• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra 6.5mm 130gr SMK #1729

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Formally dropped at SHOT...this is the bullet Prime has been loading in their new 130gr 6.5 Creedmoor load, right?

Comparing Sierra's banded G1s with the Berger Hybrid AR spec of .287, it appears these bullets fly identically at 1000 yards.

Anybody by chance know the OAL of the Sierra 130 from pulling a Prime load?

Formally dropped at SHOT...this is the bullet Prime has been loading in their new 130gr 6.5 Creedmoor load, right?

Comparing Sierra's banded G1s with the Berger Hybrid AR spec of .287, it appears these bullets fly identically at 1000 yards.

Posted all of this info in the 6.5x47L thread. I have a 1000pc case of them

130 smk

1A86AD41-7966-46C4-8716-8D97F910B89D.png

130 TMK
1746E644-E828-4876-8E53-06469364312A.png

Hopefully that bc is correct. Appears quite higher than Berger hybrid at .560

Interesting that the BC is so much better than the 130 TMK.

The 130 TMK has been around a while. I bought a bunch of them when they first came out. They are extremely accurate but a pig. Great for shorter distances but dont fly like 130 or 140 Hybrids past 600yds.

The new 130 SMK is a sleaker, longer, skinnier, pointed 130 so the higher BC makes perfect sense. Different bullet design. These have already been well proven in the Prime US made ammo for some time now. Just now being released in bullet form to us reloaders.

I've had a 1000rd box of them for a few months now but with the holidays, the flu and being slammed at work I didnt get a chance to test them till this past week. SD's of 2 and 3 across many charge weights from 37.3gr - 38.1gr Varget in 5x Lapua brass with CCI 450 out of my 26" 6.5x47L Kreiger.

Accuracy was not the right seating depth, as I loaded them at .01 off the lands. I have a good feeling after this OCW they like to jump like every other SMK. Got the OCW re-loaded back up at .02 off lands. Very consistent 4 shots in a hole and 1 shot below the group with every charge weight tells me it doesnt like that seating depth. Still 0.5" groups

Stay tuned but here are the numbers.

37.3gr - 2915 SD4
37.5gr - 2916 SD9
37.7gr - 2940 SD2
37.9gr - 2948 SD3
38.1gr - 2954 SD2

130 TMK on left / 130 SMK on right

I've got 500 back home and am eager to try them out. I'm hoping i can achieve those velocity numbers that would make it formidable in my 6.5x47L but given the bearing surface and FB i feel like i'll probably be at 2850 or so just like my 130gr Normas and 130gr hybrids. Should've never went with a 23" barrel when i had this rifle built.

Its just starting to get a little pressure. My load will be 37.7gr which is the same for 130 Hybrids...
How do they compare vs the hybrids for you? Does it look like their going to be at a better price point than the hybrids? I couldn't find any except on Sierra's website. Those numbers look good.

How do they compare vs the hybrids for you? Does it look like their going to be at a better price point than the hybrids? I couldn't find any except on Sierra's website. Those numbers look good.

Well since I only shot a quick 100yd OCW I dont have any more info to give you. They will certainly be cheaper than bergers... we know they perform, as I said prime has been using them in their 6.5cm ammo for a while.now...

Ill have more data soon

Well since I only shot a quick 100yd OCW I dont have any more info to give you. They will certainly be cheaper than bergers... we know they perform, as I said prime has been using them in their 6.5cm ammo for a while.now...

Ill have more data soon
Awesome thanks

The 130 TMK has been around a while. I bought a bunch of them when they first came out. They are extremely accurate but a pig. Great for shorter distances but dont fly like 130 or 140 Hybrids past 600yds.

The new 130 SMK is a sleaker, longer, skinnier, pointed 130 so the higher BC makes perfect sense. Different bullet design. These have already been well proven in the Prime US made ammo for some time now. Just now being released in bullet form to us reloaders.

