• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig SSG3000: help me choose a new caliber

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I need more forgiving recoil characteristics for longer range bolt action rifle shooting.

I'm planning to take a couple of precision rifle classes in the spring that will range from 300-1000 yards.

I just can't tolerate the recoil of the .308 Winchester round. I added weight to the rifle, worked on balance and adjusting the stock, added a compensator/muzzle brake, really worked on technique, stance, grip etc. to little avail.
I can get through 15 rounds or so and then i'm done. It's not shoulder discomfort, it's the jarring impulse.

I do have a reloading press.

These classes shoot several hundred rounds over the course of a few days. The rifle is a Sig SSG3000. I'm told that 6xc, 6 creedmoor, 243 will all fit the stock magazine...likely there are others that might fit as well?

I would sure appreciate any guidance to preference, options, and any help/direction.

thank you

Last edited:
6.5 creedmoor, is factory match ammo by the case for your class. Less recoil and easier recoil than the 308. Better Barrel life than the 6mm varieties. Bucks wind well. The SSG would benefit from a real muzzle as well

You're basically looking for any cartridge that has the 308 win as the parent cartridge and a bolt face diameter of .470 +/-. Does the SSG3000 use AICS style mags or proprietary?

There are other 6mm cartridges like 6mmBR, 6x47, 6mm Dasher.

6mm Creedmoor will have less recoil than 6.5mm Creedmoor but there's more components out there and factory loads for 6.5 Creedmoor.

.243 will also fit your requirements if you like having factory hunting loads available.

I would recommend one of the 6mm calibers you are thinking the recoil of the 308 is too much. The 6.5 CM is certainly a mild mannered cartridge but the 6 CM even more so from a recoil perspective. 243 would be the go to round if there were good tactical factory loads (I'm only aware of hunting loads in 243 factory stuff) so the 6 CM gets the nod if you are training/competing in my opinion. There are so many 6.5s out there that maybe you know somebody with one and you can try it before you buy? A good muzzle brake should tame the 308 and make the 6.5 or the 6mm very pleasant to shoot (but much louder). Now you just have to balance barrel life between the 6.5 and 6mm to get the final answer.

it looks like one could purchase factory rounds for these classes in both the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor which is great. I'll reload when home but most classes prefer or request factory.

I forgot to ask.....what length barrel is optimal for these calibers....for benchrest and taking precision rifle classes. thanks again for everyone's input.

I dunno what kind of contour your stocks barrel channel will accept but a heavy varmint or heavy Palma in 6 Creed @ 24-26 would probably tame that rifle quite a bit. Add a brake or can for even more.

thanks, honestly not sure what contour barrel the stock will allow, I will pose that question to Benchmark Barrels. I will also ask about the heavy palma and heavy varmint.

I hope and will try to attend a competition, perhaps at least to see these calibers in action.

Go 22 Creedmoor and use the 88 ELDM/.545BC. Light loads will go 3000 fps and that's all you really need. Put a brake on it and it'll be like shooting a unbraked 223, maybe less so.

I wouldn't risk feeding and ejection problems going with the 6mmBR based cartridges unless there is a specific magazine made for them.

Yes, I understand that the SSG3000 is a bolt gun. I am suggesting a relatively inexpensive, very-low-recoil alternative that is half-the-weight , half-the-price, and still in the OP's 300-1,000yd mission.

Because the 6.5 Grendel is usually associated with semi-autos, I emphasized two bolt-action alternatives that avoid the common Grendel pitfalls.

i would stick with just getting a new barrel for the SSG, it has interchangeability for a reason, take advantage of it.
go 6.5 Creedmoor, no need to swap anything but the barrel. use Benchmarks SIG factory contour, have it threaded and add your favorite self timing brake and you are ready to go.
Pick up a bunch of mags as well

I bought a barrel from Benchmark in 6.5 creed for my German SSG3000 and love it. The best thing is that it puts 5 shots of 6.5 American Gunner into easily 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards.

If you’re that sensitive to recoil, one of the 6mms makes the most sense. I would get a 6 Creedmoor barrel from Benchmark and be done. 6 Creedmoor just to leave the factory ammo option open. The factory Hornady 6 Creedmoor ammunition has been shooting fantastic for me.

I had Benchmark spin me up a 6.5 CM for mine. It doesn't feed as smooth as the .308 because of the case taper, but if you went with a .260 it probably would. You'll need to do a little mag modding to get slick feeding with the Creedmoor. Does yours have the McMillan stock?

I think i have the second generation of the rifle...so not the original german model. Dissapointing to hear that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't feed smoothly but glad for the information. I wonder if the 6 Creedmoor would feed better than the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I checked Brownells and they sell factory ammunition for both calibers which is great as many of the classes advise against bringing handholds.

.243, .243AI would probably feed well too. Not sure on the 6 creed as I don't have one. Don't get me wrong the creedmoor will feed just fine, just not as well as a .308 based cartridge, w/o a bit of filing.

You could do 6.5x55, that’s the most common chambering for the 200 str — the close cousin of the ssg 3000