• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SIII glass vs PST glass

JAAM12

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
Iowa
Hey guys. How does the glass compare between the SIII and the new vortex PST. I know the feature will be different. I have a couple of 5R 223s that need glass. I am thinking of the new 2011 SIII 6-24 or 8-32 or the SFP 6-24 PST. The scope will be used for pdogs and target shooting.

Thanks, John

Re: SIII glass vs PST glass

I have two SIII, a 8-32 and a 6-24, the glass is as good as my old nightforce BR, which I sold shortly after getting the first sightron. They are all i need for Fclass matches.

Since you have two rifles, why not buy one of each?

Yes that is a good idea. I have a 260 rem for f class as well. So maybe a SIII 6-24 and PST 6-24 on the 223s and SIII 8-32 for the 260.

John

Also the comments on the glass of the PSTs are not always "wowing" the owners. I am going to continue to read the reviews and see what the overall take is on the glass quality. However, the features of the PST scopes are great. I am more interested in the glass quality, but I am also interested in the PST.

John

I would love to hear what you think if you were to buy those. I have been very impressed with the sightron so far, especially when side by side with a nightforce. I can not tell the difference whatsoever. Even the color hues are the same to me and everyone else that's looked through with me. I have not used a PST so I can not speak to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also the comments on the glass of the PSTs are not always "wowing" the owners. I am going to continue to read the reviews and see what the overall take is on the glass quality. However, the features of the PST scopes are great. I am more interested in the glass quality, but I am also interested in the PST.

John </div></div>

In addition to the quality of glass being hyper subjective, you are also adding into the confusion by accepting internet "reviews" at all.

Barring members with whom you have developed some trust over years of "knowing" them on the web, or seeing their posts over a long period of time and seeing them validated with results or others who know them etc, 90% of what you read may be straight up true or straight up false.

It is best to actually use the scopes yourself to compare.

In my opinion anyone who makes a bunch of negative comments about the glass in the PST is either being intentionally misleading, or unintentionally misleading.

Because, the glass is excellent in the PST's. Not only relative to price, but relative to other excellent optics. Just another internet opinion, but one that I know is accurate.
wink.gif

I did some casual A-B between my new 6-24 PST and my Razor 5-20 day before yesterday. My initial response was that at 20x and below on the PST there really wasn't an obvious difference ( the PST became noticeably dimmer at 24x than the Razor at 20x... but to be expected). Keep in mind that I didn't spend hours poring over the most minute details of optical quality... but a few minutes behind each revealed nothing that popped out at me...

Will do some more A-B this week, as well as comparison to a 4-16 PST and the Weaver 3-15. I wish I had a Sightron to throw into the mix.. but my opinion is that every Sightron I've ever looked through has been stunning. Now if they could just offer a scope with a feature-set that the tactical crowd would be pleased with.

John

Yes agree, that is why I am reading the reviews from SH, and site sponsors. It would be nice to find the scopes in the local stores to look at. With that said, the PST is geared towards the precision crowd. I agree vortex has done a great job on the PST line.

John

I have both the old style SIII 6x24 and pst 6x24.

I think the glass is very close between the 2 scopes. Which is to say very good.

Overall the PST has a lot more features for the money. I would like to see if the 2011 SIII add's the features of the PST without increasing the price.

Yes I would like to see that as well. They are getting closer. Maybe they will have Matching reticles/turrets, along with zero stops & with illuminated reticles in one package. I guest we will find out.

John

I don't understand why the PST keeps getting sucked into glass comparisons and always by guys with less than 100 posts.
I would like to see it compared more on features where it really kicks ass.
I guess you can tell I am a PST fan.
The glass on the PST is way beyond being an issue for realistic use.

For p-dogs and target shooting you don't need one of the most important features (for many of us) that sets the PST apart from the SIII and that is FFP.

I agree with that, but most of the people asking for comparisons of the two ARE target or Pdog shooters. For that kind of shooting (where its more precise than a steel silhouette at X range) glass is very important. I've seen very few people ask which is better for Tactical competitions because the PST is by far because of FFP.

Also Temecula wine > Napa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why the PST keeps getting sucked into glass comparisons and always by guys with less than 100 posts. </div></div>

My guess is that a lot of this internet talk about scopes will die down a bit when a lot more people actually get their scopes and the weather clears up a tad so people can be shooting instead of posting.
grin.gif

If you're trying to see animals in low light or identify a threat in a dark window @ 800m I can understand the need for really good glass. But I personally think there is WAY too much emphasis on quality of glass in general here, when you consider that the vast majority of the members of this site are going to be shooting a bright white steel plate in the middle of the day.

John

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure what the post think has to do with the request. I have been reading SH and other site for over 2 years, however, I became a member in 2010. I am not posting alot just to get my post count up. I do own several Mk4s & other luepolds, a couple of vipers, some SS10x and IORs. I was just wonder how the glass was on the PST. I realize the features are not the same, however, the tactical scopes have alot to offer guys who target shoot and for hunters. It seems based on the info on this sight and others, the matching reticles is one of the most important features in any scope. Follow by zero stops and FFP (ranging and comp) vs SFP. I have two 5r 223s that need scopes. So I was just interested on guys who own both scopes (SIII and PST) to give us their take on the glass. I would like to put different scopes on the 5rs. I also stated the reason for the requested info. It seems the tactical scopes have alot to offer hunters as well. The SFP PST looks like it would be a fun scope to own and use. Thanks again for the info.

John