• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

exedotbat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Montville, NJ
I'm looking to pick up a new pistol and for the longest time have been wanting a Sig 229 in 9mm. However now the M&P Vtac .40 has my attention, and I'm starting to lean in that direction. Should I stick with my original intention or try out the M&P? This is not for carry, just for range use.

Re: Sig or M&P

Just a heads up. The Apex trigger upgrade doesn't work with the S&W M&P Vtac. Also, I had a Sig SAS .40 and couldn't stand the DAK, so don't get one with the DAK.

I have a full size M&P .40 with the Apex Comp AEK, Apex RAM and a Storm Lake extended bbl with ports. With the upgrades done to it I'm in to it about $800. However, it shoots awesome, very accurate and quick double taps.

BTW, if you decide to go with the M&P and do the Apex upgrades I would get the DCAEK if you only plan on using it at the range. The DCAEK has about a 5lb trigger and the Comp AEK is around 2.8lb.

I dont care for Sigs. Too heavy, bulky and expensive.

I do like the M&Ps. I have two Pros in 9x19 and a M&P22.

I will have to research the apex trigger. I was also thinking of the standard M&P, I just like the dual vtac sights. Also if I went with the Sig it would be the standard da/sa with sig nite sights.

You need to find a range that rents them, try them both and pick the one you like better.

You need to handle and at least dry fire both. I have shot both, 226 in 40 and m&p40 with apex sear. I have to say the m&p with the apex sear is pretty amazing. The sig shoots, im not crazy about the trigger or Da/Sa but it works i just dont find it enjoyable to shoot. I bought an m&p 9 yesterday and put an apex sear in it, I would like the apex trigger in it later. The triggers are similar but after a 40 dollar apex part the m&p is already better than any stock polymer pistol.

I have shot the 228 and 226, but I have only handled the m&p. I like the way the Sig shoots, and definitely like the way the m&p feels in my hand but I have yet to shoot one. Trying to find a place to rent one in NJ might be a task.

I've a standard full size M&P 40 with DCAEK and RAM...and Trijicon tritium sights.

It's so awesome I'd buy/upgrade another......

I'd skip the DA/SA guns like Sig and HK. The new striker fired pistols are the way to go unless you want a 1911.

Another vote for the S&W M&P.

The S&W M&P Pro series is the way to go, you get a factory tuned trigger and either a long barrel with fiber optic sight or the standard barrel with tritiums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DernHumpus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd skip the DA/SA guns like Sig and HK. The new striker fired pistols are the way to go unless you want a 1911.</div></div> Really why? Obviously you have some facts as to why you are saying this right?

Sig gets my vote. I have shot several of each and prefer the Sigs. I would suggest trying to find a way to shoot both before deciding. You do not have to change components in the Sig to make the trigger good.

Sig has my vote. I don't mind a heavy pistol. Recoil is felt a lot less. Im now shooting a P220ST 45ACP. Just an awesome gun to shoot.

Sig all the way. With the P229 - you get the "shootability", feel + balance of the legendary P228, but a tad bit heavier/more robust slide... I know you indicated that this would be for range use, but this allows one to run +P, +P+ without much more felt recoil over the P228 and thus makes it a great defensive HG (for a 9mm) IMHO.

Check out the P229 SAS Gen 2 (melted down slide, SRT trigger and no rail). One of my all-time fav Sigs in 9mm.

Obviously it comes down to shooter preference, so as said above, shoot both if you possibly can.

That being said, I am not the biggest DA/SA fan in ANYTHING. There are ways to train and overcome that first heavy pull, but for me even after doing hundreds of rounds that first draw from holster and heavy pull felt unnatural and awkward. Even though I loved my Beretta 92, I got rid of it just because of that first crappy pull. Why make a first round hit harder if there is better technology out there? (i.e. an M&P) Even without the APEX kit it beats a first double pull by a lot and guess what, the trigger is the same on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots!

Sig guys are just like anyone else, they have their reasons for liking them. I never did, but again, in the end it's what YOU shoot best with and have learned on.

M&P here. I have a Pro, M&P45 and a Shield.
I have owned a couple of Sigs and never got into the weight or the DA trigger.
It's funny, my favorite of the Sig family is the one everyone else hates ......... the P250.

I have a sig 220carry and have shot the 226 blackwater. That blackwater was one hell of a pistol, god. I like my 220, it fits what I use it for, ccw. Their is not thrills about it, but it just stinking shoots, and for a barrel that is 3.9", it is deadly scary accurate. I got the da/sa but wish I had a sao, with a beavertail grip. Sigs arent for everyone, like mine and the others I have shot. YMMV

I got to compare my m&p9 to my friends new 226 9mm yesterday.

Both are great guns, the sig has grown on me, but both have their pros and cons.

The sig shoots good in single action. the first pull is horrible though. I wouldnt consider any da/sa gun for carry, maybe house defense where I had the time to cock the hammer first. The sig has a high bore axis, when I punch out I find my self looking at the back of the hammer and have to adjust to find the sights, the sig sits very high in the hand. If it wasnt for the bore axis and first DA pull Id want one. The m&p on the other hand has one of the lowest bore axis on the market, and with a few apex parts you can get the trigger as fine as the SA sig pull. That and the fact that the m&p costs roughly half of the sig is a no brainer for me.

I love my M&P never shot a SIG, but for me my M&P is as comfortable if not more comfortable than some 1911s i've held. The high tang is really to my liking as well. Glock for instance has a pretty low bore axis some would argue the lowest, but with little tang i find it uncomfortable now.

