• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron finally entering the game

I do like the glass in SIII series and the scopes of Sightron.
But what the fk, how come they do not make the zero stop in theyr scopes?
Zero stop is kind of must in these days premium scopes.
If you do not have that, it is like a car with all the goods, but, there is no AC.
Please Sightron, do think this game as a play where you do also want to get in to a goal.
If you are just making "these" scopes you are doing, you will be drop in to the game, and there is very dificult to get back.
Check out the game and come back with the hunger for the game, or your play off will be playd permanently.

Will do some testing over coming days ,but as its a preproduction item i can't realy take this as 100% relevant to production items that i know already have some small changes over this unit.

Attachments

• 20180528_122509.jpg
    20180528_122509.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Stickshift
I do like the glass in SIII series and the scopes of Sightron.
But what the fk, how come they do not make the zero stop in theyr scopes?
Zero stop is kind of must in these days premium scopes.
If you do not have that, it is like a car with all the goods, but, there is no AC.
Please Sightron, do think this game as a play where you do also want to get in to a goal.
If you are just making "these" scopes you are doing, you will be drop in to the game, and there is very dificult to get back.
Check out the game and come back with the hunger for the game, or your play off will be playd permanently.

They have zero stops on many SIII scopes...here is a link to what I posted. Crazy thing is, that whenever a company comes out with new products, you can't get them to shut up about it. With these guys, its almost like a secret. Few vendors are showing these models, even though its been a month since they were released.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sightron-zero-stop-scopes.6886737/

Will do some testing over coming days ,but as its a preproduction item i can't realy take this as 100% relevant to production items that i know already have some small changes over this unit.

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these new scopes.

Not jet ready to give a full verdict ,will do some LR shooting over the weekend and deeper evaluation of the scope .

Reactions: layback04
I am anxious to see how this scope performs. I want the siii ffp but it looks like this scope may be a better fit for my upcoming build.

Got some feedback from Sightron. They are sending their lead technician to Japan around the 20th of June to inspect the first batch of these. If all is well, they will be shipped stateside, where they undergo a final inspection. If everything goes according to plan, they should be shipping to dealers during the later half of July.

Reactions: Kane0519
Yes first batch is only 12 or so scopes and second batch about the same is incoming end of August .

My testing of the SVSSED4.524x56FFP prototype is still ongoing . I like the optical and mechanical part . On turrets i am still working on some ideas ........

I'm in Florida! I'll go! And I'm an engineer that knows what we expect out of a tactical scope. M

P.S. Don't tell my wife I'm going....

While I really want to get my scope, I am VERY happy that they are being methodical and careful with the release.

The lead tech is probably going to observe and verify the test process for the initial sample batch, which is a small scale initial production run (or 'pilot' run). If Sightron doesn't have the equipment to replicate the tests in house and is accepting deliveries on Certificates of Compliance from whoever is making them, they want to verify the quality process before delivery.

That's how it works in my industry at least - an engineer from a third party agency witnesses performance tests so they can trust the CoCs that the manufacturer issues us (the customer).

Reactions: lash
And its likely not only for the new SV FFP ,also scope has some mods made to it that will only now apear on the production items .

Reactions: Stickshift
What's the dealio?
Any first impressions you can report on?

Run a first match with it so far glass and mechanical parts are excelent ,turrets also klick nicely and adjustemnt or seting zero are no issue but turrets with no zero stop nor adequate rev indication(locking turret makes it even more of an issue) are definetly an issue and on the preproduction scope the paralax and ilumination knobs are too close in diameter so sometimes when adjusting paralax illumination is kicked in (this was been updated already on the producstion scopes, but not the elevation turret zerostop issue).

My prediciton that in courent configuration scopes will not sell well. At 2K customers expect more features not just great glass.

Run a first match with it so far glass and mechanical parts are excelent ,turrets also klick nicely and adjustemnt or seting zero are no issue but turrets with no zero stop nor adequate rev indication(locking turret makes it even more of an issue) are definetly an issue and on the preproduction scope the paralax and ilumination knobs are too close in diameter so sometimes when adjusting paralax illumination is kicked in (this was been updated already on the producstion scopes, but not the elevation turret zerostop issue).

My prediciton that in courent configuration scopes will not sell well. At 2K customers expect more features not just great glass.
Thanks for the update.
I have actually pre-ordered one.
While I appreciate having a zero-stop, with today's flat shooting cartridges, how many times do you get on the second rev in a match?
I was torn between ordering one of these and ordering a Bushnell DMR II or XRS II, but I could not get past the minimum parallax distance of the Bushnell offerings. It came down to a choice between a zero stop or sub-50 yard (or 75 in the XRS) focus.

