• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SilencerCo recall notice

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    Heads up:

SilencerCo Recall Notice!
    Stop the sale of affected suppressors immediately.

We have detected that a limited number of SilencerCo suppressors are subject to a safety recall. We urgently request your help to keep customers safe. Please read the recall requirements below and follow these steps quickly so we can obtain and repair all affected suppressors. We appreciate your understanding

Recall Issue: We have discovered a welding defect on certain suppressors that poses a safety threat to users. Weld defects may cause a catastrophic failure, creating a significant safety issue. Discontinue using potentially affected suppressors immediately until the serial number has been verified as not subject to the recall.

Recalled Products: OMEGA 300, OMEGA 36M, HYBRID 46, HARVESTER EVO, and HYBRID 46M SUPPRESSORS purchased after June 1, 2023, through October 9, 2023.

For whatever it's worth, I feel this is the upstanding way to handle a potentially serious problem. Much better than the ad hoc method of letting users suffer a field failure and then send it in for a warranty claim. I doubt this will stop the usual chorus of idiots from taking the opportunity to dog on a company they don't like, so let's sit back and wait for the thread to devolve in the usual manner.

Purchases between 6/1/23-10/9/23. I bet most are still at the dealers.

Both good, and bad, IMO

Reactions: kthomas
    I’ve seen where people have had their Silencerco cans blow apart from bad welds long before June of this year. Must be a pretty high failure rate if they’re actually putting out a recall now.

There was a company a few years ago that had some lazy/shitty Welder and they put out a ton of cans before they fired their ass. With the competitive market and long lead times for atf wait, you would think they would use xray inspection of welds on every can to ensure they were welded togeth3r properly. It's too big a risk not to IMO.

With the competitive market and long lead times for atf wait, you would think they would use xray inspection of welds on every can to ensure they were welded togeth3r properly.

Why invest the capital in a process like that when you can just lean on your customers to do the testing themselves, and then trip over themselves on social media to talk about how quickly your customer service team addressed the problem? That strategy works right up until it doesn't, and then you can go start a new company.

In all seriousness, most companies would be well-advised to simply do some up-front process capacity improvement before jumping to an expensive non-destructive test procedure. Toyota figured this stuff out and taught it to the world, but yet everyone wants to behave that it's still the 1950s and pretends to demonstrate "quality control" by trying to test after the defect has already occurred. That's not the way the big boys behave.

Bad welds, alignment issues, cans blowing up, and delaminating issues are nothing new for SiCo. There’s a reason they’re no longer considered a tier-1 can company. But that’s stupid to take a shot across the bow at Dead Air, when SiCo has had a history of issues and doing the exact same thing. Saying either company is holding the moral high ground when it comes to this sort of issue, is laughable at best. IMO, neither company has handled these issues properly, so I’m not talking a side, just saying don’t act hypocritical towards one over the other.

Like was mentioned above, must be a huge number of them for them to actually announce a recall… Look how many fucked up Octane and Harvester cans are/were out there over the years, and never heard a peep from SiCo… Not saying they aren’t doing the right thing NOW, but to act like they are morally superior to any other company is hilarious.

When your average workforce is a lazy American who doesn't give a shit, you need controls. This is not Japan where TQM and other shit is culturally in sync.

You build those controls into the process. That's the whole point of said controls. And if you have a "lazy workforce", that's a cultural problem in the plant. Take some ownership of the problems and correct them.

After seeing the public’s reaction to how DA is managing their sierra 5 failures, SiCo be like:
    IMG_0026.gif

Bad welds, alignment issues, cans blowing up, and delaminating issues are nothing new for SiCo. There’s a reason they’re no longer considered a tier-1 can company. But that’s stupid to take a shot across the bow at Dead Air, when SiCo has had a history of issues and doing the exact same thing. Saying either company is holding the moral high ground when it comes to this sort of issue, is laughable at best. IMO, neither company has handled these issues properly, so I’m not talking a side, just saying don’t act hypocritical towards one over the other.

