• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua

Looking to find a load with highest velocity I can get from 19" barrel and 135 Berger Classic. Trying IMR4451 and VARGET first. Any other powders you would consider?

Looks like 2700 FPS is about tops for 19” barrel with the 135 in my rig. 37.7 grains of Varget. Testing for groups next.

That would be great. I'm hitting lands at 2.75 oal with the 135 Berger. Using CCi 450 primers. Would love any info you could share. Thank you

Accuracy is there. 5 round group at 100. 135 berger, .170 throat, seated at 2.70, about .045 off, 37.7 varget. 2700 fps 19" hawkhill 8 twist.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Guess I have not been paying attention. Is Varget starting to dry up? My 47 loves it should I be looking for an alternative.

I recently read that IMR 4166 Enduron Smokeless Powder is very similar to Varget, though i've not yet had a chance to try it. I know many have had good luck with RL 15 and H4350.

I think 4350 is on its scarce cycle too . Might have to try rl 15. Varget has been sooo good. Thanks for heads up

I picked up some VV550 when i couldn't find Varget, RL15 or 4166 but haven't yet had a chance to work up a load...I'm told VV550 is a popular choice in Europe for that caliber...we'll see how it pans out.

Reactions: Mxridr
That would be great. I'm hitting lands at 2.75 oal with the 135 Berger. Using CCi 450 primers. Would love any info you could share. Thank you

Been a bit but heres the results. Your current load when playing with the case volume to match your velocity (varget powder data has been accurate so thats the variable I played with) was about 69Kpsi so I set the ceiling at 67Kpsi (case max is 63ish Kpsi) so its POSSIBLE to get higher than this stuff below but I wouldnt advise it....and again....this is a GENERAL idea only...start low and work up if you want to try any of this.

6.5x47 135 Berger.png

Reactions: DIBBS
Glad its not showing higher than 69Kpsi. RL17 may be worth a look too but man the accuracy is there with varget. Now to find more of it.

Curious if anyone has tried Berger 144? Looking for potential f class load. Thanks

Has anyone seen these new sierra 130gr Matchkings? I can't find a review anywhere. Looking at sierra's published BC though it's looking good.

Has anyone seen these new sierra 130gr Matchkings? I can't find a review anywhere. Looking at sierra's published BC though it's looking good.

I've had 1000 of them for testing for a few months now. Havent got out to test them yet, been super busy with work. Hopefully this week or next

I've had 1000 of them for testing for a few months now. Havent got out to test them yet, been super busy with work. Hopefully this week or next

Damnit Padom i read that first sentence and was so excited lol. How long are they? I want to pick up 100, hell i wanna get 500 but if they don't shoot then i gotta sell them. That BC is extremely enticing though. Glad to see Sierra come out with some high BC projectiles. They need to redesign the TMK as well.

Damnit Padom i read that first sentence and was so excited lol. How long are they? I want to pick up 100, hell i wanna get 500 but if they don't shoot then i gotta sell them. That BC is extremely enticing though. Glad to see Sierra come out with some high BC projectiles. They need to redesign the TMK as well.

They shoot amazing. It's what prime has been loading on their new USA made 6.5cm ammo for a while now... they are well proven. Ill.be testing them in my 6.5cm Bartlein gasser and 26" 6.5x47L Kreiger/TL3

Last edited:
They shoot amazing. It's what prime has been loading on their new USA made 6.5cm ammo for a while now... they are well proven. Ill.be testing them in my 6.5cm Bartlein gasser and 6.5x47L

All i needed to hear about to order some thank you.

All i needed to hear about to order some thank you.

Here's some data for you.

As you can see in the 2 pics showing what the loaded round looks like touch lands, these 130smk are optimal for both my 6.5cm and 6.5x47L chambers. Touching the lands, the bullet boat tail/bearing surface junction is right at the case shoulder/neck junction. Ideal for max case capacity without bullet being down in the case eating up case capacity.

