• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 full write up and myths clarified.

prause13

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2013
This is my first write up on this site so please excuse me for possibly not being up to date on protocol.
ehetype6.jpg

This write up is for the Sig Sauer SSG 3000 with the NEW stock that is $1500 MSRP. If there are any questions after you have READ EVERYTHING, please feel free to ask.

SIG SAUER SSG 3000 23.5" barrel, .308 caliber, with Sig Sauer stock made in USA.

First, let me start by saying that I am a firearms instructor at Alpine shooting range in fort worth, Texas with 10 years in the military. While I may not know everything, please know what it is you're talking about yourself before questioning me.

This rifle had had a lot of confusion in the past due to Sig Sauer not fully updating their information on their website and manual. So here are the facts:

Stock: U.S. made stock by Sig Sauer
Adjustable check comb that is VERY sturdy
QD points for sling attachment
Rail slots at 3 and 9 o'clock for picatinny rail

Barrel:
semi-heavy contour barrel
Length: 23.5"
Taper: 1" - .75"
Twist: 1:11 right hand twist
Muzzle brake: A2 style flash hider
Thread: 5/8x24 right hand
MADE IN GERMANY
User removable barrel (not press fitted)

Action:
six lug lock up, rotating manual repeating (bolt)
MADE IN GERMANY
Detachable 5 round magazine (single stack)
Full length 1913 rail for optics mounting built in (zero moa slope)

TRIGGER:

Fully adjustable for take up, pull weight, and trigger position (can move trigger forward or aft inside trigger housing for your hand's. desired length of pull
Now understand, this is a $1500 rifle. Not $2500, not $4000, it's $1500!!!! I am slightly biased because I own one but before i bought it, I researched for nearly two months. This thing has everything you could possibly need.
We will start with the barrel and work our way from there. The barrel is a semi heavy barrel which means it is a heavy barrel that tapers into more a medium barrel towards end. An important note about the barrel is that the bolt locks up directly into barrel, so getting a custom made barrel might not be an easy feat to accomplish. It is pretty easy to shoot 15 shots in a row before heat begins to effect accuracy. The accuracy of this barrel is amazing given proper break in. I have shot more than 400 rounds before cleaning without accuracy loss.
The barrel has a flash hider that is threaded on (5/8 x 24 tpi) built into the flash hider are two "claw holes" that the mirage band attaches to. I have not been able to find a mirage band fire sale, but I was able toeasilyy make one with some elastic band from Wal-Mart and a sewing kit with some wire rod. The barrel is user removable via three hex key screws at the front if the receiver. The barrel is also cold hammer forged and the quality definitely showed in accuracy straight out if the box.
nevataze.jpg

The above picture shows the claw holes for the mirage band.
a8yjyqut.jpg

There is the super small hex key screw that is removed to remove the flash hider

Receiver/action.
The entire action is more or less a receiver unit the everything attaches to.
The barrel, stock, magazine, Bolt and trigger assembly are all attached to this receiver.

Trigger:

The trigger is fully adjustable for trigger position, let off weight, and take up.
y5ezupag.jpg

Take up is adjusted by using the supplied hex key and inserting it into the forward hex screw. Rotate it clock wise to decrease take up, out counterclockwise to increase take up.
As it is a two stage trigger, it is supposed to have some take up, but I have found that it is possible to decrease take up to zero and decrease let off weight to 1 lb, 5 oz by rotating the take up screw clock wise until the trigger releases the firing pin. The rotate the screw one quarter turn counterclockwise (please ensure rifle in not loaded). Then rotate the rear screw(behind the trigger)
qame9use.jpg
counterclockwise until it is flush with the top of the trigger guard. Do not take the screw out! I should mention that this will render the safety useless until the take up screw is rotated back in one full rotation clockwise to allow enough room for the safety to pass through.
Now onto the safety, it set as first mentioned as a two stage trigger, the safety is located on the side of the rifle (right side) above the trigger housing.
adybyva6.jpg
When safety is engaged (by pressing downward on the lever) the bolt may be removed as long as the bolt is already in the upward position. To disengage the safety, simply press up on the button inside the trigger housing and safety is now off. Pretty simple. To remove the bolt, rotate the bolt upward, the engage the safety, the pull the bolt rearward. The bolt will come straight out.
Adjustment of check comb is simple. Depress both buttons at each side of the cheek comb and move up our down as appropriate.
magusave.jpg
It is very sturdy and construction of the stock is top notch as far as rigidity and strength. I would not hesitate to kill a zombie with the stock alone. Haha. Some may find It's outward appearance to be hideous, but I never fail to have people ask me what kind of rifle it is and that it's beautiful.

