• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sig 716 Accuracy

Jones2056

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
Missouri
I am considering buying a Sig Sauer 716 and was wondering if anyone had experience with the accuracy of this rifle. I found some reviews and they mention 1.5" groups at 100.

I would like to use this rifle as a deer gun (with shooting ranges of 500 yards and in with most of my shots being 300 yards and in) but not sure if this rifle would be a good platform for that. I like the semi auto capabilities.

What type of Accuracy have you gotten out of your Sig 716 Patrol. Have you come across any 308 Factory Ammo or reloads that shoot particularly well in this rifle? Any advice would be great. (I also have an FNAR that I could use for this purpose as well)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sig 716 Accuracy

I really like my 716, been shooting it for a couple of months.
From an earlier thread that I posted on,
"I was out shooting my 716 earlier in the week, shoots better than MOA out to 450 yards with my 168 gr AMAX hand loads. Best 5 shot group @ 450 measured 3 3/8".
Other than a trigger upgrade it's stock.
I didn't buy it for a precision rifle but when I realized how well it shot, just had to wring it out?
I put a Gieselle trigger in it and the hand loads consist of 168 AMAX, 42.0gr of H4895, CCI-34 primer in match prepped Lake City brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akjaeger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my 716, been shooting it for a couple of months.
From an earlier thread that I posted on,
"I was out shooting my 716 earlier in the week, shoots better than MOA out to 450 yards with my 168 gr AMAX hand loads. Best 5 shot group @ 450 measured 3 3/8".
Other than a trigger upgrade it's stock.
I didn't buy it for a precision rifle but when I realized how well it shot, just had to wring it out?
I put a Gieselle trigger in it and the hand loads consist of 168 AMAX, 42.0gr of H4895, CCI-34 primer in match prepped Lake City brass.</div></div>

Is the Gieselle trigger you installed a two stage? If so how do you like that setup for the 716? I have been thinking about getting their SSA trigger just don't know how well I will like the two stage.

Thanks for all the info and load info!

Well I finally got my Sig 716 in. Here is how I set mine up. I may switch optics to something with more magnification. I havent decided what role this gun will play. The upgrades are:

2 stage Geissele SSA Trigger, Magpul AFG (2nd Gen) Magpul MIAD Grip, and ergo rail covers, plus Vortex Viper PSD 1-4 x24 scope on an American Defense Mount.

Unfortunately I haven't got to shoot it yet as I had acl surgery and am on crutches till January. I look forward to trying AKjaeger's reload recipe.

I'll post groupings later.

AR10thn... The SSA two stage is amazing... Best upgrade to the sig 716 period... It's fantastic.

Ditto on the SSA, great trigger, huge improvement and easy to install

Re: Sig 716 Accuracy And Trigger Pull

I also have a 716 but did not like the heavy but crisp trigger pull. I put in the trigger spring from the JP reduced power spring sold by Brownells. It did exactly the same thing it did when I installed it in my MWS. The trigger pull is now 3.5 pounds and still nice and crisp..

Anyone else have any input? I am considering one of these... From what I see the accuracy it typically around 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards w/ the right load. I guess I am mainly curious about accuracy after the trigger upgrade...

Hmm? Accuracy seems to be about on par with the Scar heavy. For what it's worth, My brother has taken Elk with his Scar17. Don't know the range though.

Shot mine at 100 and 200 this past weekend with 175gr Black Hills Match. Right at 1" at 100 and 2" at 200 for 5rd groups.

Just a heads up...

I have a Sig 716 that has been picky as hell with ammo and was scratching and denting brass. So I bought some TulAmmo to try and break it in and that damn ammo jammed up so tight (FTE) I thought I'd never get those rounds out. Had to hamer the bolt shut, take it apart, and pry the bolt open from the under-side. I gave the same rounds to a range buddy and his HK and FN SCAR cycled the TulAmmo 308 150gr flawlessly. It fires Winchester 308 perfect, Winchester white box 7.62x51 flawlessly, but it'll once in a while FTF/FTE Federal Lake City M80 and absolutely won't cycle TulAmmo so far.

