• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Silencer Central Rant.........

FrankinND

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2019
I bought a Shotgun van from Ryan Harkema from a fun show in North Dakota. Have nothing but the best things to say about experience. Took less then 10 minutes for finger prints
And all the other bs.

Fast forward today..... been thinking about a rifle can for a while . The Bannister Silencer Central had was very nice. Disassembles really easy
And looks very top notch and idiot proof to reassemble after cleaning.

I decided on a Thunderbeast so I called them up having such a good first experience why not. Ryan btw wasn’t my salesman and they said yes they can get them....... he proceeded to say it would take at least 4 months to get a serial number and then the wait would start after that. He followed that saying they did there own test of the Thunderbeast ... I think he said there was a YouTube video about it ??? He said the point of impact does change with the Thunderbeast and that they have Banisters in stock with serial numbers and ready to go.

I was in shocked at how rude he was.
Maybe the Thunderbeast is sub par to the Banister?? Wtf do I know ....I don’t own either. He actually made me feel embarrassed that I would be calling asking for a sub par can compared to for a Banister
So after the call my embarrassment leads to my anger so I’m here to blow some steam off...

It’s not what he said to me but more about how he said it. Even if one is better then the other why make the person feel like shit about there buying decisions? Any thoughts guys thanks for listening?

Reactions: Aftermath
Here's a video from the 2209 days, assuming he meant the Banish (they claim was "formerly called the Varminter 4.0")

We ship@ cans daily to our dealer/distributor network. The easiest way to find what you need in a timely fashion is this tool,

Thanks Zak!

You probably don’t remember me but I talked to you about an Ai Legacy I bought years ago.

If I start talking to someone and they have negative things to say about TBAC, it has become rapidly apparent that they know nothing about anything.
Well I don’t know what his problem is? I think they have company that produces there can by the boat load because of the volume they sale. I know my salesman said they are the biggest seller of cans in the United States. Also know I will never buy another can from them and will tell everyone I know about how I was treated.

I've talked with the guys that actually make the Dakota Silencer/silencercentral cans at reasonable length on a few different equations, and they know what's up. I'd be shocked if the dudes actually producing the cans treated you that way, or for that matter would have anything bad to say about a competitor. Sounds to me like you got a sales counter moron pushing you toward a higher-margin product.

Reactions: Caseylee
SUPER doubt that.

I have no idea if that claim is true either. I do know that I spoke with a few of the Silencer Central guys at a local outdoors show and the gentleman I talked with mentioned that last year they did more than $2 Million in tax stamps.
A. What an odd metric...vs just saying we sold 10,000 cans last year (2,000,000/200=10,000)
B. I have no idea if that is a "lot" of silencers. It sounds like a lot, but without a frame of reference regarding the rest of the market or their market share, it's kind of meaningless.

Full disclosure, I have a couple of Banish cans in ATF jail right now.

I have no idea if that claim is true either. I do know that I spoke with a few of the Silencer Central guys at a local outdoors show and the gentleman I talked with mentioned that last year they did more than $2 Million in tax stamps.
A. What an odd metric...vs just saying we sold 10,000 cans last year (2,000,000/200=10,000)
B. I have no idea if that is a "lot" of silencers. It sounds like a lot, but without a frame of reference regarding the rest of the market or their market share, it's kind of meaningless.

Full disclosure, I have a couple of Banish cans in ATF jail right now.
Ryan told me he sold 70,000
Cans last year by himself. I find that hard to believe but why do I know.
I do know they have salesman hitting guns shows in the Midwest pretty much every weekend. But 70,000 ???
It only took him 10 minutes to roll me through in Fargo and I saw a few other transactions made . I think if you did the math that wouldn’t work out.

I do know they have salesman hitting guns shows in the Midwest pretty much every weekend. But 70,000 ???
It only took him 10 minutes to roll me through in Fargo and I saw a few other transactions made . I think if you did the math that wouldn’t work out.

Yeah, that doesn't work....
If he worked 350 days, he'd be selling 200 cans per day. Maybe he meant $70k in tax stamps. I don't know. This is an industry I know almost nothing about and I'm making some big speculations about how it works. For all I know, they could have commercial customers that make up the bulk of their sales.

I was told by an employee at the local gun shop to stay away from Silencer Central. Said he was at a show and they were very rude about his questions on their trusts and what not. He said to put it nicely they told him to go pound sand. Said he’ll never do business with them. And now from what I’m reading maybe I won’t either. Although the Banish was on my radar for my first suppressor. But I’m leaning to an Ultra 9 I think.

