• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes sightron vs falcon??

Re: sightron vs falcon??

Falcon is a piece of shit that I wouldn't use to drive nails with.

Sightrons are dependable, cheap scopes that won't let you down.

Your welcome.

why dont you tell em how you feel Jason.
laugh.gif
sent you a pm Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, what leads to the strong opinion against the Falcons?
</div></div>

I've owned two of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, what leads to the strong opinion against the Falcons?
</div></div>

I've owned two of them. </div></div>

Jason,

Getting any sleep?

I have a Sightron on my .270. I like it. I have to be cautious in my optics purchases as I simply can't afford the amazing glass in the USO, S&B, Zeiss, etc. class. I look for that magical, miracle value in the $250-$400.00 range. Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, Sightron, etc., all have decent values in that range, without too many horror stories.

Now when I win tonight's Florida lotto, my policy will completely change...

Quee,

A guy we shoot with at HardRock shoots Sightrons, I've looked through his and for the price, they're a good scope.

Plus, he's been beating on his for a long time with no complaints. If I needed "cheap glass", personally, it would be where I go.

I bought the Falcon b/c I wanted to try a couple cheap scopes while I was waiting on funds for nicer stuff. The glass is fine, the reticle is nice, but the rest of it (the parts the counts!) is hokey as shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quee,

A guy we shoot with at HardRock shoots Sightrons, I've looked through his and for the price, they're a good scope.

Plus, he's been beating on his for a long time with no complaints. If I needed "cheap glass", personally, it would be where I go.

I bought the Falcon b/c I wanted to try a couple cheap scopes while I was waiting on funds for nicer stuff. The glass is fine, the reticle is nice, but the rest of it (the parts the counts!) is hokey as shit. </div></div>

I'll agree with Jason on all accounts, (about the Falcons, never owned a sightron)
the turrets didn't bother me as much as they did him...
they seem to land "between the graduations" instead of on them...
(I don't have the upgraded knobs) but it appears to be accurate and return to zero.... (I have adjusted up 5 Mil and back down to zero, and it was still dead on)
the flip-up covers are a joke....

FWIW....

I've got two Sightron SIIs and one Falcon. For the same money, I'd pick the Falcon over the Sightron because of the 30mm tube and side focus. The glass may be a little clearer on the Falcon also.

For scopes under $500, look at the Super Sniper and the WOTac. I've had a WOTac on my 50BMG for @ 50 rounds and it has held up well, I swapped it with a Super Sniper, but haven't shot it since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anybody give some feed back on the two of these.. the pros and cons of both..
jgunner </div></div>

What is your need?

For the most part, they're apple and oranges. The Falcons (with the exception of the 4.5-18) are simply the least expensive, semi-viable FFP option out their for a lot of people. LoneWolfUSMC ran one on his service rifle for quite a while and still seems to think rather favorably of it.

Sightron, to the best of my knowledge, does not currently make an FFP scope. If this is not an issue to you, then buy Sightron with confidence, as their S2 & S3 lines offer good to great glass. They just don't offer a lot of the features that people who shoot unknown distance targets might choose.

John

Okay you owned two of them, were fine with the glass and the reticle...

but what specifically bothered you about the scope?

Considering I am expecting to receive mine in a week or two, I'd like to know what to expect and check for.

On mine the glass and reticle are fine.
The flip caps sucked but I bought Butler Creeks
The adjustment knobs were mushy but cleaning and light grease fixed that
Impossible to get the knobs to zero but the new style knobs fixed that

Total cost of fixes maybe $20.00 and 10 minutes cleaning and lube

I'm happy with mine and think it's a good value, YMMV.
Have fun with your new glass

On mine, when I took the turrets off to zero it, I noticed the turrets were hokey as shit and would wiggle back and forth. Not exactly what I would trust. Didn't track for shit either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On mine, when I took the turrets off to zero it, I noticed the turrets were hokey as shit and would wiggle back and forth. </div></div>

I noticed it too. Almost as if the rubber o-ring is there for mechanical centering and support. I still like what I got for the money, but am anxiously awaiting a superior package with FFP in the 600-800 range with the same magnification or more.

John

Sightron. I have an SIII and there ain't nothing shabby about that piece of glass.