The Sig 716:

Sig_716_Scop_grip_pod-.jpg

Sig 716 denting cases normal? - SIG Talk

Second outing with the Sig 716 - SIG Talk

Sig 716 Failure To Feed/ Failure To Extract - SIG Talk

I love mine, other than a Hogan drop in trigger and PWS brake, its 100% stock, and with Hornady 168 Amax it does .75 inch groups, with Federal GMM it will do .5 inch but sometimes blows the primers out, so I just stick with the Amax. It has no problem going to 1,000 meters with my NF 3.5-15 scope and the 168s even though they go subsonic at 900 meters and has really made me reconsider the purpose of a bolt gun. If my AI rifle sells, im going to probably look for a 18-20 inch AR platform gun (if Sig ever releases the DMR 716, or maybe a LMT or LWRC) and toss an ATACR on there.

FWIW, ive really read a lot of mixed reviews on the Sig 716s with the earlier models as it seems they were having gas issues and cycling issues. I used to have two Sigs and ended up selling one so I could get a couple suppressors for my guns and finish my bolt gun, the newer one (4 months old) ran noticeably better and more accurate than my FDE which was about 1.5 years old. Ive yet to EVER have a FTF or cycling issue, or any issue at all for that matter besides it not liking hot ammo and blowing primers, but that seems to be more an issue with the semi auto platform as opposed to the gun itself. My SDN6 will be here shortly and I will give a report with that on there, but I Wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 2nd newer Sig 716 over any of the higher priced ones, and definitely over anything under the $2,000 mark.

I have been using a 716 for just about a year now, for hunting deer, hogs etc. I have mounted a trijicon 5.5 scope on it. It has preformed flawlessly with BH 168 grain a max. Everything has been DRT. I have taken 4 deer and 17 hogs this last year. I feel so confident with it that I bought another one, so that when friends come to hunt with me, I can be assured that they will have success.

This is the scope that I just got and mounted on my .223 Colt LE6920 M4. I am also going to shoot a drop chart out to 600 yds. then order a set of "stick" ons to make my turret "CUSTOM" These things really work.

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

BUSHNELL 4.5-18X40 BDC RETICLE TARGET AR-SCOPE @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:

Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 Riflescope w/ Drop Zone 223 Reticle FREE S&H AR945184. Bushnell Rifle Scopes.

You may be shooting a .308, but if you put a custom turret "STICK" on it It will work for you. This scope is much clearer & sharper than my Leupolds IMHO.

Attachments

• PC080005.jpg
    PC080005.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 80
  • PC080007.jpg
    PC080007.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 135
I have a Green 716p with the Geissele 3 gun trigger and a viper PST 4-16x50 sfp and the trigger transformed the gun . The factory trigger was too heavy. Mine has been flawless and feeds and fires all surplus brass cased ammo
( Port,Dag,Hirt,Aussy,Santa Barbra,and M80 ) no problem , and has from day one. It is sub MOA at 100 yards with Fed Gold Medal Match 168 and 175 grain, Southwest Amunition 168 grain Amax , and Copper Creek 168 gas gun ammo . My Hand loads with the 178 grain Amax are sub moa out to 200 yards. I have never used steel cased ammo in it and do not intend to . IMHO if you want to shoot steel cased ammo get an AK . To me it is like running 89 octane gas in a car designed for 91 octane gas. Remember " Oats that have been through the horse are always cheaper then oats that haven't" . Sig makes quality firearms ,if yours isn't functioning properly they will take care of it and make you happy .

Weird that you had that problem, I ran 200 rounds of TulAmmo the first weekend I had mine and it ran great, mine does mark the case up pretty good but no failures at all.

I just bought my Patrol Rifle last month. After barrel break in I was getting .5 -.75 MOA groups at 100 yds and .5 MOA at 300 yds with 168 Fed GMM and Black Hills 175 Match. I am very impressed with the rifle and would recommend it to anyone. Mine is a Gen 2.

