• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I want a SIG preferably 9mm and maybe the 220 in .45 down the road. Any other SIG models better in 9mm? I've never shot a SIG but have always liked them! Just looking for some reviews :)

Alan

Last edited:
I have a p226 in 9mm. one of the best out there IMO. You can't go wrong with a sig....I own a few. Personaly I'm more of a fan of .40 cal's. My everyday carry is a P229 in .40

If you're looking at a Sig in .45 then you'd be better off going with the new P227 as it has a higher capacity, double stacking mags and is thinner.

Good luck.

I have a custom shop P229 in 9mm and love it. A friend of mine has the P226 navy which i have shot and was really impressed the only thing i would consider is the application of the pistol the 226 is rather large.

Sig 229 is a nice compromise between size and concealability. Consider looking for a package deal like the old Blackwater or tactical packages that come with extra capacity magazines and special sights etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I recently acquired the MK25. It is rather large but the phosphate coating was what I was really interested in being the gun will be taken out on the ocean in my boat. Haven't had the pleasure to get to the range to shoot it though. I also have the Sig 1911R-45 with the Nitron finish and polished Rosewood grips. a real beauty and a real tack driver too. Can't go wrong with a Sig. IMHO

Have the 226 in .40 S&W and it's a joy to shoot, could shoot it all day every day if I ever hit the LOTO.

Better have big hands. Make sure it fits. If it doesn't, don't get it as it doesn't matter how good the pistol is as you will never shoot it well.

I am a SIG pistol guy and love mine. I have the P226 in .40 and I carry my P239 9mm daily. I also have the SP2022 .40 in the night stand for the wife.

I'm picking up a P290 9mm and P229 9mm SAS in the next 2 months.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Another thing to add. All my SIG have been sent back to the SIG Custom Shop for Action Enhancement Package, Short Reset Trigger, Feed Ramp polish and Barrel Target Crown. I love the trigger and the guns are extremely accurate.

I just got back last night from taking a weekend long SI Terrorist Interdiction/Active Shooter training class and ran my P239 all weekend. Was hitting man sized steel out to 75yds with this little beauty.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thought occurred to me today about the MK25 and the Navy SEALS who drag it along with them underwater. What ammo would they shoot that would be reliable after submersion.

Reason I ask is I primarily acquired this beauty since I spend a lot of time in offshore waters and God forbid may have an incident where I find myself in the ocean with it and would need to rely on it to use it as a distress signaling device.

TIA

I have the 226 tacops and love it. Came with 4 20 round mags, tritium night sights, jet funnel grip and long beaver tail for about 50 bucks more than the mk25. love it you can’t go wrong with either one. Oh and it comes with the custom trigger reset already.

Thought occurred to me today about the MK25 and the Navy SEALS who drag it along with them underwater. What ammo would they shoot that would be reliable after submersion.

Reason I ask is I primarily acquired this beauty since I spend a lot of time in offshore waters and God forbid may have an incident where I find myself in the ocean with it and would need to rely on it to use it as a distress signaling device.

TIA

Your food vacuum sealing machine will be your friend. All the guys I know have a pistol and ammo in their boats / cabins off-road vehicles that is hermetically sealed. Don't pull a full vacuum on the ammo, you don't want to pull any air out of the cartridges, just seal them up to prevent moisture intrusion.

There is some waterproof ammo, with a shellac like coating on the outside. I forget the brand, but it is a major manufacturer. It is rated for at least 30' for two hours, from what I remember.

The P226 E2/Ergo grips are really a medium. I do not have XL hands, and I found the ergo grips to be too small. I replaced them with the Hogue rubber grips. These give great control, and are probably sized for large hands.

For distress signaling, a parachute flare would be much better. However having a firearm or two for security would always be wise.

For action/trigger work I suspect that Gray Guns would be better than Sig. The Sig SRT kit makes the trigger slightly mushy, Gray Guns has their own short reset system that is better.

Last edited:
The P239 is also not bad. Feels a little better in my hands since it's a single stack. But it holds less rounds.

Clear fingernail polish around the primer will make the ammo fairly water resistant. Water should not be able to get around the bullet.