DISASSEMBLY: very easy
1) remove the screw at the bottom of the pistol grip
yve7yve2.jpg

2) remove the hex bolt with the supplied hex key
3) remove the magazine
4) remove the hex bolt forward of the magazine well.
3eqahyqe.jpg

5) pull barreled action from stock.

REMOVAL OF BBARREL
1) unscrew forward hex bolt all the way and remove locating bolt (looks like a long sleeve threaded the inside with a flat tip at top)
2) unscrew the middle hex bolt
3) unscrew the rear hex bolt
4) twist either way back and forth while pulling to remove the barrel by hand. (When reinstalling barrel, there is a tool supplied that goes into the two holes on either side the action the front that must inserted to check correct barrel position. Also insert the locating bolt first to ensure proper barrel position and keep it securely in the desiredesired spot.)

** UPDATE** I have found that after stock and barrel removal, and after reinstallation, impact point changed only 1/4" from original POI!!

ASSEMBLY: IS IN REVERSE ORDER

This rifle will shoot half inch all day with good factory ammoammo easily quarter moa with well made hand loads. I personally prefer 45.6 grains of IMR 4064 with 175 grain Sierra match match with a .050 jump (max OAL is 2.930 with SMK's with my rifle but always measure yours

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have 4 & IMHO they are by far the best buy, most accurate out of the box rifle for under $3500 I have found.
Great review!

Last edited:
I agree completely. They truly are the best buy.

du4e5e8u.jpg

2edyguse.jpg

The picture above is at 400 yards

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395618987663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395618987663.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
How hard is it to smith up a barrel for these?

Oh yeah, I'll edit that on my original post to say it, but the bolt locks directly into the barrel so the bolt locking lugs would have to be milled into the barrel... so probably not easy

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My friend has the more expensive one in McMillan stock. Shoots great, but 43.2gr IMR4064 is max load with 175smk.

3y7ybazu.jpg
qu2ezava.jpg

Last edited:
Also, the Lee reloading manual calls for that as a max. Hornady is super underrated, sirs is pretty conservative, Nosler and Barnes are intermediate, Lyman is not quite up there as the hodgdon or Lee manual, but close. Lyman says max is 44 grains.
bu6edape.jpg
9upuqana.jpg
ysu5ejer.jpg

Thank you. He won't be disappointed. It really is an amazing rifle. I can honestly say that with out ever thinking I'm wrong.

I know i said know what you're talking about before you argue with me....... [

Wow, you're a colossal deuchebag.

I'm clearly wrong then, my friends SSG must NOT have been leaving ejector marks on the brass when loaded with more than 43.2 or 43.3gr IMR4064.

No need to respond - you've earned your rightful place on my ignore list. You're in rare company.