I've had a 1000rd box of them for a few months now but with the holidays, the flu and being slammed at work I didnt get a chance to test them till this past week. SD's of 2 and 3 across many charge weights from 37.3gr - 38.1gr Varget in 5x Lapua brass with CCI 450 out of my 26" 6.5x47L Kreiger.

Accuracy was not the right seating depth, as I loaded them at .01 off the lands. I have a good feeling after this OCW they like to jump like every other SMK. Got the OCW re-loaded back up at .02 off lands. Very consistent 4 shots in a hole and 1 shot below the group with every charge weight tells me it doesnt like that seating depth. Still 0.5" groups

Stay tuned but here are the numbers.

37.3gr - 2915 SD4
37.5gr - 2916 SD9
37.7gr - 2940 SD2
37.9gr - 2948 SD3
38.1gr - 2954 SD2

130 TMK on left / 130 SMK on right

Padom, do you happen to know the length on the new SMK 130GR? Not really wanting to pull one of the new prime bullets apart.

thanks I saw that right after I posted the question.

anyone know when some G7 data will be out for this?

Sierra posted BC was dead on for me @ 900yds. Entered their BC, my velocity and rifle info into JBM and dialed what it said for 900. First round hit on full size steel was dead center. Shot 4 more and recorded a sub 0.5moa group.

Sierra posted BC was dead on for me @ 900yds. Entered their BC, my velocity and rifle info into JBM and dialed what it said for 900. First round hit on full size steel was dead center. Shot 4 more and recorded a sub 0.5moa group.

that posted BC is G1 and not G7 curve correct?

prime uses sierra?did not know that

Where can they be found for less than $.40 per bullet? That's what I'm paying for 130 Berger's.

And the 130 SMK have a higher BC... .560 vs .584.... So if you pay that for your Bergers why wouldnt you pay that for a higher BC bullet? Their BC is dead on too. Ive shot them from 100 to 1000 and first time out at 1000, I put the BC into JBM, my velocity, rifle info and made a first round hit with my 6.5x47L, dead center on 12"x20" steel. I followed up with 4 more shots and shot a sub half moa group first time out at 1000 dead center of the plate. I also was using Bergers for a while but use these now in my 6.5cm AR and 6.5x47L..

Powder Valley has them for $0.38pc, Opticsplanet has them for $0.36pc

Sorry if I missed it, are these particularly jump sensitive?

0.01 off lands they shot 0.5" groups @ 100yd. My seating depth test showed groups got tighter at 0.02 off lands shooting just under 0.5moa @ 1000. But either way, I would say no they are not. Worst they shot was 0.5moa before finding the optimal seating depth....

I’m interested in trying these out if a gas gun. I’m closer to .080” jump with the 130 hybrid. Worth a shot to try out.

Wow really??? 260rem? I can get all the way to lands and still.room in 6.5cm gasser
6.5 CM. Rifle doesn't like KAC mags, so I've been using PMAGs. Also this rifle shot lights out with factory Berger 130 ammo so I didn't bother with doing a ladder test, I just matched the jump of factory ammo. This was a custom chamber and I had it cut longer for factory ELDs originally.

6.5 CM. Rifle doesn't like KAC mags, so I've been using PMAGs. Also this rifle shot lights out with factory Berger 130 ammo so I didn't bother with doing a ladder test, I just matched the jump of factory ammo. This was a custom chamber and I had it cut longer for factory ELDs originally.

Did you try LaRue and ASC SS mags?? Both allow same as KAC

Anybody done any hunting with these? From what I have read the Berger AR hybrid does really well in the hunting world. If these also do well i wouldn't see any reason to pay more for the bergers?

Anybody done any hunting with these? From what I have read the Berger AR hybrid does really well in the hunting world. If these also do well i wouldn't see any reason to pay more for the bergers?

Since they come pointed from the factory and the tip is very closed, I’d want to try them on a few pigs or coyotes before using them on anything respectable like a deer.

John

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd bring this one back from the dead. A lot of useful information here. I'm wondering if anyone has worked up a load with H4350 or RL16? No load info for this bullet in 6.5CM on Sierra's website. I emailed them asking for a good (low) starting point and their answer was not very helpful. Just wondering what fellas are doing with this bullet using the above powders. Thanks!