I own a Sig-716 Patrol and it is Awesome. I installed a Geiselle SSA-E Match trigger into it and thats all it took to turn it into a tack Driver. I shoot Hornady 168 gr. AMAX and I am getting 1/2 groups at 100 yards consistently. I get 1.0" groups at 200 yards and 1.5" groups at 300 yards. Thats the furthest I have shot this Carbine out to as my back yard Private Range starts to slope down hill after 300 yards, otherwise I could get out to 600 yards. So its giving me better than 1/2 MOA from a 16" Carbine barrel. Very Impressive. And I have used it to take White Tail Deer and it does the job very well.

I just ordered a Sig-716 (3 Gun) yesterday. This is actually the Precision Marksman and it comes with a 18" Heavy Match barrel and a Geiselle Match trigger already installed. It has a longer hand guard and a different stock, but its an upgrade to the Patrol model. I can't wait to get it and test it out.

Sig Sauer 716 Precision Rifle @ 2013 SHOT Show - YouTube

I almost forgot to mention that I cleaned the barrel properly for the first 100 rounds and it helped with the Awesome accuracy. I cleaned after every 5 shots fired for the first 50 rounds. And then after every 10 rounds for the next 50 rounds. And now I clean it after every 20 rounds fired.

For the person that had issues with ammo. I have had my Sig 716 for about a year and I was having a lot of issues with FTF etc...I ended up sending it back to Sig and they said they polished the chamber. I'm not sure if they did anything else beyond that but now I can shoot anything through it without an issue. There customer service was great, I had to pay to ship it to them which I don't think cost too much but they took care of everything else and the turnaround was really quick.

Gen2 716p

I just bought my Patrol Rifle last month. After barrel break in I was getting .5 -.75 MOA groups at 100 yds and .5 MOA at 300 yds with 168 Fed GMM and Black Hills 175 Match. I am very impressed with the rifle and would recommend it to anyone. Mine is a Gen 2.

About what month and year do you think the Gen2 version was manufactured? Mine is a July 2013

Gen2?

When did the gen2's get manufactured? Was it mid 2012 or in 2013?

With the SIG 556R you could determine with the serial number which rifles were gen 2. That's one thing I don't like about SIG. Gen 1 buyers should not be beta testers.

With the SIG 556R you could determine with the serial number which rifles were gen 2. That's one thing I don't like about SIG. Gen 1 buyers should not be beta testers.

I called Sig and talked to service again. They said only the 516's had a Gen1 and Gen2. The 716's are all the same.

That's good to know. I like SIG products and have eyeballed a few 716s. The 556R I had was unbelievably accurate. It honestly changed my expectations of 7.62x39.

I just bout a SIG716 2 weeks ago to get away from the FAL magazines and FTE issues I was having with my RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator. With all the innovations Sig puts into their rifles it's no wonder I am crazy about this rifle. Never mind the fact that it is beautiful to look at, with 47.5 grains of IMR 4895 and a 110 grain VMAx bullet, I am getting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards on a Lead Sled. I didn't get these kinds of groups with factory ammo, but I didn't expect to in the first place. And, all this nonsense about having to run 1000 rounds through your rifle to get it "broke in" and so it won't FTE is a bunch of crap. It is either designed correctly or it's not. The FTE issue is practically done away with due to the extractor "lock" (for lack of a better descriptive word) in the breach and I have yet to have an FTE and this is a new rifle! Also, the little o-ring that is around other .308 brand AR's extractor springs (in the bolt) to keep the extractor from letting go early is NOT in the SIG716 because it is designed properly. It doesn’t allow the extractor to come loose during the firing process. What an awesomely designed weapon. p.s. If you are wondering what the name EF Hutton means on the stock, you’re too young to remember the phrase, ‘When EF Hutton speaks…., everyone listens’.... 

Forgot to mention, the stock trigger is horrible. I can't believe Sig put that trigger in the SIG716. I put a RRA two statge match trigger in mine to get the 1/2 inch groups...