I have 8 cans, all through Dakota silencer/silencer central. Have had outstanding experiences with them.
7 silencerco, and 1 dead air. However, I knew exactly what I wanted when I called them.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Yeah I don't believe 70k either. According to this website, 400k silencers sold from 2016-2017. https://freebeacon.com/issues/atf-d...n-silencers-united-states-rarely-used-crimes/

Assuming similar numbers for current year that means he sold almost 20% of the cans nationwide per year? No way

That's impressive the NFA was able to process that many forms in a year. That's 1538 approvals per day. Website also says 33 people handling the approvals. That comes out to almost 6 per hour per person

Yeah I don't believe 70k either. According to this website, 400k silencers sold from 2016-2017. https://freebeacon.com/issues/atf-d...n-silencers-united-states-rarely-used-crimes/

Assuming similar numbers for current year that means he sold almost 20% of the cans nationwide per year? No way

That's impressive the NFA was able to process that many forms in a year. That's 1538 approvals per day. Website also says 33 people handling the approvals. That comes out to almost 6 per hour per person
Well
They do claim to be the biggest seller of cans but yes I think those numbers are scewed. I think he said there is like only 6 or 8 people that work there. Like 4 that so the shows, 2 phone sales, A lady that processes the paperwork and the owner.

The website said and ADDITIONAL 33 people processing applications. They didn’t say how many they had to start with

I’ve never even heard of this company..and they’re down playing TBAC? Riiiiight cause nothing makes for good business strategy like criticizing the gold standard in the industry for going on 15+ years now if not longer.

You know what this sounds like? It sounds like SAS all over again.

But yeah OP I’d tell them to pound sand. And TBAC is second to none as far as weight, POI shift, and customer service is concerned.

Last edited:
I’ve had a similar experience with silencer central or Dakota silencer. Not sure which is their name now. Never again will I do business with them.

I’ve never even heard of this company..and they’re down playing TBAC? Riiiiight cause nothing makes for good business strategy like criticizing the gold standard in the industry for going on 15+ years now if not longer.

You know what this sounds like? It sounds like SAS all over again.

But yeah OP I’d tell them to pound sand. And TBAC is second to none as far as weight, POI shift, and customer service is concerned.
That’s why I want one of there rifle cans because I’ve never heard a bad thing about them except Silencer Central

I sent a rifle to them to be threaded first of the year. Sent it back with one of their gunshow people set up at our local gunshow. Couple weeks later got an email that it was done. That was it, nothing else. Figured I'd get another email in a day or two telling me that it had shipped. Nope. Came home 3 days later, late afternoon and there was my rifle. Literally half on, half on my front porch. Looked like the SpeeDee guy walked up to the steps, leaned over and just laid it down. No signature required apparently! Busy street, a LOT of traffic. Don't know how long it had been sitting there out in plain sight or when it was delivered. When I called about it, "oh, you didn't get an email? That's odd." They did a good job of threading, but certainly not impressed with their service. I would have had the local gunsmith do it but he's usually back logged 7-8 months.

I sent a rifle to them to be threaded first of the year. Sent it back with one of their gunshow people set up at our local gunshow. Couple weeks later got an email that it was done. That was it, nothing else. Figured I'd get another email in a day or two telling me that it had shipped. Nope. Came home 3 days later, late afternoon and there was my rifle. Literally half on, half on my front porch. Looked like the SpeeDee guy walked up to the steps, leaned over and just laid it down. No signature required apparently! Busy street, a LOT of traffic. Don't know how long it had been sitting there out in plain sight or when it was delivered. When I called about it, "oh, you didn't get an email? That's odd." They did a good job of threading, but certainly not impressed with their service. I would have had the local gunsmith do it but he's usually back logged 7-8 months.

Well according to them they are growing by leaps and bounds
And probably have some bugs to work out.
I do remember seeing a picture or video of the rifles they collected at a gun show for threading. I was quite impressed. Looked like that had over a 100 rifles all stacked on each other. Looked like half a van load. Glad mine wasn’t in the bottom!

I have 8 cans, all through Dakota silencer/silencer central. Have had outstanding experiences with them.
7 silencerco, and 1 dead air. However, I knew exactly what I wanted when I called them.
Thank you for your purchase! We are happy to assist with any future cans you want to get started on.