So is the extra speed you get with the 130 worth it over the 147+ in a bolt gun or are those bullets usually for semis ?

I just picked up 1000 of the 130’s to try. Not a bad BC for a 130 (.584) and apparently super consistent measurements. Figured I’d give them a shot.

At longer ranges, 130s driven 100fps faster than 140s will give you about a half-mil less drop at 1000yd in exchange for a tenth more drift and maybe 5-8% less energy on target.

If that's an acceptable compromise is shooter dependent.

Reactions: Niles Coyote
This is data I got today (60* F) with the 130 SMK's in my Tikka Tac A1, 6.5 Creedmoor. There are a couple of areas that I'd like to explore more. With the H4350, I'd like to load up 5 shot groups for 41.8gr and 42.5gr. The 41.8gr node is a wider, but I'd be interested to see the ES and SD of 42.5.
As far as the RL16 load goes, I'd like to do 3 shot groups from 42.8gr to 43.4gr. If that 43gr charge is an outlier (my mistake in loading, etc.), that makes that a very wide node. A difference of 16fps across 0.6 grains. I'd also like to do a 5 shot group at 43.8gr and look at the ES and SD there.

What do you all think?

Oh, and just for reference...the 140gr Hornady American Gunner ammo averages about 2640 out of my rifle in 70*F. But SDs in the high teens and ESs in the 50s and 60s. They shoot well out to about 600 or so. After about 800 it's a total crap shoot.

I just want to keep this thread going because I haven't found much of anything as far as load data/results using this bullet in a 6.5 CM gun.
H4350.jpg
RL16.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone trued this up for a solid G7 BC? 130 Hybrids trued to .290-.295 in my rifles, which was a little higher than advertised. JBM's G1->G7 conversion says it's around .290 using Padom's info for the 130 smk. Seems like the 130 hybrid is just as good, and probably better for AR mag length ammo too. Maybe you can push SMK faster though?

Last edited:
Has anyone trued this up for a solid G7 BC? 130 Hybrids trued to .290-.295 in my rifles, which was a little higher than advertised. JBM's G1->G7 conversion says it's around .290 using Padom's info for the 130 smk. Seems like the 130 hybrid is just as good, and probably better for AR mag length ammo too. Maybe you can push SMK faster though?
Thread resurrection. Just now getting around to running these to distance. Albeit had my chamber throated so going to rework the load. But I'm running them at 2815 out of my 23" tube. .584G1 plugged in AB lite was perfect. Running JBM with .292 puts me at 3/10ths above what I was dialing. Makes me think .290ish might be a little conservative.

Thread resurrection. Just now getting around to running these to distance. Albeit had my chamber throated so going to rework the load. But I'm running them at 2815 out of my 23" tube. .584G1 plugged in AB lite was perfect. Running JBM with .292 puts me at 3/10ths above what I was dialing. Makes me think .290ish might be a little conservative.
Any update?

Any update?
I haven’t done any thorough testing since really. Residency has been taking up all my time but I’m about to have a house and reloading setup here so i can get back out a little more.

I’ve been running varget but am really wanting to try staball match

I haven’t done any thorough testing since really. Residency has been taking up all my time but I’m about to have a house and reloading setup here so i can get back out a little more.

I’ve been running varget but am really wanting to try staball match
I meant as far as G7 number that looks good.

I meant as far as G7 number that looks good.
Last i took it out with the same load here in Shreveport. I ran it to 1000 using the .584G1. If memory serves it did well. We were cleaning KYL racks at 800. But i haven’t fooled with changing much BC since my previous post.

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
Last i took it out with the same load here in Shreveport. I ran it to 1000 using the .584G1. If memory serves it did well. We were cleaning KYL racks at 800. But i haven’t fooled with changing much BC since my previous post.
Appreciate the quick reply. Thanks!

Reactions: 5RWill