• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes sighting problems....

sv650_pimpin

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2009
Collins, MS
I just bought a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope. Cabelas mounted it. and sighted it for 50 yards. with my tangefinder at a target at 45 yards. scope is wayy off. how do i sight it in, when its so bad i cant even hit the target? im shooting a rem 700 sps-v .308. any suggestions?

tonight, im going to bore sight it myself. then after that i might try to sight it at 100 yards with a bore sighter. is that a good idea? can a laser go 100 yards? and is that a good idea?

i need help

Re: sighting problems....

If it is a bolt rifle then remove the bolt amd rest the rifle on a good solid bag. Now set up a target with a small center spot (1" or so) at 50 yds. Look down the bore of the rifle and center your target spot in the bore. While the spot is centered in the bore of the rifle, look thru the scope and adjust your windage and elevation so the crosshairs intersect the spot on the target. Double check your centered target in the center of the bore and the crosshairs on the target. Replace the bolt and fire a round. You should be on paper and within a few inches. Adj. the windage and elev. accordingly and then move out to 100 yds.

STOP!
Take the top half ring off first. Now take your scope out, and rotate the knobs all the way up/down, left/right at least 30 times each. Now that you have done this, look through the scope as it sits in the bottom ring half. Slowly rotate the scope and watch the reticle. Your reticle will scribe an arc at it's center. Now rotate your windage and elevation knobs until your reticle rotates on it's central axis(the center of the crosshair will stay centered). You have now centered your reticle in it's erector housing. Mount it.
Now you can mount it and get a good boresight zero at 100M. Do not waste your time with anything shorter. Once you have it squared away, shoot it at 25M to see if it's on paper, then move to 100M to insure you are on paper and adjust. At this point you shold be good to go.
Cross Bolts: 25"#
Ring Screws: 15"#

I think i have found the problem. I put a laser in my rifle. Zeroed it in, shot, dead on. Took another shot, way off. Like 2 inches off. So I put my bore sight back in, it was off. I zeroed it in again, shot, dead on. Second shot, off again, this time in the totally opposite direction. Does my scope need to be torqued down or is my scope not working right?

It's a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 - 14x40