I wish I could post pics but I have a factory 5 shot test target that looks like mickey mouses head, 1 .308hole , 2 1/3 size holes for the ears. The other 2 went in the same hole or missed the paper but it measures 3/16" center to center 100 meters with norma ammo.
It's a 6 lug bolt (2 rows of 3) that lock directly onto the barrel.These ard made to be "gunsmith free" with all the adjustments & barrel changes done by the shooter & as for the new stock I've held both & like the new stock better.The rest is the same except the scope rail is now built in(stronger) & the barrel is threaded 5/8x24 instead of metric.
I'm glad Prause13 wrote this because so many internet experts were posting much false info. Thank you!

no idea why his would have ejector marks and mine does not. I've shot exactly 600 rounds of that load and not a single one has had any sign of overpressure. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but don't say 43.2 grains is max because it isn't. It just might be in yours. Also, Definitely find out what seating depth its at. If he put it right at book 2.800 then yeah, might be compressed enough to cause slight overpressure, but seated at .050 off lands (2.915 for me) with only .001 bullet grip. these are things that have to be considered. I'm not trying to be an ass, but these are just the facts.

I wish I could post pics but I have a factory 5 shot test target that looks like mickey mouses head, 1 .308hole , 2 1/3 size holes for the ears. The other 2 went in the same hole or missed the paper but it measures 3/16" center to center 100 meters with norma ammo.
It's a 6 lug bolt (2 rows of 3) that lock directly onto the barrel.These ard made to be "gunsmith free" with all the adjustments & barrel changes done by the shooter & as for the new stock I've held both & like the new stock better.The rest is the same except the scope rail is now built in(stronger) & the barrel is threaded 5/8x24 instead of metric.
I'm glad Prause13 wrote this because so many internet experts were posting much false info. Thank you!

NO PROBLEM! I'm happy you liked it.

My friend has the more expensive one in McMillan stock. Shoots great, but 43.2gr IMR4064 is max load with 175smk.

Every rifle is different, that's why you start lower & work up. Could be other variables. I have 45 grains of Varget pushing 175 SMKS but that's only for mine & not a recommendation for any one else or any other rifle.

Thank you for the write up, but the asterisks make it a little difficult to read. Also, how did you determine that the action was made in Germany?

If you look at the old & new style stock both say Sig New Hampshire on the receiver as they are the importer. It was like pulling teeth but I finally spoke with the man at Sig in charge of the rifle dept & verified the barreled actions were still made in Germany, the stock was made & installed here in the U.S.

Barrels for the Sauer 202 hunting rifle in std calibers with 6 locking lugs fit the SSG3000 with a slight modification. A very small amount of metal most be removed from the "headspacing/breast" on the barrel so the bolt can lock into the locking lugs. The front ring on the SSG3000 is just a tiny faction longer than on the 202. This difference is probably due to politics.. Commercial 202 barrels from other makers are dropin in both 202 and SSG3000. The SSG3000 mags accept xx-06 rounds.

Here are examples:

Sauer202 .270 Win. Matte Barrel with Sights for sale!

Sauer 202 30-06 Ilaflon Barrel with Sights for sale!

The best civilian Sauer barrels are semi weight 20", 22" and 24" barrels wich have 19mm/.75" muzzle dia. All barrels are match quality and hammerforged made in the same shop that makes Blaser and Mauser barrels. Chamber is also hammerforged.

The Sauer 202 27" 6.5x55 202 "Hunting Match/Wolverine" barrel should be a straight dropin as this barrel looks very much like a regular Sauer STR 19mm matchbarrel.

As I've said in previous threads about the SSG3000 it is a mystery to me why SIG Sauer have not killed the market in the US with this rifle and cheap barrels as they have done in Scandinavia. The technical drawings of the locking lugs is freeware, not copywrited, and any barrel maker are free to make barrels. The quality of the SSG3000 is such that it has taken the mystery away from custom built rifles. Why wait months for a gunsmith to put together a custom rifle when a shooter can build a similar performing rifle in 30 minutes? Tens of thousands of Scandinavian shooters has understood this.

Last edited:
Could not have put it better myself TorF. Thank you for the links for the barrels and if you find anymore, please post them here. I appreciate you also mentioning that the magazines are long enough to fit 06 cartridges as I forgot to mention that. I also forgot to mention that if you hand load, as implied by the magazine can fit the 06 family cartridge, you can seat the bullet to any depth with tons of room to spare.

