• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sierra 77 grain Hpbt on Coyotes or something a little larger

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
I may find myself forced to use Sierra 77 grain hpbt or actual mk262 on an upcoming hunt. Anyone actually use the 77 on yotes or something a little larger, obviously shot placement counts, just don't want them to bore through.
Thanks Marty

I use them exclusively in my rock river for coyote and when meat hunting for whitetail. I've killed several doe and a spike buck with them as well as a friend of mines kid used it to kill his first deer. It was a behind the shoulder shot at 210yds. she went about 20yds. I have head shot and neck shot several deer at 80-100yds and all were drt. They are hell on yotes. I would not hesitate to use them if I were you.

Buddy of mine slings them out of his savage and AR. That's his go-to round for Alaskan Wolves.

They also work fantastic getting domeshots on collared pika, lol. POOF!!!!

amatuers argue bullet choice... just put it where it needs to be and you will be fine.

amatuers argue bullet choice... just put it where it needs to be and you will be fine.

VERY true. I run the cheapest stuff I can find and still get great effects. (cheap 220 gr roundnoses out of a 1903A3 will KILL ANYTHING!!!! lol)

But if you're like my buddy and want to shoot something like this in the head at 200 meters:

Collared pika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it can't hurt to get the expensive silly stuff. Not my personal taste, but I can appreciate my buddy's desire for a little more finesse when shooting what is basically a hamster for its pelt with a bullet that is 1% of the critter's mass.