I can second the services of Grey Guns. Bruce did the action/trigger on my 226 Blackwater, and it is the best DA/SA pistol I have shot let alone owned. My German 239 is heading that way soon, as well. J

We qualified on the 226 (we called it the M-11) over the summer, gotta say it was pretty slick. Once I got used to the feel of it versus my CZ I was able to get pretty quick with it. I have also shot the old man's 229 duty gun in .40, although that was a while back. They are both pretty solid. I noticed the hammer strike seemed a little click-clackity, but that was compared to the smack of the all-steel CZ. Never had a FTF or FTE out of ~300 rounds I've put through the 226. Take down of the 226 for cleaning was pretty easy- simply lock the slide back, flip the switch, and carefully bring the slide forward for basic cleaning purposes. Overall nice pistol.

I'm buying one of these eventually but wish they had some different holsters available. Seems not many manufacturers make then for the Mk25 with the different spec rail on it.

What FN in MT said I have the X-5 SAO, it is a hammer....stainless......such a delight to shoot, I have fired the mk25, they are a combat handgun, designed to be light aluminium frame....the extra weight in the x-5 is significant, and it dampens the recoil for faster follow up shots....

Contact Sig directly. They make a paddle holster with or without laser site about a $50 difference. The one I purchased from Sig (without site) was around $30 and good quality however it is not a retention holster.

The P226 is an absolute work horse. Extremely durable and reliable. My go to sidearm when hunting and pushing through West Texas brush. I am not really "kind" to my 226 but then again it has never "complained"!

I bought a MK25 a few weeks ago. After shooting Glocks for so long (sold 2 just to pay the $850 for the Sig) the long trigger reset gave me some problems. I was able to get the SRT trigger online for $50 and had a Sig armorer friend instal it. I then changed out the grips to the hogue and changed out the grip screws to hex head. This thing shoots! I also have the P227. They are both large so make sure to handle one first. I'm very impressed with Sig. If you really want to customize it I would recommend Grey Guns. Another problem was the holster as the MK25 has a spec picatinny rail. Some holsters for the P226R fit and some don't. You could always heat up some kydex holster to fit. I was able to get two from JM Kydex and Second Ammendment Holsters. Both of the owners have MK25's and will use their own weapons to produce a great kydex holster.

I want a SIG preferably 9mm and maybe the 220 in .45 down the road. Any other SIG models better in 9mm? I've never shot a SIG but have always liked them! Just looking for some reviews :)

Alan

I have a p226 enhanced elite, and I love it! Admittedly its the only handgun I own, but i've shot a decent amount of other pistols. This pistol shoots like a dream, and you can tell its well made. I've shot a few thousand rounds through it, and the only issues I've ever had were some stove pipes/fte's on the last round due to me riding the slide release with my thumb (I'm getting better at not doing it, but I don't get as much practice as I would like with any of my firearms).

I love the feel of this pistol. The grips on the enhanced elite model are slimmer than other p226 models, and fits my small hands well. The pistol has a good quality finish, it still looks brand new with exception to the wear on the exterior of the barrel chamber (I'm sure that's not the technical name, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm talking about). I really like the night sights, some of my favorite sights on any of the pistols i've used. The factory trigger is smooth with very little creep, and a fast reset with Sig's SRT trigger. It is a very heavy trigger pull in DA though, I'm still not used to it, but I hardly shoot it in DA.

There are serrations on the front and rear of the slide which is nice if you are looking for that feature. There is a beaver tail (much like a 1911) which I personally like, but I understand its a feature that you either love or hate. There is also a rail on this p226 model. I currently have a surefire x300 attached to the pistol, for things that go "bump in the night". The flashlight is extra snug on the rail, to be honest I had a hell of a hard time even getting it mounted to the pistol. I'm not sure if that's due to sig's machining of the rail or from surefire's manufacturing, or maybe a combination of both.

I'm fairly accurate with this pistol (I use that term loosely as I'm not a good pistol shot), and shoot this pistol more accurately than a lot of other pistols that I've shot. The only other pistols that I shot as good as this one are good quality 1911's, such as my friends STI Trojan.

Hopefully this is of some help, good luck with your pistol shopping!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

sig p226 is a great choice, I have one in .40 with .357 sig conversion also. It has the short reset trigger swapped in (Navy model should have it also?)... it is beast mode, and an absolute hammer. LOVE my p226.

I also like the p229, it's a compact model and newer gen p229 can use the bigger p226 mags as well.

the p220 is very similar, but lighter being poly frame. I prefer the all-metal p226 over the polymer... mine is the german blacked-out stainless frame, but I believe the US frames are available in aluminum as well?