I have one of the newer Falcons with the new turret knobs with 3 screws per knob. I think Falcon heard all the complains and started fixing stuff. Mine tracks and returns to starting point in a big box test. Knobs feel like positive clicks and no mush.

No experience with Falcon, but fully endorse Sightron--I've owned three S2s and even an S1 for my girl's rifle. They've all been awesome scopes, esp in terms of bang for the buck. So good that you feel embarrassed when you pick up an equivalent Leupold--the glass is not as good, the adjustments are not as crisp. All my S2's were much brighter and crisper than my Leupy VX-3's, and generally for a lot less money. Also you can kick them down a hill and still they hold their zero.

Only downside to Sightron, as jrob said, is that their offerings in terms of models are a little more limited and also recently they seem to be reducing the models they make. But if they make what you want, buy with confidence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLITT1668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any comments/opinions on the Millett TRS-1? </div></div> Well first this is a not a millet thread but I like the Millet scopes for the cash, I would however hold off and save to get the sightron. Better glass and just about everything else with the sightron.

Very simple; Falcons are just cheap scopes (great for internet snipers). On the other hand, Sightrons are quality scopes with nice clicks, tracking, very good clarity, excellent eye relief....etc.

I have never owned a falcon but I fully endorse Sightron as I own a Big Sky 4-16x42. Which has crisp, clear, bright glass, tracks beautifully. And gives me all the elevation adjustment I need. Their warranty is lifetime replacement no questions asked.

I have owned the following scopes:
this is also the order I rate them based on clarity, tracking ability, how well they hold zero, ruggedness, usable adjustment range, cost (overal value):

1 USO ST-10 with ergo, illumination, erek, matching reticle
3 S3 series sightrons (two 3.5-10x44, one 6-24x50) mildots,
1 Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 tactical,
1 Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5x44 AO
3 Weaver Classic Extreme 30mm with illuminated dot 2.5-10x50 SF (two duplex, one german #4)
1 Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF
1 Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 SF
2 Bushnell 3200 10x tactical,
3 Super Snipers (2 10x SF, 16x),
1 Redfield 3-9x40
2 Russian PSOP 8x42, 6x42
1 Russian PSO-1 4x
1 Seals 8-32x50
1 Simmons 44 mag 6.5-20x44
1 Tasco 6-24x42 AO
1 Tasco model 706 12x AO Long Tube scope with unertl External Mounts and adjustments
1 Bushnell Rangefinding scope (idea is same as redfield accurange) 4-12x40 AO
1 ATN 5x33l
1 Bushnell Sportview 4x32
4 BSA (one sweet 22 3-12x40 AO, one sweet .223 6-18x40 AO, one 8-32x44 AO Platinum, one 6-24x40 SF tactical scope)

As you can see I have seen my share of different designs of scopes from the bottom level to one of the best.

And look whats in second place--the 3 sightrons. I fully endorse these scopes. These are great scopes. Glass is great, clicks are dead on and positive(no mushiness), holds zero, very rugged, large amount of usable adjustment range, and cost for me was not that high(hint: I did not pay anywhere near retail price).

Thanks guys... was looking at getting some more range time before dropping big bux on a USO so have been looking for an economical glass to get some rounds downrange with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay you owned two of them, were fine with the glass and the reticle...

but what specifically bothered you about the scope?

Considering I am expecting to receive mine in a week or two, I'd like to know what to expect and check for. </div></div>

I still have two mounted on rifles. One is my primary Deer rifle and the other is on a 24" AR. The scopes are great and probably won't be replaced. You'll be impressed with Sightron.

I have three Sightron II's. One on a 17HMR (3x12), one on a 12 gauge slug gun (2x7), and one on a Savage Smokeless 10 MLII (3x12). The slug gun and the Savage muzzle loader are BRUTAL on scopes, and both blew out the leupolds. That said, I have also have two USO SN3's, assorted leupolds, and assorted Nikons. The Sightrons have not lost zero, and are great optics for the money. For the 308, and the soon coming 7mm WSM I will only use the USO's. I have been looking for some glass for a 300 Win Mag that I hunt with (a very light gun, and without a muzzle break), and was considering a Falcon or WoTac. However, I will most likely stick with another sighton (but the USO 1.5x6 with the CQB is really pulling at me).