I bought a Shotgun van from Ryan Harkema from a fun show in North Dakota. Have nothing but the best things to say about experience. Took less then 10 minutes for finger prints
And all the other bs.

Fast forward today..... been thinking about a rifle can for a while . The Bannister Silencer Central had was very nice. Disassembles really easy

I decided on a Thunderbeast so I called them up having such a good first experience why not. Ryan btw wasn’t my salesman and they said yes they can get them....... he proceeded to say it would take at least 4 months to get a serial number and then the wait would start after that. He followed that saying they did there own test of the Thunderbeast ... I think he said there was a YouTube video about it ??? He said the point of impact does change with the Thunderbeast and that they have Banisters in stock with serial numbers and ready to go.

Maybe the Thunderbeast is sub par to the Banister?? Wtf do I know ....I don’t own either. He actually made me feel embarrassed that I would be calling asking for a sub par can compared to for a Banister
So after the call my embarrassment leads to my anger so I’m here to blow some steam off...

It’s not what he said to me but more about how he said it. Even if one is better then the other why make the person feel like shit about there buying decisions? Any thoughts guys thanks for listening?
I purchased mine from SC and have had a great experience. I have checkout there youtube channel that have some good stuff. Maybe just a bad day for the sales guy... sorry man.

Basically, all of the silencer manufacturers hate each other. That’s what I’ve gathered :p. I’ve talked with more than one.

I own a banish 30, it’s great. Also have a TBAC 22 Takedown, a Banish 223, and a couple Rugged suppressors in jail.

Whereas Silencer Shop is more of a mall owner that happens to also make their own suppressors, Silencer Central is more like a manufacturer that also happens to sell a few other brands. SC is definitely more focused on selling their brand, but at least it is a very good product made by the Mack Bros.

I was told by an employee at the local gun shop to stay away from Silencer Central. Said he was at a show and they were very rude about his questions on their trusts and what not. He said to put it nicely they told him to go pound sand. Said he’ll never do business with them. And now from what I’m reading maybe I won’t either. Although the Banish was on my radar for my first suppressor. But I’m leaning to an Ultra 9 I think.
I purchased mine from SC and have had a great experience.

I called SC and had the same experience as Frank. I told them I wanted a TBAC and he basically said I was stupid and that the Banish was the best can available. I said I didn't want a Banish I wanted a TBAC and he said that's fine if I want a "sub par" suppressor. Because of that experience I bought 2 suppressors elsewhere. My buddy also just bought 2 elsewhere when I told him about my phone convo there. Another buddy is going to purchase from another place instead of SC after hearing about it.

Maybe I caught the guy on a bad day but when most places sell for the same price I'm not going to support a D Bag or a company that keeps them around.

Basically, all of the silencer manufacturers hate each other. That’s what I’ve gathered :p. I’ve talked with more than one.

I own a banish 30, it’s great. Also have a TBAC 22 Takedown, a Banish 223, and a couple Rugged suppressors in jail.

Whereas Silencer Shop is more of a mall owner that happens to also make their own suppressors, Silencer Central is more like a manufacturer that also happens to sell a few other brands. SC is definitely more focused on selling their brand, but at least it is a very good product made by the Mack Bros.
I'm going to agree with everything you said here. This forum is a tribe and has all the good and bad that goes along with tribalism. Silencer Central has a small following that is nothing compared to some of the other big boys in the industry that are very popular on this forum, but they also don't do themselves many favors by making tall claims that can't be validated regarding being the largest silencer shop in the country. Do the Mack Brothers build a good product for them? From everything that I can tell, yes. However, a silencer is a passive component, and if it's built decently, you're not going to have a lot going back for warranty because there just isn't a lot to wear out or fail if you don't have a baffle strike (reference the built decently comment). You also don't hear many people complaining about their silencers not being as good as the guy next to him because A) all things considered, they're kind of rare, and B) nobody wants to bitch about something that cost more than $1k and that they waited 9 - 12 months to get. However, neither of those things will keep anyone from pounding their chest about how awesome their purchase is.

Reactions: ACard
I called SC and had the same experience as Frank. I told them I wanted a TBAC and he basically said I was stupid and that the Banish was the best can available. I said I didn't want a Banish I wanted a TBAC and he said that's fine if I want a "sub par" suppressor. Because of that experience I bought 2 suppressors elsewhere. My buddy also just bought 2 elsewhere when I told him about my phone convo there. Another buddy is going to purchase from another place instead of SC after hearing about it.