Flylo, that is exactly correct. The receiver, both old and new, are manufactured in Germany, then imported and printed "Exeter, NH" in the U.S.

R.O.U.S. I apologize for the asterisks. I wrote the write up on my phone and did not intend for those to be put there. I will fix it today

Every rifle is different, that's why you start lower & work up. Could be other variables. I have 45 grains of Varget pushing 175 SMKS but that's only for mine & not a recommendation for any one else or any other rifle.

The same rifle I spoke of earlier had no pressure issues with 47gr Varget and 155 Lapuas.

Perhaps I miscommunicated in my initial post - I wasn't trying to pontificate the gospel of max charges anybody should run through their SSG. My objective was to provide another datapoint for those reading this thread to consider.

2 barrels that won't fit are 243 & 22-250 because for some unknown reason the only have 1 set of 3 lugs? Crazy I know.

They use a single row of 3 locking lugs on 223, 22-250/243 to reduce the distance from the mag to the chamber to get relieable feeding with short rounds. The bonus is short bolt travel and improved rapid fire shooting.

So they are or are not usable?

If you look at the old & new style stock both say Sig New Hampshire on the receiver as they are the importer. It was like pulling teeth but I finally spoke with the man at Sig in charge of the rifle dept & verified the barreled actions were still made in Germany, the stock was made & installed here in the U.S.

Thanks for taking the time to get that information. I've heard other people try to talk to Sig only to meet frustration.

R.O.U.S. I apologize for the asterisks. I wrote the write up on my phone and did not intend for those to be put there. I will fix it today

No apology necessary. I'm happy that you compiled this information.

I was bored and tired of reading wrong indignation all the time lol. I don't pretend to know ANYTHING about the older ones, but this is accurate information on the new ones

Same with me. There were a handful of people that knew what thew were talking about & boatloads of "internet experts" that I don't think ever saw one. I actually bought 5, was talked out of one, bought 2 with consecutive serial#s for my sons which I may sell as they don't show much interest. Sig USA was giving bad info telling people the barrels don't come off. Great Job & Thank You!

I was bored and tired of reading wrong indignation all the time lol. I don't pretend to know ANYTHING about the older ones, but this is accurate information on the new ones

I think they got that straight as I called them and did confirm they all are user removable but he was very adamant about "a gun Smith doing it." I assure you that is you are mechanically inclined and check for all proper positioning that there is no need for a gun Smith though. He just seemed really worried about not wanting anyone to remove the barrel... separate note, I called again about the .22 lr conversion and he said that they are not available as they are from Sig in Germany and Sig USA can only sell them when Germany sends them, which he said was being planned on them being sent, but no idea when

The SSG 3000 seems to be a great value. I've been wanting a higher end, non-custom rifle for years (thinking TRG 22 or FN A3G) - mostly "because", with the goal of punching paper and hitting steel. I'm in CT, so ~400 yards is likely as far as I'll be able to shoot without significant travel.

The SSG 3000 seems to do pretty much everything the TRG 22 does, except have a 10 round magazine. SSG 3000 also has easier barrel change option. TRG might be a touch more accurate, in the right hands with the right load.

Anyone out there shoot both? (TRG 22 an SSG 3000) If so, what real differences are there that might make spending $1500 more on the TRG.

thanks

I have a friend with the trg and i can promise you, with hand loads, the SSG is every bit as accurate. There really is zero point at all in getting the trg unless you want to spend the extra money on the larger magazine and cool looks. I truly agree with the earlier poster saying it is impossible to find a better rifle unless you are spending 2500 more... then you're not getting much extra in terms of accuracy. The SSG 3000 will do easily 1/4 minute or less with good hand loads. I shot a five shot one inch group at four hundred yards (edge to edge of group) three times consecutively... it just doesn't get much Better. The pictures of that are posted earlier on this thread.

