• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sightron using SWFA nitrogen?

my87csx481

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2022
Fort Fairfield, ME, USA
Finally got around to mounting an S6 5-30 I picked up a few months ago. Happened to see this on the bottom. Sorry if this is already common knowledge.

sightron S6.jpg

Seems like it's pretty clear who makes the non-HD SWFA scopes...

If that's factory original, then Kenko Tokina makes the SWFA along with their Sightron brand.
Ah, okay. That makes complete sense. I do not know the Japanese scope manufactures at all. All that I do know is that the two Sightron that I do own, a ten year old SIII and a new SV8, both hit way above their price point. Yes, it did take Sightron too long to incorporate tactical improvements in their line, but I’m more than fine with their results.

I do like my Sightrons I own many (mostly 10-50x60s and 5-40x56s) however the relatively low 22.5 MILs of total elevation travel just kept me away from buying this new model. My next mid level 5-30x56 is probably going to be the Maven S.4 if it ever dips below $1400 during their next sale.

How much total elevation does yours actually have?

I do like my Sightrons I own many (mostly 10-50x60s and 5-40x56s) however the relatively low 22.5 MILs of total elevation travel just kept me away from buying this new model. My next mid level 5-30x56 is probably going to be the Maven S.4 if it ever dips below $1400 during their next sale.

How much total elevation does yours actually have?
I’m confused, and also admit that I wrote SV8 above and meant the SVIII. The 5-40 has 40 mils total travel available. How much actual useable travel you have, after you factor in you action rail slope and your zero stop setting, is variable.
A 50-60 MOA rail works real well with this optic for maximum available elevation travel.

Reactions: Scopeye
One has around 42 MILS and I didn't test the others that I have that are still in their unopened boxes. Limited range time prohibited my shooting lately. No canted MOA rail used.

If Burris ever makes 40mm Signature XTR rings I'M IN!!!

How much does yours have?

One has around 42 MILS and I didn't test the others that I have that are still in their unopened boxes. Limited range time prohibited my shooting lately. No canted MOA rail used.

If Burris ever makes 40mm Signature XTR rings I'M IN!!!

How much does yours have?
Mine is actually in wait for its build, still in the box. My friend has his on a 50 moa rail and has a 100y zero and shoots out to two miles. Very nice glass.

Reactions: Scopeye
It’s been known for a long time kenko makes sightron and swfa non hd. It’s easy to see someone at the factory just happened to not switch stickers after nitro charging swfa scopes when they switched to sightron. It was apparent years ago when I had a sightron s3 next to my 10xss that they were made in the same factory. I later found out my suspicions was correct thru internet sources. Kenko seems to be one of the more reliable manufacturers. I believe they have a factory in the Philippines, I suspect they are making Burris xtr 2 and 3s, vortex pst 2s and the Glx primary arms scopes. But thats pure speculation.

Reactions: Earnhardt
SWFA have a patent on Nitrogen purging so most companies end up using SWFA nitrogen for one reason or another.

Only high end Euro companies like Kahles and S&B don't use SWFA nitrogen, they use the Schott Nitrogen which is designed to work with Scott glass.

SWFA historically haven't enforced their patent, but now their business model has changed they are starting to get tougher.
I imagine we will see more of these stickers going forward.

SWFA have a patent on Nitrogen purging so most companies end up using SWFA nitrogen for one reason or another.

Only high end Euro companies like Kahles and S&B don't use SWFA nitrogen, they use the Schott Nitrogen which is designed to work with Scott glass.

SWFA historically haven't enforced their patent, but now their business model has changed they are starting to get tougher.
This is what I suspected at first, coming from a manufacturing background, but when I searched for info about SWFA and nitrogen purging scopes I didn’t find anything to confirm.

I obviously didn’t use the right search terms. Thanks for the info.

To address a few things from this thread:
Kenko makes SWFA's scopes (the fixed powers, 3-15x42, 1-4x24 and 2.5-10x32) and always has.
Someone at the factory must have grabbed the wrong sticker.
Kenko does have factories i nboth Japan and Phillipines.
PA GLx and Burris XTR II and III are not made by Kenko.

ILya

I appreciate your humor. My choice in thread title was my failed attempt at humor.

Thanks all for confirming what I thought may not be too well known. I could not find any info on it....but I admit I did not spend a lot of time looking either.

Reactions: beetroot and lash
Mine is actually in wait for its build, still in the box. My friend has his on a 50 moa rail and has a 100y zero and shoots out to two miles. Very nice glass.
I personally like the Sightron SVIII more than the G3 Razor according to my own eyes like Sightron image quality the glass a little better. The G3 Razor with it's new improved turrets is still in a class of its own though especially based on it's best in the business lifetime warranty including their electronics and very close to tier 1 IMHO.