• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sig 1911 tact ops

BOL556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has one out there and wanted their feed back on the 1911. Thinking about getting one and also was wondering if you can use any kind of mag in it or must it be the sig mags only. That is really my only concern as of now. I am sure it will shoot good; just curious if you have to use the sig mags or can I use something else ie, wilson mags.

Re: Sig 1911 tact ops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend staying away from Sig 1911's at any price. </div></div>
reasons?

When Sig first came out with their 1911s they had some issues no question but the newer stuff has all the problems ironed out. Their good to go. I like my Tac ops Clone very much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend staying away from Sig 1911's at any price. </div></div>
reasons?</div></div>

Sig has had abysmal quality control since Ron Cohen took over. They are loosing contracts, and loosing customers because of it.

Their 1911 uses a proprietary external extractor (which doesn't work as well as a properly tuned internal extractor), their external dimension are a PITA for holster fits, and the series 80 mechanism tends to give you a less desirable trigger out of the box (which can be fixed, but why bother?).

If you want a reliable 1911 for less than the price of a Wilson CQB or SA Professional, I would recommend purchasing a base model Colt or SA, and taking it to a highly competent 1911 smith to upgrade and tune some of the small parts, and give it a basic "reliability package".

To start I have not shot one, but the issues they had originally were well documented. I have held them and they feel very solid and I personally really like the looks and feel. I do know that the propriatary shape is an issue when looking for holsters. I say if you are digging it.. pick one up. But if you are open to other 1911's, there are almost too many out there with great track records to choose from.

Cheers
Hawk

I have had two kimbers, custom target 2 and TRL/RE or whatever the LAPD swat carries or used to carry havent. The first kimber i should have never got rid of but i liked my HK USPc better and the kimber just sat around. Now the TRL kimber was a different after i got sold it I found out they were having some problems with quality control hence why no matter The only thing bad about the SA is the availibility. I will have to see about the Colt's though. I have always liked the slim profile of the grip. Well off to the Colt site, thanks for the feedback.

Keep you eye out for a good used 1911 here in the forums. I've seen several Springfield TRPs in the past few weeks. Buy a good used factory 1911 that hasn't been bastardized post-factory by a home smith. Usually nobody modifies the higher end factory models as they are great out of the box (again.. usually). I'm always leary about buying custom guns.. as to who did what work.

JimD, have you actually had or shot one of the Sigs or is this just another I heard about it statement? I own 9 different 1911 platforms , 2 of which are Sigs( Blackwater and Tact Ops) I have never had any reliability issues with either of them. They both have one of the best factory triggers for out of the box systems. The Blackwater is damn near on pare with a couple of my full customs. I am not suggesting that they are near my Ed Brown or Cylinder and Slide units but then again I have less in both Sigs than just my E.B. Special Forces. If it come down to a Springfield or a newer Colt I would not hesitate on going the Sig route again and would recommend them also.Everybody is too quick to dog Sig , but I wonder how many actually own or have owned one?

I agree with downrange1x, I too have had quite a few 1911's Never had a problem with the sig 1911 I own. It shoots very well. I have not had a problem with the external extractor either. You cant go wrong imo with the sig..

My previous Sig 1911 stainless rail version was a nightmare. Almost 1k round now (a buddy now owns it) and still problems at every trip to the range. Mostly FTF issues (every few rounds). I tried several different mags, a new recoil spring & polished feed ramp. Too many issues than I cared to deal with.

Personally, that was completely unacceptable, no matter what the reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JimD, have you actually had or shot one of the Sigs or is this just another I heard about it statement? I own 9 different 1911 platforms , 2 of which are Sigs( Blackwater and Tact Ops) I have never had any reliability issues with either of them. They both have one of the best factory triggers for out of the box systems. The Blackwater is damn near on pare with a couple of my full customs. I am not suggesting that they are near my Ed Brown or Cylinder and Slide units but then again I have less in both Sigs than just my E.B. Special Forces. If it come down to a Springfield or a newer Colt I would not hesitate on going the Sig route again and would recommend them also.Everybody is too quick to dog Sig , but I wonder how many actually own or have owned one?</div></div>

Downrange,

I worked for 2 different Sig dealers, have shot a handful of them, wrote up plenty of repair tags for them, took a LAV 1911 class last week (where LAV shared some thoughts on the external extractor), and have been keeping an eye on how Sig is doing business these days.

http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Sig has been cutting their own throat for short term profit gain for years now. As I said, I would avoid them, at any price (and that extends beyond their 1911 line, these days).

"Its 2011 and we need to think like its 2011 not 1911." - Gabe Suarez
Please don't take this wrong...I am a 1911 fan, wish I had more of them! Just not my first choice as a fighting gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Its 2011 and we need to think like its 2011 not 1911." - Gabe Suarez
Please don't take this wrong...I am a 1911 fan, wish I had more of them! Just not my first choice as a fighting gun.
</div></div>

Fine if it's not your choice.

Seems to work just fine for the rest of us.

If I could enter a fight with only a handgun, there's no doubt that it'd be a 1911 for me. I've tried everything else there is, but there is just no comparison.

I read an article on the Sig 1911, seems pretty nice, pricey though.

I picked up a Sig 1911 tac ops as a christmas present to myself. I like sigs but was well aware of the documented issues. I do think they have worked out most of the original bugs. I have close to 700 rds of cheap russia ammo through mine with out a single issue. I figure if that cheap shit doesn't dick it up then its prob good to go. That being said the trigger has a little creep in it and isn't the most wonderful in the world. Finding a holster is a issue unto itself. The Crossbreed super tuck for railed 1911 will fit it if your looking for a CC holster and its is extremely comfortable imo. So to each their own if it floats your boat go for it.

sigs are good guns but the extractors are a weak point.

any gun that is shot enough will fail

proprietary parts=big fail when you can't get the parts/ a gunsmith who knows what they are doing to fix them

Why do you think Kimber switched over to the external extractor bandwagon when they were all the range about 6 years ago and then promptly switched back? I remember them replacing slides on many of my customers guns that wouldn't do right. that gets expensive fast...