Thanks for the data Padom, so it's basically right there with the Norma, ideally more consistent i'd assume being sierra.

In all the testing Ive done with the Norma 130 GT in both 6.5cm and x47L....they didnt hold a candle to the Bergers....I got a few thousand cheap and they were never AS acurrate at distance as the Bergers or Scenars. They shot good, but not like the Bergers or Scenars or even the ELD's.

These new 130 SMK have a higher BC than the 130 GT, lower SD's across a wide node in my testing so far.

Reactions: 5RWill
@pardom "Norma 130 GT in both 6.5cm and x47L....they didnt hold a candle to the Bergers... " May I ask at what distances? And in your experiences, what are the average group sizes say GT vs Bergers? Not trying to start anything here, just want to learn from others experiences. Thanks.

Reactions: bobke
Had some let over 140 hybrids loaded with 37.5g Varget. Just had a new Hawk Hill barrel spun up and here is the last group for today. Barrel has 24 rounds thru it.

Attachments

• B35B6317-032D-403F-A683-079A7BF67D68.jpeg
    B35B6317-032D-403F-A683-079A7BF67D68.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 81
I've just began loading and shooting my 6.5x47. I have varget and rl16. Haven't shot the rl16 ladder yet but I went to 35.3gr of varget with the 144gr Berger lrht and only got to 2651fps. I only have 35rds down barrel and those were at number 8. I assume the load data from Berger and Hogden to be a low?

trying to use up some of the projectiles i purchased a while back.....120 Scenars.....got to find a good Varget load for my 1:8 twist, 26in barrel.

hopefully there will be more Varget available soon. friend gave me the remnants of his last container.

My 144 hybrid testing so far was only a few rounds at 37.3g of Varget. I am going to run it up a bit more and see here the speeds level out.
I just loaded another ladder from 35. To 36.1. Gonna slowly work up to pressure. I have some slightly flattened primers but nothing jumping out at me

trying to use up some of the projectiles i purchased a while back.....120 Scenars.....got to find a good Varget load for my 1:8 twist, 26in barrel.

hopefully there will be more Varget available soon. friend gave me the remnants of his last container.
We run 120 Amax over Varget in my son’s comp gun. Great combo

Glad its not showing higher than 69Kpsi. RL17 may be worth a look too but man the accuracy is there with varget. Now to find more of it.
Just tried rl-17 last weekend to replace varget. Results were ok in the morning, but by afternoon primers became an issue. Didn't blow any but definitely high pressure marks and primers backing out of case.just my experience

Reactions: Geno C.
The Peterson brass is really nice..... Im local to them and was able to get 500 6.5x47, 6mm CM, and 6x47. All seems to hold pressure better than the lapua. It is all really uniform as well. Great so far. Was running the 150 SMK in a 6.5x47 to try out. 37.5 varget @ 2760 with not even a flatten primer. Impressed as I thought its pretty heavy for a X47 but sub 1/2 moa at 500 and 1k !!

The Peterson brass is really nice..... Im local to them and was able to get 500 6.5x47, 6mm CM, and 6x47. All seems to hold pressure better than the lapua. It is all really uniform as well. Great so far. Was running the 150 SMK in a 6.5x47 to try out. 37.5 varget @ 2760 with not even a flatten primer. Impressed as I thought its pretty heavy for a X47 but sub 1/2 moa at 500 and 1k !!
Small or large primer?

Impressive speed for a 150 bullet. Must have longer free bore.

If I remember correctly it was a .177 freebore . It does shoot well with ne pressure signs. It is also colder here so well see in summer. But so far good speeds, almost identical dope from the 142 smk, and good accuracy. And that's out a 26" bart barrel. 8 twist to boot.

That's pretty impressive for sure. 150 is a heavy bullet for x47L IMHO. Loving the new 130 SMK. They are shooting sub 0.5 moa at 900yd and elevation is dead on with advertised BC.