• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo 2400 ABS vs Bushnell Elite ConX w/ Kestrel combo

tatersf1126

Rakk187
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
West Lafayette, IN
I'm looking at these two options at the moment. Which do you all prefer?

The only downside to the Sig Kilo to me is that it doesn't take wind into account, unless you utilize the wind meter with an iphone. I really don't want to have to rely on my iphone for anything in the field. Have any of you used both, and if so, which do you prefer? I read on here that one person set the wind at 10 mph and then grabbed a small handheld wind meter to make wind adjustments. Makes sense, but kind of defeats the purpose of not going with the ConX then.

Appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

Shane T.

I found the Sig to range better than the ConX. The ConX is a good start and the ABconnection is pretty cool. Bluetooth Low Energy can be fiddly, but it works most of the time. If you want it to work all the time and fast, get the Sig and buy a less expensive Kestrel, the use the mil wind (MOH gum) method for windage. FWIW, I now run a TerrapinX with the Kestrel I got with the ConX combo, that I upgraded to Elite firmware.

I have found the Sig to be the superior range finder and prefer the single piece of equipment. The time the Conx might make more sense is if it is a just for now purchase. Meaning later upgrade the Kestrel and get a better range finder.

Reactions: christopher.dow
I've been running the combo for a while (with the Elite FW upgrade), and I have been quite happy with it. The LRF is showing its age, and max distance on steel is ~1k in most conditions (further on big/reflective), but the Kestrel integration works really well. The price you can get the combo from GAP for makes it a real no brainer to me, though.

I have used both. It depends on your application. For quick and dirty solutions @ reasonable hunting ranges it is hard to beat the 2400ABS. I have killed a ton of animals with it.

The RF Combo / Kestrel can be more precise but you give up speed, and efficiency.

I like the new Leica.coms, the 2400ABS, original Terrapin, Shooter (simple I know but I like it) -Trasol and others.

They all have their issues and the industry are looking at ways to converge our needs and desires into a single unit @ a price point that works for them and the end user as well.

I recall attending a tech conference involving the issue of “convergence technology” over 20 years ago with a bunch of .govs and companies like NEC, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Intel etc. at that time we were carrying radios, flip phones, pagers, mice running our computers and huge SAT phones.

We would Have been amazed back then with what we hold in our hands today and next five years will more than double the progress made in the last twenty.

Buy what best fits your needs today and keep stuffing $$ into a sock for your next RF.

sorry to be answering without having used both, but i can at least vouch for the sig being very good for me, both a rangefinder, and for dope.
the wind meter worked on my android, but of course i am aware of the limitations of knowing what the wind is like where i am standing so...it helps when you are learning to read wind, but it won't replace experience.
i do use the phone app to log the environmental variables and results in a databook. at least until i have enough real dope to not need anything but dtt.

Reactions: Howland
And yet another input from someone very pleased with the Sig but no experience with the Bushnell/Kestrel combo.

The anemometer supplied with the 2400ABS does not work with my Android phone and Sig app, nor does it work when I download the app of the anemometer manufacturer, a workaround suggested in the 2400ABS manual. I'm pretty sure it's either the headphone jack or just software issues.

It would be great to have if for no other reason than to observe what a known wind is doing to the leaves and grass around me so I can estimate wind speed downrange.

I'm having to learn to read the wind.

A plinker reads trajectory tables, a master studies the wind.

Haven't tried the 2400 ABS, but have used the 2400 BDX with Kestrel and the ConX with Kestrel. 2400 BDX are less expensive than ABS and do connect to the Kestrel, while the ABS do not. Sigs send range and angle data to the Kestrel where the calculation is done and then the elevation and wind holds show up in the sig's eyepiece, no need to look at the Kestrel, very fast, any you get the full suite of Kestrel environmental in the calculation. At my range the Cox never was able to range past about 750 yds, the Sigs make 2000 yds easy, that is why I switched. ConX is gen 1 LRF with bt, so they get beat by most anything out today.