Like was mentioned above, must be a huge number of them for them to actually announce a recall… Look how many fucked up Octane and Harvester cans are/were out there over the years, and never heard a peep from SiCo… Not saying they aren’t doing the right thing NOW, but to act like they are morally superior to any other company is hilarious.
    I don't see anyone mentioning Dead Air except you... am I missing a part of this story?

Yes, you’re missing a lot. But it’s best to just leave it be.

Not wanting to stir the pot… but I just got approved to go pick up my first two suppressors, a Dead Air Sandman L, and a Dead Air Mask… should I be worried, or anything I should be aware of regarding safety issues before taking these things out to the range? If anyone knows and could PM me to avoid whatever potential mess I might be starting by asking, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
    -Trent

Not wanting to stir the pot… but I just got approved to go pick up my first two suppressors, a Dead Air Sandman L, and a Dead Air Mask… should I be worried, or anything I should be aware of regarding safety issues before taking these things out to the range? If anyone knows and could PM me to avoid whatever potential mess I might be starting by asking, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
    -Trent
    Just search it on here. I have 2 nomads and a 3rd in jail. Mine have been great so far as have the vast majority but there's been some issues with cans coming apart. Not sure if it's just the Ti ones or what but it's taken a very long time for some to get their cans repaired after failure.

Reactions: Trent A
    Just search it on here. I have 2 nomads and a 3rd in jail. Mine have been great so far as have the vast majority but there's been some issues with cans coming apart. Not sure if it's just the Ti ones or what but it's taken a very long time for some to get their cans repaired after failure.

Been googling it the last hour reading up on various issues… it’s a bit alarming, but, it’s also hard for me to tell so far how bad the issue really is vs if I’m just reading posts making it sound worse than it is. Sure hope I don’t end up with a dud.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Been googling it the last hour reading up on various issues… it’s a bit alarming, but, it’s also hard for me to tell so far how bad the issue really is vs if I’m just reading posts making it sound worse than it is. Sure hope I don’t end up with a dud.
    Yeah I'm right there with you for my Ti-L nomad. Keep in mind, they sell A TON of suppressors. They had the market share because of how good their cans are so its unlikely you or I will get one that has issues. That said, it sucks to know if we do, they will have our new can for many months before fixing it.

Reactions: FuhQ and Trent A
    Yeah I'm right there with you for my Ti-L nomad. Keep in mind, they sell A TON of suppressors. They had the market share because of how good their cans are so its unlikely you or I will get one that has issues. That said, it sucks to know if we do, they will have our new can for many months before fixing it.

I was actually wondering just that, if there was anywhere that had an actual percentage or ratio of how often issues are occurring. 1:100, I’ll proceed with extreme caution, but if it’s 1:1,000+, I’ll roll the dice, lol. Probably a stupid thing to say considering the potential ramifications if you are that unlucky winner, but I think you get what I mean. Not going to go sticking my face by it or anything thinking I can trust it, lol, but I’d feel more comfortable pulling the trigger, literally.

I was actually wondering just that, if there was anywhere that had an actual percentage or ratio of how often issues are occurring. 1:100, I’ll proceed with extreme caution, but if it’s 1:1,000+, I’ll roll the dice, lol. Probably a stupid thing to say considering the potential ramifications if you are that unlucky winner, but I think you get what I mean. Not going to go sticking my face by it or anything thinking I can trust it, lol, but I’d feel more comfortable pulling the trigger, literally.
    I would think the percentage of failure rate is pretty dang low given the amount of cans they sell. Somewhere in one of the threads here there was a real number posted by the rep I think (I could have made that up but I think I remember that) and it was less than 1%. Odds are good that we will both be fine but if DA would just take control of the situation instead of letting their precious contractor take forever to warranty things it wouldn't even be a big deal. I also have a Polonium I'm jail and if it does what I think it will do, that's probably the manufacturer I will be going to other than Tbac of course from here on out. Not that I "need" any other cans after that one because I think I will have all rifles that I want to dedicated at that point. Maybe one more .45cal can and I'm good to go. I like getting new ones but I'm tired of this waiting game for a year to do it and the expense can go to my loading and shooting and not cans.