Sightron is an enigma, they make really dandy scopes, but never include the features that folks want or demand.

Thanks for the update.
I have actually pre-ordered one.
While I appreciate having a zero-stop, with today's flat shooting cartridges, how many times do you get on the second rev in a match?
I was torn between ordering one of these and ordering a Bushnell DMR II or XRS II, but I could not get past the minimum parallax distance of the Bushnell offerings. It came down to a choice between a zero stop or sub-50 yard (or 75 in the XRS) focus.

Sightron is an enigma, they make really dandy scopes, but never include the features that folks want or demand.
I can't remember from January when I looked these up. Does this scope have 10 mils per turn? If so, then your comment is pretty accurate. The older versions (SIII and previous) had only 5 mils/turn, making the zero stop issue very real.

I do agree with @Mr.BR that Sightron has not approached the tactical market as well as they should have.

I can't remember from January when I looked these up. Does this scope have 10 mils per turn? If so, then your comment is pretty accurate. The older versions (SIII and previous) had only 5 mils/turn, making the zero stop issue very real.

I do agree with @Mr.BR that Sightron has not approached the tactical market as well as they should have.
Yes, 10 mils per turn

This has been my chief complaint with Sightron for years. Their scopes have far better glass than their price point and arguably THE best in their range. Tracking has always been spot on. Between the glass and tracking, they've covered what are probably the two most important requirements for making a good scope. They haven't made a "tactical" scope, but you'll see a whole lot of Sightrons at F-class or Benchrest matches. My complaint has always been the lack of options, like reticles, 10-mil turrets, or even a zero stop. Like you said, I don't necessarily need a zero stop. My match rifles all get out to 1000+ in under one rev, so I've never been at let's say 14 mils when I needed to be at 4, but if you're offering it as a post-purchase option, why not just include it?

I'll say I'm hopeful they tweak their pre-production prototype a little because I'm definitely interested. I've liked Sightrons in the past and I'll give it a hard look, depending on their price point.

The one Sightron that I own is an SIII that has only 5 mils per turn. Thus, the basic zero stop question matters to me. I used this scope for matches for almost two full years, until I zeroed a stage at a Gap Grind match from getting lost in the turret in the heat of the moment.. Totally my fault as far as that goes, but as you know, when at a match, if there is anything that can be done to reduce possibilities for error, it's better to do it than not.

The one Sightron that I own is an SIII that has only 5 mils per turn. Thus, the basic zero stop question matters to me. I used this scope for matches for almost two full years, until I zeroed a stage at a Gap Grind match from getting lost in the turret in the heat of the moment.. Totally my fault as far as that goes, but as you know, when at a match, if there is anything that can be done to reduce possibilities for error, it's better to do it than not.
Understood (fwiw they offer aftermarket zero stops), but this scope has 10 mils per turn.

Yeah, I saw earlier this year that they are now offering zero stops through Sightron for the SIII series, I just haven't taken off the .30-06 that it currently sits on to do so.

Understood (fwiw they offer aftermarket zero stops), but this scope has 10 mils per turn.

Exactly! If they had left it at 5 mil turns, then a zero stop or second/third/whatever rev indicator is a must. With ten mil turrets and most of the 6mm or 6.5mm cartridges we shoot in matches, you’ll only be in the mid 7 to high 8 mil range to get to 1k, so a zero stop or rev indicator doesn’t become a necessity, but a luxury.

I agree with what you guys are saying here. I like Sightron. I want to use their SIII scope, but they just lack a little bit in the feature category for it to be my go-to scope.

If they make a change to what they’re proposing here, it’ll be a very nice scope that will sell well.

The problem to me is that the pricing is at a point where the market is very competitive. Doing the bulk of the important things right isn’t just a step in the right direction, it’s absolutley mandatory. Even the small details become mandatory. If this were $750-$1000, I get it that budget had to come over all features. But at $2k you’ve passed beyond the point where it’s acceptable to leave things out. You’ve passed the point where small details can go unaddressed in the name of value.

I agree that zero stop on a 10MIL turret isn’t needed. I’d argue though that at this price point, it is needed for this market. I’m sure this will be a great scop but to me it feels like the glass needs to dominate the market to make a buyer forget the little things they didn’t get. I don’t think the glass will be anything but great, but I don’t think it will be enough to make the rest of the market look like a bad deal.