Maybe I caught the guy on a bad day but when most places sell for the same price I'm not going to support a D Bag or a company that keeps them around.
This made me chuckle. I must have talked to the same guy - or their training program is total crap. I called to ask if there was a minimum barrel length for magnum style cartridges and the guy I spoke with pretty much wouldn't answer the question but instead kept saying "why would you want a 6.5 PRC or 300 wm with a barrel less than 24"? That defeats the purpose of it being a magnum...."
I like their product, their customer service is hit and miss.

And all the other bs.

Where in ND are you? I have a CB7 you can shoot if you want . Give it a test drive first. I love my TB and the guys have been super helpful

I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. Tried to order another companies suppressor (after buying a Banish 30 from them), and I was told that the suppressor didn't meet their standards, so they wouldn't sell it to me. I think it has to do more with them having very little profit selling someone else's suppressor. Obviously, the statement on their website that they will order anyone's suppressor is false.

And all the other bs.

He was in the mode that we in the technology business call ... "Sell what's on the truck". It's about "revenue recognition", in that you can't book the revenue until you can link a product directly to a paying customer. It sucks, but it's how they put food on the table.

The central problem with suppressors in the USA is understanding the NFA trust.

SC deals with this by offering a free trust. They say you can buy a suppressor somewhere else and they’ll add it to the trust, but they fail on the execution. (They also sell their suppressors a bit too hard).

SS gives you some paid options, like one-shot trusts and I believe a traditional trust, but that still leaves the consumer to mainly figure this crap out.

If someone was really motivated, they’d forget manufacturing and build a biz around the entire customer/suppressor experience. Manage the trust end-to-end first and sell suppressors second (and thirdly, clean them too? Cleaning is another perennial question on forums). Hell, if you want to really up the game, create a marketplace for used suppressors with you as the broker.

Reactions: MarinePMI

SC deals with this by offering a free trust. They say you can buy a suppressor somewhere else and they’ll add it to the trust, but they fail on the execution. (They also sell their suppressors a bit too hard).

SS gives you some paid options, like one-shot trusts and I believe a traditional trust, but that still leaves the consumer to mainly figure this crap out.

If someone was really motivated, they’d forget manufacturing and build a biz around the entire customer/suppressor experience. Manage the trust end-to-end first and sell suppressors second (and thirdly, clean them too? Cleaning is another perennial question on forums). Hell, if you want to really up the game, create a marketplace for used suppressors with you as the broker.
For trust I went local with an nfa trust lawyer that tries to get good laws on the books. Like CLEO notification letters can't be used to create database.

I update the trust myself but if I have questions I can call him. He also owns nfa items himself.

If you can find a good more local nfa trust guy that is good.

Reactions: carbonbased
For trust I went local with an nfa trust lawyer that tries to get good laws on the books. Like CLEO notification letters can't be used to create database.

I update the trust myself but if I have questions I can call him. He also owns nfa items himself.

If you can find a good more local nfa trust guy that is good.
This is what I have done.

But I think there is money being left on the "suppressor table", if you will, as many joes think spending $500 for such a thing to be "too expensive" and they "don't have the money" to hire a gun lawyer (as they wander the range/hike the mountains/take a bubble bath with their super-rifle).

With all the suppressor regs and unclear answers about trusts, customers aren't really buying just a tube, they're buying a solution to owning that stupid tube and passing it down to their kids.

This is what I have done.

But I think there is money being left on the "suppressor table", if you will, as many joes think spending $500 for such a thing to be "too expensive" and they "don't have the money" to hire a gun lawyer (as they wander the range/hike the mountains/take a bubble bath with their super-rifle).

With all the suppressor regs and unclear answers about trusts, customers aren't really buying just a tube, they're buying a solution to owning that stupid tube and passing it down to their kids.
I don't disagree. Silencer shop doesn't do too bad. Could be much better. Maybe @HansohnBrothers could do it?

Hit the nail on the head! This is honestly why after buying dozens of stamps I ended up dealing with Capitol Armory. My experience has been absolutely stellar and their customer service is second to none. I had a long conversation with the owner after buying several cans, and bringing them new customers, about how pleased I was with the service they provided and he told me the reason he originally got into the game as a business was the piss poor experiences he had experienced buying his first few items, so he made it his goal to offer a customer service oriented buying experience. Recently I introduced a newer shooter to them that bought a TBAC online at 10 pm on a Sunday. He had a question and emailed them to get clarification and figured he would get an answer sometime Monday... well he got an answer within a few minutes...at after 10 pm on a Sunday...thats customer service, above and beyond. YMMV

Just get a trust from Gun Trust Guru. He has it dialed. Under $100
I have a $500 gun trust now from a local NFA lawyer. But hear me out. As a TBAC guy, you deal with this stuff as a matter of course. It’s obvious to you, you know who is trustworthy, the ins and outs etc.

