• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig virtus pistol in 5.56, looking for some guidance

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
I have learned a ton from you all and was hoping for some feedback on the sig virtus pistol in 5.56. Anyone who has shot it or own/owned it, what was your experience? I have googled everything googleable and watched every review but it is a fair amount of coin.

Honestly, it would just be a range gun, 300 yards and in. I don't hunt at this point. I don't operate operationally. I have other ARs, but variety is the spice of life right?

i am somewhat suggestable, and there has been a bunch of recent reviews come out so maybe I am just being brainwashed, so I wanted to hear from others before I listen to my inner child and just buy it, or do I slap him around and put him in timeout.

Anyone regret buying it? Did anyone think it replaces all their other semi-auto pistols/rifles? Is there something that annoys you about it.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

I got one back in March or april when covid crunch first kicked off.. Has only been to the range a few times.. I would say it is a little on the heavy side.. shoots nice and soft. Not to gassy with a can on.. have yet to do any accuracy testing on it yet.. sence it has a red dot on it.. the stock trigger is about as good as stock triggers get. But not an SSA. So upgrading to an SSA was a little lower on my list.. and I have an SSA or MBT in every gun I own. I dont regret buying it .. I just need to get out and shoot it more to realy get used to it and give more of a review. The factory pistol brace was a little flimsy. I changed it out and went with an SBA3 set up

You can get the additional barrel & bolt to be able to swap back and forth with .300 Blackout as well which is pretty nice.
That gun shooting the .300 blackouts in supersonic is great fun.

Thanks for the replies.

i'm still wanting one, but apparently the world is in cahoots with my wife and they are nowhere to be found except for some overpriced ones on gunbroker.

I mean if you can't buy a SHTF rifle when the world is burning, what's the point...

The point is to buy them before the world starts to burn lol..

The price of guns and ammo has been low the whole time trump has been in office.. I am just glad somone (the gun industry) can make money right now.. I sure cant .. I have had good luck unloading my extra guns and ammo thoe lol

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Yep, other gun purchases "got in the way."

plus I was waiting for people's experiences. I try not to be the beta tester for companies if I can help it.

Yep, other gun purchases "got in the way."

plus I was waiting for people's experiences. I try not to be the beta tester for companies if I can help it.

SOCOM is your Beta tester and they are who the Virtus comes vetted by. The Virtus was required to pass some of the most grueling requirements to win the SURG contract trials. The accuracy, reliability and heat cycling requirements were unlike anything we've ever seen before so demanding in fact that this was the 3rd time those trials were held because until now no one could pass them. The Virtus was required to hold 1.5 MOA for 5 consecutive 10 shot groups suppressed after the barrel had 10,000 rounds down the tube. Also in part due to the Virtus's Knights Armament SR15 E3 type tapered bolt the Virtus is also rated to go 20,000 rounds before needing replacement parts which IIRC is literally the same reliability standard that KAC owners rave about.

https://soldiersystems.net/2018/08/...ppressed-upper-receiver-group-from-sig-sauer/

Ppl
The people that got the original MCX where the beta testers.. Sig even changed the name to Virtus they changed so much lol

I'm not sure they were beta testers since the beginning the MCX was designed at the request of SOCOM by the designers of the HK416 as an improvement upon it.

The major generational changes to the MCX the improve or change performance have been;

1. The recall of the Legacy which was done to give the MCX a spring loaded firing pin to alleviate firing pin stirkes on one particular type of out of spec 300 BLK ammo with soft primers Chris Bartochi clarifies this in his video of the Legacy on his YT channel Small Arms Solutions. There was no issue with 556 guns that was resolved during the recall. However as a result of this recall the MCX lost compatibility with both standard AR15 triggers and bolts.

2. The Virtus comes with a better trigger than the Legacy's which stunk however again you lose compatibility with standard AR15 triggers that the original MCX had.

3. The Virtus comes with a better charging handle. Giessele makes a Legacy MCX charging handle

4. Both guns came with the same CHF nitrided barrels however Sig added approx 8oz the barrel profile of the Virtus. My guess is that Sig did it to meet SOCOM's 1.5 MOA at 300 yards even after 10,000 rounds on the barrel requirement. In reality adding 8oz to a barrel profile will make accuracy improvements but it won't make an inaccurate gun sub MOA the improvements will be marginal. As stated in an earlier post I don't have a need to heat cycle the suppressor up to 900° on full auto and then meet accuracy requirements..

5. Sig beefed up the rail and went to MLOK. There is a Midwest MLOK rail available for the Legacy.

6. Sig went to the tapped lug bolt in order to meet the 20,000 rounds without a need for parts replacements. Which if that's the only change that affected reliability Sig needed to do to get there then it goes to show you how inherently reliable of a design that the MCX is and that the Legacy was incredibly reliable as well.

7. They went to metal spring cup retention plate instead of plastic. This is the same plate that failed on Nutnfancy who admittedly ran his MCX on standard AR lower without the proper adapter during the majority of his testing. Doing so leaves the springs cup retention plate only partially supported and is indeed running the rifle in a way that is against manufacturer recommendations and the way it was intended. To his credit in a later follow up video of the MCX Nutnfancy acknowledged veiwer concerns of this and admitted that he might have caused the failure. None the less Sig redesigned and improved this part which is backwards compatible with a Legacy MCX and be ordered from Sig. The new retention plate is pinned in you'll have to remove it by punching out the pin.

8. The Virtus comes with a telescopic stock. Personally I liked the skeleton stock because weight most people report liking the new stock better however if you have a skeleton stock you dont like they are selling for $300 on Gunbroker right now they are discontinued and it seems people want them.

All in all for someone that does not run 300BLK those improvements are marginal IMO. The Legacy's trigger, stock and rail can be upgraded and it's a lighter platform however the Virtus comes that way is a bit more accurate and is rated for 20,000 rounds. Personally I prefer the lighter Legacy the gun is very well balanced and it handles very very well and mine is pre recall as I don't shoot 300BLK and I like having the ability to have AR15 bolt compatibility as one day parts may get hard to find especially for a proprietary gun but I already have spare AR15 bolts.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
Since you are have a fair bit of information about it.
What Sig barrels do you need if you want to put a full 16" barrel on your MCX Virtus pistol?

Have the 300 and have ran a lot of rounds through it, all suppressed. Has not had a single failure and doesn't get cleaned much. Will hit steel at 500yds with some consistency. I am quite impressed and may get another.