Apex trigger helps the M&P greatly, but gotta stick with a Sig. Have both, and my Sig gets fingered more than the M&P. Although my XD's get the most action

Id say Sig for sure. Fine firearms and solid. I like heavy guns that way if their empty you can still beat em with it!
Travis

I'll throw my hat in for the M&P. I started with a G19, moved to a P226 Navy, and now own a FS M&P in 9mm. Even out of the box I liked the M&P more, I truly disliked the DA/SA trigger on the Sig even though it was smoother. After getting the Apex FSS into it, it's a dream to shoot.

Go for the best feeling and shooting in YOUR hand, but I love the M&P pro 9mm I have. I am ordering a M&P Shield 9mm now also for CCW.

having owned both. it's a tough decision.

I like that the MP is lefty friendly (me)

sig is a well built weapon.

for field work I would prefer M&P. over long periods of time my SIG's finish started coming off slowly (especially around grip area) with rain, sweaty palms etc i had to really take care of it, or cerakote it.

with my M&P I beat the hell out of it, and still no rust on the slide or internals, frame is good to go as well. it has seen heavy rain, alot of use and in about 2,000 rounds through it, not a single jam.

I would say go for M&P. better overall pistol.

Get the M&P if you can find one! Currently they are outselling any other polymer pistol on the market, and are in high demand. If you an find one ... buy it. Plus, they are backed by Smith and Wesson's rock solid Lifetime Warranty.

I can almost bet that the M&P will feel better in your hand than the Sig.

friends don't let friends shoot .40..

if it is just for the ange 9mm is cheaper and easier to shoot.

Yeah ... I didn't see the .40 S&W reference.

Don't buy a .40 s&W. For the same felt recoil in factory ammo as the .45 ACP ... you'd be better off with a .45.

If you want a 9 mm ... buy a S&W M&P. If you want a .45 then you have opened Pandora's Box. You'll never be satisfied with just having one brand over the other.
laugh.gif
The 45 ACP is a very fun cartridge to shoot, and a large variety of brands are chambered in it. 9mm will leave you wanting more at the end of the day. Go 45 ACP.

With the new Apex Forward Set Sear (FSS) you can take an M&P 45 with the external thumb safety and have a polymer framed 1911.

For just a range gunthough I'd go with the M&P 9mm. Much cheaper to shoot and fun.

What ever you do don't get a M&P with the external safety. If you do you will not be able to add the Apex RAM. The Apex RAM gives more of a reset, so you can feel the rest better and follow up with quicker shots.

I have a M&P 9mm with the external safety and the reset is not as good as my M&P 40 without the external safety and the RAM installed, both guns have the Apex FSS.

+1 for M&P. I own both the M&P45 and the M&P9c. I have no issues with either. I have only shot a Sig once, and to be fair, it was a range rental. Didn't care too much for it, but each to their own.

m&p gets my vote, i have two, both are pro models, a 4.25 barrel & a 5.25 barrel. the pro trigger is nice. the pro's are HARD to find. now i have a springfield xd 9 that i need to sell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c-3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> now i have a springfield xd 9 that i need to sell </div></div>

Come to think of it I have a M&P 9 full size with the APEX FSS and a storm lake extended bbl with ports that I could let go. BTW it has the external safety.

I'm waiting for my P226R Elite (9mm) to come in. I've shot a few with the short reset trigger and it feels great, although it doesn't do much to help the DA trigger pull. The M&P is appealing but I have yet to shoot one. I'll probably pick one up eventually as it should have better ergos than my Glock.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but they are very different pistols, not to mention you are looking at two different calibers. I'd just go with the one that ergonomically fits you the best if price is not an issue (ammo included).

I have both and would tell you not to buy the VTAC, just buy a regular M&P and get the APEX hard sear and ultimate striker block. You'll have a nice ~4 lb trigger in a light weight, high capacity platform. It will still be cheaper than the Sig and you can use the difference saved to buy ammo and practice.

After a fairly long wait to get my permits, I just ordered the M&P in 9mm. Im looking forward to taking it to the range as soon as it comes in. Thanks for the replies

First i would say shoot them both. Choose your favorite. I have worked in contracting and carried a 229 in .357sig and as active duty USCG have carried a 229 in .40 personally I have shot several thousand rounds through the 229 platform with DAK trigger. But i will say that i prefer the 229 over the m&p because the DAK works great. The m&p has no felt trigger reset. I have shot several thousand rounds through both weapon systems I would go sig. Either way you will like the 229 but if you get an m&p you wont be dissapoiinted.

Sig makes a fine handgun, but the DA/SA is a pain in the ass to me. I would take the M&P.

love my 229, almost bought a vtac a few months ago but the cerakote was coming off just from racking the slide

owned both.

if someone in a platter handed me a full size MP9 and a Sig P226 for duty use, I think I would pick the MP9...

I will tell you why.

I have seen one sig carried as a duty gun that had slight surface rust on the grip area. that's a nogo for me. I will take the polymer slide and the melonite slide compared to all nitron finish.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig makes a fine handgun, but the DA/SA is a pain in the ass to me. I would take the M&P. </div></div>

Personally i think the DA/SA makes you a better shooter. For my applications as a civilian, I prefer a Sig in most cases since it has a hammer and is a bit safer to carry. But the M&P is a great gun, I have around 10k through my 40 with zero issues.

I have always been a fan of Sigs, a 226 was my first gun. But I do think that Sig fell a bit behind with modern pistols. I have not tried an E2 model. But the one drawback to Sigs is they are almost all bricks. Utterly reliable, sweet shooters, but thick and heavy bricks. You cannot go wrong with either one, but I continue to give the edge to Sigs. But they are really apples and oranges (external hammer versus striker). I would give a Gen 4 Glock or a PPQ/P99AS an edge over an M&P while the Sig is still the class of the traditional DA/SA pistol.