Reactions: FuhQ and Trent A
    TBH, I don't follow all the controversy with this kind of thing, which is why I hadn't even heard about DA's issues until now. I just watch reviews on products, try them out if possible and then I make a decision on it. I guarantee every suppressor manufacturer has had a dud. It's near impossible to know when your dealing with metal at high temperatures whether in the assembly or disposition of the product. Extrusions can have pockets, an area can get too hot while welding. If you've seen what I've seen in the aircraft industry in regards to metallurgy, you might not want to fly again.

I will admit, I the only issue I ever had in my dealings was a DA Keymo flash hider that did not lock on tight. At first I thought it was the mount, but after comparing it to another flash hider I got my hands on, it mic'd smaller at the locking shoulder. I contacted them, then sent an RMA and I had a new flash hider in less than a week.

Thank you in advance!
    -Trent
    The Mask will be fine guaranteed... It's a titanium tube with 17-4 stainless baffles (no Stellite parts). There has never been any issues with the Mask cans to my knowledge. At least, none that I've ever heard of or read about online. So, your Mask should be 100% good to go.

And most likely you'll be ok with the Sandman-L. The main ones that really seem to be effected are the Sierra 5 cans. But there have been a few reports of some Sandman cans getting some of the bad stellite baffles. Honestly, I wouldn't be all that worried, or sweating the small stuff just yet.

When you pickup your Sandman, I would take a bright LED flashlight, and look into the back of the can at the clean unfired blast baffles around the edge that's welded, and make sure there's nothing that looks like a crack or fracture. If it all looks fine, shoot it a few rounds and check everything with the flashlight again. If it's good after 50-100 rounds of 5.56, you're probably ok. But nothing man-made is ever guaranteed, unfortunately.

I have 4 DA cans (Nomad-LT, Sandman-S, Sandman-S MIL Contract, & Mask HD), and none of mine have had any issues. They have all been perfect. But I also bought all mine from 2020-2021, long before there was ever any issues with a bad batch of Stellite baffles that accidentally got through QC at the forge, and then made it through QC at DA/KGM. My advice, stay positive, and not pessimistic, it's either going to be fine, or it's not. If not, that sucks, but there ARE options. For example, ECCO Machine is doing repairs for a reasonable cost, and in a SUPER fast turnaround time, so that is always an option, instead of waiting on DA/KGM to get it fixed in the next 365 days. 🤦🏼 DA is going to really shoot themselves in the foot if they don't get this customer service/repair issues fixed ASAP. I really hope they do. But only time will tell.

So my Omega 300 BOGO will not be headed to my FFL anytime soon 😂

I would think the percentage of failure rate is pretty dang low given the amount of cans they sell. Somewhere in one of the threads here there was a real number posted by the rep I think (I could have made that up but I think I remember that) and it was less than 1%. Odds are good that we will both be fine but if DA would just take control of the situation instead of letting their precious contractor take forever to warranty things it wouldn't even be a big deal. I also have a Polonium I'm jail and if it does what I think it will do, that's probably the manufacturer I will be going to other than Tbac of course from here on out. Not that I "need" any other cans after that one because I think I will have all rifles that I want to dedicated at that point. Maybe one more .45cal can and I'm good to go. I like getting new ones but I'm tired of this waiting game for a year to do it and the expense can go to my loading and shooting and not cans.
    You're going to love that Polonium (full-size)... And while Andrew and John are goofy and have a weird sense of humor (I do too, which is why I get along with them so well), OCL takes good care of their customers, and on their IG, they posted up that since they opened their doors with all the several thousands of cans they've sold...They've only had to repair 4...yes, FOUR suppressors from defects...And they were all fixed and turned around in like 2 weeks form date of arrival. And the customer's satisfaction seems to be their #1 priority.

