. 5 yo daughter just recently diagnosed with T1D and hoping we can find a way to accomodate that condition in the woods.

Anyone try out the whisperlite universal? just like more options , and the superfly says multi fuel, how well do propane canisters run? Just checking different angles.

Damn. My wife says I'm crazy for tent camping down here when it's 30 to 40 and drizzling. I ain't shit compared to y'all. Maybe one day I'll get to experience it. Great info on here, thanks.

It's going to get to -3 Tuesday nite here, you have time to get here, i'll pick you up at the Airport.

I think it was called cyclops, a sleeping bag combined with a parka; had sleeves, chest zipper and open bottom with draw cord for this very thing. I used it as a coat during the day with the bottom open and arms in the sleeves, walk around and do things staying warm. At night, draw the cord at the bottom closed, pull arms in and instant sleeping bag.

You are a tuffer man than I using a bivvy bag, I hate em.

The half sleeping bag you use with a Duvet Jacket is called a "Pied d'elephant" I think ... (I first heard of these when I read the Chris Bonnington book about his alpine first-assents with Don Whillans)

My climbing days are done now.... but we used to go to Chamonix to climb in the summers and then I rarely used a sleeping bag when up on the Glacier... just clothes/Mat and Goretex Bivy baf (snodon Moldings)

The half sleeping bag you use with a Duvet Jacket is called a "Pied d'elephant" I think ... (I first heard of these when I read the Chris Bonnington book about his alpine first-assents with Don Whillans)

My climbing days are done now.... but we used to go to Chamonix to climb in the summers and then I rarely used a sleeping bag when up on the Glacier... just clothes/Mat and Goretex Bivy baf (snodon Moldings)

"Pied d'elephant" I like it and get it.
The half bag from waist down used with a parka is commonly referred to as an elephants foot, a two piece system.

Cyclops is a full length sleeping bag with arms, parka hood, cinch open/close bottom with chest zipper, a one piece system. A very good system.

I used my Andinista as a bivy sack with belay parka.

I had a one piece WT suit that the legs zipped together on the inseam that formed a bivy too, the idea came from the cyclops.

Always sleep in all your clothes, why carry them if you are not going to use them, adds R value to your system.

My climbing days are behind me too. I can still putt around but going hard and large is over.

Anyone try out the whisperlite universal? just like more options , and the superfly says multi fuel, how well do propane canisters run? Just checking different angles.

Did not know the superfly was multi fuel, check into this.

Whisperlite universal has a cartridge / canisters fuel now. For those who say canister stoves do not run in the cold do not have experience with them in the cold so they do not possess the skill to run one and puke bad info about them. I run my Superfly with IsoPro fuel to -40 and for some reason, it runs a hot flame. Quicker and more efficient than a liquid stove plus no O rings to shrink and leak and tear in the cold that required repaired at -40.

I need to work on this as well, I get so freaking dehydrated from those Mountain House meals. I'm not used to a lot of sodium and it really torques my system. I did make my own breakfast though, that's easy with oatmeal/berries/nuts. Excellent post and advice.
I'm far from an expert in the matter, but I just got a micro rocket and that thing puts out some heat! Had the International and got rid of it, less maintenance now.

I built my own meals at home, dehydrated soups and meals like Hamburger Helper type. Egg Beaters is super but it turns an odd color. Egg Beaters with Reindeer sauge. Oatmeal with bacon. Get creative. Dehydrate or buy dehydrated meats. I would cook up burger, moose or beef, pork, caribou, chicken, etc and then suck the life out of it. Store bought is better at being dehydrated but home taste better. I place one complete meal in a 1 qt freeze zip lock bag. When I say complete it is, mix, meat, seasoning everything but water. Place the complete meal bags in a larger food bag, either a large zip or turkey roast cooking bag that also can be used in for things in the back country.

Now in the backcountry, boil water and pour it in the zip lock, seal it up and let it sit. If you place the bag inside your cook pot with a little hot water left in, it will lose less heat and hydrate a little quicker. We / I would eat out of the bag unless I was guiding and my charge (client) did not want to then I would pour the food into his mug. The used zip locks become daily trash bags. If possible, I would burn the trash bag and stuff the ash in another bag with no food residue or bury it. No the plastic does not melt during cooking in boiling water.