But the typical guy goes to SS or SC and sees what is on offer. They research some cans (SS does a nice job on sound stuff. Yeah, it’s not perfect, but…). Then they hear about potential legal issues of other buddies/family members using their cans, about having to give them to the ATF after they’re dead (if no trust).

So they try to research that. What they find is a bunch of gibberish. Nuggets of wisdom inside a metric shit-ton of poo. Who to trust? What is legally sound?

They then put off buying a suppressor. Your product.

When you design a suppressor, you look for what works and what didn’t, right? That part there failed, this part here looks sound, etc etc etc.

What I’m telling the suppressor manufacturers and sellers reading this thread is that your system has poor integration, parts don’t fit together well, and some parts are broken. Manufacturers/sellers can listen or not.

At some point, someone creates a better system. Will it be you?

This is not just to Zak. You = all suppressor manufacturers and sellers.

Why don’t you, in an empathic and open-minded way, research and analyze the current customer experience. I do such a thing at work. Maybe you already have. Ideally, OBSERVE THEM IN REAL TIME when they try to purchase your product (with their permission). Have them talk out loud. Record it. Make stats out of it.

Just like you approach mechanical engineering. Scientifically.

Then make some hypotheses. Design some solutions. Test those solutions on users. Repeat if needed.

It works and one learns surprising things.

edit: put another way, you don’t ask your supressor how it worked, right? You observe it, break it, record it breaking, hypothesize why it broke, and try to improve it.

People will say they did/liked one thing and when they actually acted/felt completely opposite. This is well known in user testing.

If all you’re doing is asking users how a purchase went (focus groups, reviews, surveys, trade show feedback, how they feel), you’re doing it wrong.

Last edited:
@SilencerCentral recently joined the forum. I would invite them to read this thread and digest the actual feedback (even the bashing) and think about what the market is saying and what the market is asking for.

I've spent a lot of money with @SilencerCentral and genuinely want you guys to continue to prosper but there are some grievances mentioned in this here that you should read so you can be proactive about changing your image.

SS has it pretty integrated. Their biggest two downsides seem to be managing their supply chain and alienating local dealers from actively stocking cans, who like it or not we all depend on for NFA stuff. From our perspective we have a lot of customers who only want to buy from SS, which in your scenario demonstrates a certain level of success on their part.

We answer questions every day about how to buy a suppressor. We've been recommending GTG for like 5 years now.

Not arguing, there's no question that the NFA landscape is way more complicated than it needs to be.

My experience buying a can. Pain is bolded.
  1. Suppressor specs (comparison), who’s testing in a trustworthy manner, how they measure
  2. Where to buy?
  3. I have to wait how long?!
  4. OMG GUN TRUSTS SUCK
  5. Buy it
  6. Please clean this for me (or esp with rimfire, help me clean it without filling me with lead)
  7. Wait, I can’t feasibly sell this fucker?

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C.
@SilencerCentral recently joined the forum. I would invite them to read this thread and digest the actual feedback (even the bashing) and think about what the market is saying and what the market is asking for.

I've spent a lot of money with @SilencerCentral and genuinely want you guys to continue to prosper but there are some grievances mentioned in this here that you should read so you can be proactive about changing your image.
This thread is being shared with management so that they can evaluate everything here - good and bad. Thank you!

This thread is being shared with management so that they can evaluate everything here - good and bad. Thank you!
Have them imagine an app/website that would allow you to add people to your trust in all the myriad ways, allow those people to digitally sign, and print out.

Imagine adding any silencer, from any manufacturer, to your trust via the app/website.

Then imagine that app/website reminding you about your once yearly cleaning (sealed cans for sure, TBAC offers this service). As an aside, build an efficient sealed-can cleaning unit for consumers. Ultrasonic plus a high pressure wand that blasts water towards a can’s walls?

Finally, imagine the app/website, or another one by the same biz, offering a marketplace for used suppressors, with the biz as the NFA wait time “escrow” (I.e. holds onto the can during waiting period for stamp).

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