I just ordered a Sig-716 (3 Gun) yesterday. This is actually the Precision Marksman and it comes with a 18" Heavy Match barrel and a Geiselle Match trigger already installed. It has a longer hand guard and a different stock, but its an upgrade to the Patrol model. I can't wait to get it and test it out.
Is this the same as the SIG716 3 Gun Heavy or the SIG 716 DMR? Which one of these have the Geiselle trigger or do both models?

Forgot to mention, the stock trigger is horrible. I can't believe Sig put that trigger in the SIG716. I put a RRA two statge match trigger in mine to get the 1/2 inch groups...

I agree. After all the work Sig put into the 716 Patrol, I can't believe they squeezed out such a shit trigger. I know the mile shooters don't like 16" barrels, but it sure seems to work. Only bad thing I found was the trigger. Had to hook a winch to it just to drop the hammer. I've had mine in FDE since Friday, and I NEEDED to itch my finger. So I pulled the Swaro off the Black Rain and headed to the range. Windy as hell today too. Always works out that way. So once I got it dialed in I pulled off a 1.25" 5 shot group @ 100 yards with Hornady match 150 grain. I ran some Federal 165's through it too. She fired every round like a champ! But she didn't want to put the 165's anywhere near the same place. The guys and/or gals that swapped in a Geissele really seam to like what it does for them. I'm sure if I had a calm day and didn't have to squeeze so hard I can drop that to 1/2" groups. My only thoughts are do I go SSA or SSA-E? Or maybe a single stage JP? I've also seen a number of guys with bad ass customs running Jewel triggers. I'd like a nice light squeezing trigger so it's not a thought while I'm exhaling and keeping pinned on target. Any thoughts on trigger selection would be welcome. I know I can toss in an SSA and it would most likely be good juju, but it's a good shooting 2k rifle. So I want a freaking awesome trigger.

I just returned from the range with my SIG 716.....

The factory iron sights were pretty close out of the box. They needed two clicks right and +5 for elevation on the front to zero the Portuguese NATO ball ammo I was using. I mounted my ACOG TA-11 and it was easy to get on the paper and dialed in. I was getting 2" groups with this ball ammo and nothing to rave about or bitch about either. My trigger is JUST OK. Its the classic AR trigger that everyone knows and hates. Its better then my friends 716 which is especially bad. It certainly does not help accuracy and could be improved immensely. Now that I am on the paper I want to try some better ammo. I fired around 100 rounds of the NATO ball ammo and a box of Herters steel cased ammo without any issues. Ejection is robust and tosses cases about 6~8 feet to the rear at 5 O'clock. Cases appear normal without any weird dents, scratches or damage.

My rifle was built on November 2012 and the fit and finish is excellent inside and out. SIG does put a lot of pig snot on the rifles and I would suggest a through clean and lube before firing.
SIG did make changes to the latest manufactured 716's like duel ejectors in the bolt face, different gas block and detent, reported heavier / different buffer, etc.

I called Sig and talked to service again. They said only the 516's had a Gen1 and Gen2. The 716's are all the same.

Zombie thread, I know.

There was a revision to the 716P, probably came after your call, sort of a Gen 1.5.

I had a 716P bought new in 2012 serial 22C003xxx that was nothing but trouble running suppressed with an AAC 762SDN6. Overgassed would not reliable cycle M80 ammo, and the BCG was slamming into the lower causing damage.

It was sent back to Sig 3 times. The first marginally better. the second no difference, the third time, new gun.

They finally replaced it with a "newer" model 716P ser#22G001xxx. Different bolt design, dual ejectors, gas block, and a few other things, mostly cosmetic - handguard, stock. Also a less accurate barrel. The original was sub MOA, the replacement more like 1.5" at best.

<SNIP>

SIG did make changes to the latest manufactured 716's like duel ejectors in the bolt face, different gas block and detent, reported heavier / different buffer, etc.

Those first run of 716P had trouble running suppressed...