• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SilencerCo Chimera300

Wildfire45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2019
Im ready to take the plunge into the suppressor world. Like many I'm looking for the one mythical do it all can for centerfire rifle use. Maximum sound reduction isn't a first priority so much as durability, warranty, lack/least POI shift, weight length and versatility. I would like it to be hearing safe with a 5.56 AR if possible and able to be used up to .300 Winmag. No barrel restrictions and FA rated are desired due to durability. The most use will be on 5.56 AR's including SBR/pistol but it would pull duty on hunting rigs and a planned LR project most likely in .300 Winmag.

I think I have narrowed down to SilencerCo Chimera, plan B being DeadAir Sandman S. Im looking for anyone who owns or has used the Chimera and your opinions. Also interested in the Deadair Sandman series opinions. I would prefer quick attach options but honestly its secondary to me, from what I can see thats irrelevant for these two options.

I have shot several suppressed weapons but they were fairly specific (MP5SD, AR w/ gem tech, and various pistols), no large caliber rifle or long range stuff suppressed. So I'm fairly green to suppressors. If I'm missing something or off base feel free to let me know, too much time/$ investment to screw up. Feel free to mention other recommended options preferably in the sub 1K price range but I'm most interested in feedback on these too.

Thanks all in advance.

CGS Helios QD outperforms both of those and is far more versatile. It can be converted to a flow through type silencer just by changing the front cap. Currently sold as a kit with everything you need for just about any centerfire rifle host. Use a YHM Kurz kit for QD and system overall length is only ~7.1". Not under $1k pricing though.

CGS Helios QD outperforms both of those and is far more versatile. It can be converted to a flow through type silencer just by changing the front cap. Currently sold as a kit with everything you need for just about any centerfire rifle host. Use a YHM Kurz kit for QD and system overall length is only ~7.1". Not under $1k pricing though.
Did you go to work for Q?

I own a chimera and its great. It spends 99% of its time on my desert tech covert. It'll handle anything you can throw at it. Its not unreasonably heavy. Its very versatile because of the attachment system(like most quick attach cans). And it does a good job of suppression. I say get it and enjoy. Silencerco makes good shit.
20200530_175044.jpg

Have you considered the Nomad? Or the Surge762? Heck, Rex Silentium makes excellent cans for the price that you're looking at (I have a MG7 in 30 cal). I have a few SilencerCo cans among others. I rarely use my SilencerCo's anymore, they just sit in the safe. There are just better performing products out there.

And don't worry about quick detach options. Worry about standard mount compatibility... Then you will never need to be stuck with a proprietary mount.

I have one that I use on almost everything. I’ve put hundreds of 300 win, 2000+ 5.56, about 1000 6.5 creed and a few hundred 308 through it. Zero complaints, it seems bullet proof. Works well with precision and doing rat a tat tat shooting.

Love my Chimera. It’s a tank. I have several different cans @ it’s my favorite.

I own a chimera and its great. It spends 99% of its time on my desert tech covert. It'll handle anything you can throw at it. Its not unreasonably heavy. Its very versatile because of the attachment system(like most quick attach cans). And it does a good job of suppression. I say get it and enjoy. Silencerco makes good shit.View attachment 7482908

I love the look of that setup, but the suppressor isn't way "out there" on your DT, which helps balance things out. Put a chimera on the end of a traditional 24" barrel bolt action, and it will suck.

I love the look of that setup, but the suppressor isn't way "out there" on your DT, which helps balance things out. Put a chimera on the end of a traditional 24" barrel bolt action, and it will suck.

Yeah. Its definitely not a light can