Last edited:
It appears that the difficulty in rebarreling the rifle has been a huge impediment to adoption here - most smiths simply won't touch one. There are several threads like this one:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/83002-new-sig-ssg-3000-barrel.html

It's good to hear that someone has had good luck with one, but I'm not sure what being a jerk to other members here, even in the original post, is supposed to accomplish. Time may be better spent on learning more conventional use of asterisks, paragraphs, etc. if the goal is to write a compelling review.

It appears that the difficulty in rebarreling the rifle has been a huge impediment to adoption here - most smiths simply won't touch one. There are several threads like this one:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/83002-new-sig-ssg-3000-barrel.html

It's good to hear that someone has had good luck with one, but I'm not sure what being a jerk to other members here, even in the original post, is supposed to accomplish. Time may be better spent on learning more conventional use of asterisks, paragraphs, etc. if the goal is to write a compelling review.

Thank you for the input.

Also, not sure you bothered to read all the comments, but the grammar remark has already been addressed in a previous post as this write up was done via my phone and the paragraphs, asterisks, etc, were not intended... Thank you for your time in pointing out all the flaws.

P.s. I'm not here to be mean or nice to anyone, nor was this a review to convince people to buy it. Merely, it was to clarify the falsities that have been posted elsewhere and to give the buying, owner, etc, a reference point for better information. My intention was not to make this a grammar class. Nor was it to be a reloading thread, but I am also not going to stand idly by whilst wrong max charge information is being dispersed

Great Write Up prause13! I freaquent Alpine Range a lot but mostly on the pistol and skeet side. Would love to check this thing out in person one day and compare it to my TRG22. I love everything about the rifle except the "A2 Style" Flash Hider. It would look much better with some nice Muzzle Break instead. thanks for sharing!

Great Write Up prause13! I freaquent Alpine Range a lot but mostly on the pistol and skeet side. Would love to check this thing out in person one day and compare it to my TRG22. I love everything about the rifle except the "A2 Style" Flash Hider. It would look much better with some nice Muzzle Break instead. thanks for sharing!

I completely agree!! The flash hider is ugly and a nice muzzle break is definitely first in my list of upgrades. I'm actually heading there right now! Weather is a little crappy but today is my day off. More than welcome to check it out if you get a chance

The adapter for custom barrels are simply made by cutting off a worn out barrel about mid way on the chamber. The chamber is then drilled out and threaded and a new barrel fitted to the old barrel rear end/locking lugs. The new barrel now looks like a "MG42" barrel. This is regulary done by Scandinavian gunsmiths for shooters who want none std calibers (240 wby anyone?) or stainless barrels.

The SSG 3000 seems to be a great value. I've been wanting a higher end, non-custom rifle for years (thinking TRG 22 or FN A3G) - mostly "because", with the goal of punching paper and hitting steel. I'm in CT, so ~400 yards is likely as far as I'll be able to shoot without significant travel.

The SSG 3000 seems to do pretty much everything the TRG 22 does, except have a 10 round magazine. SSG 3000 also has easier barrel change option. TRG might be a touch more accurate, in the right hands with the right load.

Anyone out there shoot both? (TRG 22 an SSG 3000) If so, what real differences are there that might make spending $1500 more on the TRG.

thanks

I owned one of the new SSG 3000's for a bit and I agree with almost everything positive said about them. My only bone of contention with the new rifle is the stock. The cheekpiece on my rifle was NOT rock solid stable and I did not like narrow and slick cheekpiece itself. Having said that, neither of my issues may apply to you. If you can get behind the rifle first I would encourage it. At $1500 I believe they are the best value in a precision rifle out there.