Now for super food, buy a can of cinnamon rolls. Place a few in a plastic bag, place that bag inside your pot with a little boiling water, about an inch deep, keep the boil going and until you get practice, the amount of water so you may have to add a little at a time to keep the boil. Yep, cinnamon rolls in the backcountry. A can of biscuits will provide fresh bread, doughnuts and crust for pizzas cooked the same way. Its a heavy meal but my charges loved it when they woke up to hot cinnamon rolls or in camp after a hard day, decompress for pizza.

Another favorite is fried bagels. Just like it sounds, I would use squeeze butter in a pan, squeeze it on bagels, and then fry bagels in the pan. Drop some sugar, cinnamon, pack of restaurant jelly, choco chips, etc and gourmet in the backcountry.

I carried cans of Pringles too. The tube does not crush and the empty tube has other uses. Fairly light food for the calories.

For heavy trips, pepperoni, grated cheese, and such always adds flavor. I almost always take a bottle of squeeze butter, flavors everything and adds fat calories, only on super light pushes and then its everything cut down and superlight. Instant rice and potato flakes add mass and volume for no weight plus calories but its fast burn calorie.

That is a start, if I can think and anything else I will add it on but main point is, be creative and look and think. Store bought backcountry food is junk compared to what can be made from home.

Lastly, Logan Bread has just about the most calories per ounce of food weight there is. Taste good too.

I had two different types of food, guiding would be a heavier food so I could treat charges right. And then super light, pure super light calories, taste not so much of a thought.

good luck

Last edited:
I need to work on this as well, I get so freaking dehydrated from those Mountain House meals. I'm not used to a lot of sodium and it really torques my system. I did make my own breakfast though, that's easy with oatmeal/berries/nuts. Excellent post and advice.
I'm far from an expert in the matter, but I just got a micro rocket and that thing puts out some heat! Had the International and got rid of it, less maintenance now.

Try Backpackers Pantry over Mountain House for store bought freeze dried. My opinion is taste better using less sodium for taste with more different flavors and texture in the meals. Cost is a little more but well worth it in my opinion but like most end users, Mountain House is all they know.

Rockets are super stoves. If you want to build a hanging system for your stove, let me know.

To clarify, do not dehydrate egg beaters, sorry about that but they do change to an odd color of greenish blue when cooked in a double boiler in the backcountry. Basically what my system is; a double boiler with a pot of boiling water used to cook food that is placed inside a zip lock or cooking bag and placed in the pot of boiling water that cooks the food inside the bag = double boiler so to speak. Works superbly and with some creativity, cheap, light and great tasting food, 100x more taste that mountain house, that can be made in the backcountry. My system does use more fuel but the food has a strong advantage with taste and calories.

When I guided, all of my charges raved about fried bagels, homemade doughnuts and pizza in the backcountry of Alaska, not cabin camping meals but up high in a tent, and its so simple.

Indeed,the hanging system would be nice to learn.

I will try the backpackers line and work on the main meals in the bag, really like that idea.

Mark

Try Backpackers Pantry over Mountain House for store bought freeze dried. My opinion is taste better using less sodium for taste with more different flavors and texture in the meals. Cost is a little more but well worth it in my opinion but like most end users, Mountain House is all they know.

Rockets are super stoves. If you want to build a hanging system for your stove, let me know.

To clarify, do not dehydrate egg beaters, sorry about that but they do change to an odd color of greenish blue when cooked in a double boiler in the backcountry. Basically what my system is; a double boiler with a pot of boiling water used to cook food that is placed inside a zip lock or cooking bag and placed in the pot of boiling water that cooks the food inside the bag = double boiler so to speak. Works superbly and with some creativity, cheap, light and great tasting food, 100x more taste that mountain house, that can be made in the backcountry. My system does use more fuel but the food has a strong advantage with taste and calories.

When I guided, all of my charges raved about fried bagels, homemade doughnuts and pizza in the backcountry of Alaska, not cabin camping meals but up high in a tent, and its so simple.

Awesome thread. And having spent considerable time camping in alpine environments, I heartily agree with 45.308 that sleeping the right clothing will always surpass sleeping naked. Take your Carhardts or other stiff, restrictive layers and keep it flexible and insulating.

