• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig 220 Carry / HK 45 Compact

ghorsley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Georgia
Usually it is easy for me to make decisions on weapons.....intended use, price, etc.

However with the Sig220 carry and the HK45 compact I can't decide. I have tried every range within 50 miles of home and can't demo either one of them. I will put this weapon on my nightstand with a X400 laser/light mounted and maybe shoot it some at the range. It will not be a carry gun.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Re: Sig 220 Carry / HK 45 Compact

I've had both, though the 220 was the Elite model. Both were very accurate, but the 220 had multiple FTE and FTF, even after having the extractor replaced and ramp polished by Sig. The HK was flawless and I regret trading it. the HK double action sucked, but if you keep it cocked and locked and and shoot single action only it is a really sweet pistol. If it will be a nightstand gun, why not go for the full sized?

I guess my first question would be if it is not going to be a carry gun why buy compact as opposed to full sized. And next my comment would be for home defense I prefer a shotgun with #4s but that is just me. After all a handgun is used to fight your way to your long gun.

Mike

"Why not get a full size"? You know that is a very good question and one I should think more about.

"Why not get a shotgun"? Because it's going on my nightstand.

While there is nothing per se wrong with a compact pistol for home defense, I would reconsider your options to include the fullsize HK45 and P220 (in whichever of the 40+ @#$%*&^ variants Sig is offering for the P220 these days).
wink.gif
I certainly wouldn't rule out other pistols in the full-size category either unless you just happen to like Sig and HK.

The advantages of a compact are ease of carry due to reduced size, weight, overall dimensions. If you aren't carrying and/or concealing it...why bother with a compact (unless of course you have a really small nightstand)?
wink.gif
The fullsize pistol will give you a longer barrel, arguably better recoil control, sight radius, etc.

Whether you can actually do a live-fire demo of one or not...find a local shop or one within a reasonable drive of you that has them available and at least lay your hands on them side-by-side if possible. Only your hands/brain can tell you if the pistol "feels" right to you...everything else is just pure guesstimate/conjecture.

For home defense, not much better than a shotgun. Just my opinion. And if it is going on your nightstand instead of in it,
why not a shottie beside it? Just a thought.

I own/ carry an HK45, great gun, especially for those with big hands. If you buy, toss the sites in the trash and upgrade to real nite sites.

Tried the 220, didn't like ergonomics as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you aren't carrying and/or concealing it...why bother with a compact (unless of course you have a really small nightstand)?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I can't speak for the OP but some of us go with a compact due to having compact hands
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't speak for the OP but some of us go with a compact due to having compact hands
wink.gif
</div></div>

Damn girly-men (and girly-girls...don't want folks thinking that I discriminate)!!!
wink.gif
Only joking of course...naturally, fitment of a firearm must be to the individual and not to the masses. If a full-size is too much...a compact might be a better option to consider.

I train/teach men (and women) to shoot on a regular basis and the "freakishly small hands" issue and the accompanying debate about what home defense firearm they "need" or should buy always comes up at some point. While it makes some sense for folks who have smaller hands or otherwise can't get a good, solid grip on a full-size pistol to look at a compact or sub-compact firearm, it also better supports the argument that a shotgun is the preferable route to take. A lot of women I work with end up with 870 Youth models in 20ga which is more than adequate for any home defense situation with the proper ammo and some time at the range working with it and becoming comfortable with its operation, function, recoil, etc. That is, of course, both a small hands and small frame issue. Again, it all comes down to an issue of personal preference and getting something that will work best for you under your given set of circumstances.

I also have both of these guns. I carried my HK USP Compact 45 for 6 years and then switched to the Sig P220 for the last 3. The polymer compact HK definitely kicked a lot more. And even though its frame was smaller than the full size P220, its boxie square shape actually felt BIGGER compared to when I carried the slim full size single stacked P220. I also noticed my shooting was better with the steel framed Sig....less recoil. And most recently I switched to a Glock G21 Slim Frame. I absolutely love this Glock. Its shoots fantastic and the grip is to die for. I occasionally carry the P220, and rarely ever use my HK anymore.

I have the 220 carry, and have only shot an hk a few times. But I love my 220 carry. In 10k or so rounds the only time it has jammed ftf/e is when their was a problem with my reloading... feels great to shoot, well balanced and quick on target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have both of these guns. I carried my HK USP Compact 45 for 6 years and then switched to the Sig P220 for the last 3. </div></div>

For clarity: there is a significant difference between the older USP and the new HK45. Significant. The boxiness is gone, ergonomics are much improved.

Both are great guns, either will serve your purposes. Whatever you get, shoot it enough to be very proficient with it.

Well....Thanks for all the info. I found what I guess is a deal on a 220 Carry SRT and I already have a bunch of 220 mags so 220 it is.