I am pretty sure the barrels are threaded into a Barrel extension which is where the lug seats are, same design as a DTA. I was trying to get a few extensions from Border Barrels in Scotland last year for myself and Flylo but my contact at Border (Lee) stopped replying to my emails. I think they still make them but at this point am unsure. I can only hope that at some point Sig USA pulls their head out of their ass and starts importing the 22lr conversion as mine is crazy accurate. I also hope Sig releases that chassis they had at shot a few years back. When they do I will own one. I have owned both a TRG and a Sauer 200STR, I don't think I could choose between either. Both are excellent rifles and between them and my AW I have no desire to ever own a "custom built" rifle again. They are that good.

I didn't see a separate part on the barrel that was threaded, but not sure... But after you mentioned it, I see a separation!!! I think you're correct from the looks of it!!
eby2u2ep.jpg
7yhy4u3y.jpg

Great review! I just recently purchased an ssg 3000, I have not even had it to the range. I have also seen a lot of conflicting information. The specs with my rifle say the barrel is a 1 in 12 but I measure it at 11". Mine also came with a target printed in German with a 5 shot .630 group shot at 100 meters. Did yours come with similar documentation? I have speculated that sig may have built some in Europe with the US stock to start the new model. any thoughts on that theory? Mine was sitting in the local Walmart since July 2013. I just finally could no longer resist! I am just starting precision shooting and this is my entry into this sport. Powder is a real challenge to get so I would appreciate any other decent loads you have found for this rifle based on other powders.

Jbell:

The barrels and barrelextention is one piece both on barrels made by Sauer and Våpensmia in Norway.

Våpensmia makes one piece barrels from blanks made by Schultz &Larsen, Heym and LW.

I've heard from som sources that Border did not have the knowhow or technology to make these barrels. They had a go but failed .

OH, thank you. Maybe that is why the communication stopped so suddenly with them.

IMR 8202 XBR and 4320 are some good powders. Pretty much any powder listed in pretty much any book is good with a 168 gr SMK. SSG's seem to love those bullets. I'm just a fan of the 175's

New folding chassis from GRS riflestocks:

983578_745478485485456_1835212400_n.jpg

10167914_745478442152127_644571164_n.jpg

1534353_745494855483819_453682971_n.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up and review. I've been very interested in one of these rifles since I first read about them a few months ago. Considering what the price of the imported German model was before SIG started producing them in U.S., their specs. and the accuracy that's been reported by multiple users, I agree these rifles look to be the best deal going in precision bolt action guns for under $2,000. The only thing that's kept me from buying one so far is that they don't make a left hand version. As someone who's shot left handed for 40+ years, I've certainly operated my share of right hand bolt guns. But given a choice definitely find it easier and faster to shoot bolt action guns designed for us southpaws. However, this may be a big enough step up from the Tikka I've been considering that I may just have to learn to live with the RH bolt.

Also, nice to hear that the flash hider is easily removed, as I live in Mass. and I think this would otherwise be a deal breaker for me (it definitely is for an AR/AK and other semi auto rifles).

Thank you houndog. The German and American versions are the exact same action and barrel and both produced Germany... the only difference is 1:11 twist, and the American action had the rails integrated. You save $1000's for a more rigid action and American stock instead of McMuffin stock. Yes, I definitely can see why a RH bolt might be a setback for LH shooter, but if you can cope with it, it's definitely the way to go!!

I purchased an SSG 3000 all German in 2003. I was totally fixated on handgun and carbine at the time and it sat, "virgin" in my stock for 10 years.

Last year I got the precision rifle "bug"...and I now have a heroin level addiction.

During a recent long course at Academi (aka Blackwater) I brought an AWAX308, a TRG22, and the SSG3000 for myself and my sons. It is not an AI, not quite a TRG, but I must say it was absolutely impressive in every way. It was easily .5 to .75MOA out to 800 with a SB PMII scope and was flawless in reliability. For the price...it is a great piece of equipment.

note: The long courses at Academi are absolutely fabulous. Great place to really run both yourself and your kit.