I often use the water bottle trick combined with a spoon of peanut butter--Heat up a bottle full of water or two if you can and put them in your sleeping bag with you when you go to sleep (careful that it's not too hot). Eat a spoon full of peanut butter and you'll (go to) sleep like a baby.

Another trick that can really help in emergency situations is to dig a fairly shallow trench that is as long as you are tall. Build a fire in it in the evening, filling out the entire trench and feeding it so that it eventually has hot coals. Once you're ready for bed, fill in the trench with soil until the coals are covered, then sleep on top. It will actually stay warm for a lot longer than you think. Of course you need to be careful.

Regarding stoves, anyone ever use one of these: BioLite CampStove | Order Today

A buddy has one and really likes it but I've never actually seen one in use.

Indeed,the hanging system would be nice to learn.

I will try the backpackers line and work on the main meals in the bag, really like that idea.

Mark

I was thinking building a hanging system for the SuperFly that is very easy. It can be done for the PocketRocket and Micro but requires destruction, removing the support arms of the stove.

You need two pots, one that will fit down inside the other larger pot. The larger pot is the hanging system the small pot is for cooking.

Remove the burner from the stove. Measure the diameter of the down tube of the burner. Drill a hole in the center of the larger pot just proud larger that the shaft of the burner. A series of lines across the bottom on the pot will find center. Drill a series a holes around the bottom of the pot for air supply between the center hole and the pots edge.

You can get gucci or wasilibilly with the hanging. Gucci is to get flexible twisted braided wire, 1/32 or so and swedges, wasibilly is use wire than can be bent like a coat hanger. Drill 3 holes near the top edge of the larger pot just proud of the diameter of the wire. Use math skills to measure and find center to center of the 3 holes. Run the wire and swedge them or twist up a coat hanger wire about 12-16" in length, alot depends on how big your pot is. Trick is to get the three wires the same length so the system hangs level.

With the PocketRocket stoves, the burner does not have support for the cooking pot. Stoves like the SuperFly, now thread the burner down through the center hole of the pot and screw on the the valve and down tube and its ready to roar. With the Pocket series, either find at a hardware, gas grill store or build a wire platform that is taller than the burner of the stove and the diameter of the pot. With real engineering a slotted hole system most likely could be cut into the pot to use the Pocket support arms. Use the wire pot support in the pot and its ready.

The larger pot that hangs forces all the heat from the burner up along the sides of the cooking pot to increase cooking times and to burn less fuel, a heat exchanger. Plus, when used outside of the tent a superb wind screen.

To use, a small carabiner is used to clip the wires to the apex of a tent or shelter. Now flick the Bic to light the stove hanging in the tent. The hanging system gets the stove up off the floor for more room and easier use. In winter and other times too, clients and I would lay in our bags and dip hot water out of the pot for coffee, soup, etc all while laying toasty warm in our sleeping bags. I had a small 1 cup size plastic cup for dipping from the pot into larger mugs and bowls. Using a cooking bag to cook inside the pot will allow dipping of food too. This will keep the pot clean too. P-cord hung from corner to corner of the tent for a clothes line, the hanging stove will dry damp kit faster. During a few brutal cold trips, we laid in the tent with the stove roaring like a sauna.

whew! I'll have to think and take some time on this one. Sounds like it will be useful.

whew! I'll have to think and take some time on this one. Sounds like it will be useful.

Personally and I should have stated, I would not go with a hanging system for the PocketRocket. I prefer them but use the SuperFly that is made for a hanging system.

System is very stable so its very hard to tip over the stove. Hitting it with shoulder or head will rock it and may spill a little but not the whole pot or burn up something inside the tent.

More efficient, more heat out and less fuel burned.

Lets the body relax and rebuild quicker if laying down while cooking Vs outside standing or sitting which sounds OK for a backpacker or hiker but the less calories you burn and the quicker you rebuild the body the more efficient the body works so you can enjoy the trip more.

I have cooked inside tents for 30 years or more and it works and is safe. I only had one accident and that was due to a white gas FireFly stove laying on the floor of the tent in a very bad blow, wow was it cold. Did not burn up the tent but did melt clothing. Since then, I went to a hanging system and never once thought different.

good luck and have fun

Indeed, thanks for the good info. Yes, resting as you mentioned is helpful, especially resting the mind.