I've tried to get Andrew to make a .45 caliber Lithium, and he said he might in the future. But for now, the Obsidian 45 is still the best .45 can on the market. Really love mine...The modularity is nice, too. The 45 can in it's K-config is longer than the 9mm can in it's K-config, so you actually get a bit more baffles & volume in the .45 can in it's short configuration, than the 9mm can.

So my Omega 300 BOGO will not be headed to my FFL anytime soon 😂
    There were guys waiting like 1-1.5 years to get their free can from SiCo... That's one of the big things that turned me off of them. Even though it's free, that's still not cool. You're already going to have wait 8-12 months for the Form4, don't make them wait another 12 before they can even start the process...

Didn't take long for this thread to turn from "heads up guys, recall notice from SiCo for these cans produced in this date range" to "wHy ArE yOu GuYs So MeAn tO dEaD aIr!?!?"

• Haha
    The Mask will be fine guaranteed... It's a titanium tube with 17-4 stainless baffles (no Stellite parts). There has never been any issues with the Mask cans to my knowledge. At least, none that I've ever heard of or read about online. So, your Mask should be 100% good to go.

And most likely you'll be ok with the Sandman-L. The main ones that really seem to be effected are the Sierra 5 cans. But there have been a few reports of some Sandman cans getting some of the bad stellite baffles. Honestly, I wouldn't be all that worried, or sweating the small stuff just yet.

When you pickup your Sandman, I would take a bright LED flashlight, and look into the back of the can at the clean unfired blast baffles around the edge that's welded, and make sure there's nothing that looks like a crack or fracture. If it all looks fine, shoot it a few rounds and check everything with the flashlight again. If it's good after 50-100 rounds of 5.56, you're probably ok. But nothing man-made is ever guaranteed, unfortunately.

I have 4 DA cans (Nomad-LT, Sandman-S, Sandman-S MIL Contract, & Mask HD), and none of mine have had any issues. They have all been perfect. But I also bought all mine from 2020-2021, long before there was ever any issues with a bad batch of Stellite baffles that accidentally got through QC at the forge, and then made it through QC at DA/KGM. My advice, stay positive, and not pessimistic, it's either going to be fine, or it's not. If not, that sucks, but there ARE options. For example, ECCO Machine is doing repairs for a reasonable cost, and in a SUPER fast turnaround time, so that is always an option, instead of waiting on DA/KGM to get it fixed in the next 365 days. 🤦🏼 DA is going to really shoot themselves in the foot if they don't get this customer service/repair issues fixed ASAP. I really hope they do. But only time will tell.

Great suggestion regarding the pre inspection of the suppressor to look for any obvious red flags! I feel like I’m yo-yoing on how co concerned I am over the issue. Really potential injury is my biggest concern. This is my first suppressor. I’ve gone 35 years without ever using one, so if it has to go back to the shop, what’s another year without, right? Super glad to hear there are alternative options to getting it fixed too! My second biggest concern was that DA could potentially go under and that I would be stuck with a busted suppressor with no means of ever potentially getting it fixed. Super happy to hear that’s not the case! Thank you for that ray of light in this shit storm of less than stellar news, lol :)

You're going to love that Polonium (full-size)... And while Andrew and John are goofy and have a weird sense of humor (I do too, which is why I get along with them so well), OCL takes good care of their customers, and on their IG, they posted up that since they opened their doors with all the several thousands of cans they've sold...They've only had to repair 4...yes, FOUR suppressors from defects...And they were all fixed and turned around in like 2 weeks form date of arrival. And the customer's satisfaction seems to be their #1 priority.

I've tried to get Andrew to make a .45 caliber Lithium, and he said he might in the future. But for now, the Obsidian 45 is still the best .45 can on the market. Really love mine...The modularity is nice, too. The 45 can in it's K-config is longer than the 9mm can in it's K-config, so you actually get a bit more baffles & volume in the .45 can in it's short configuration, than the 9mm can.

What company does OCL stand for?

Didn't take long for this thread to turn from "heads up guys, recall notice from SiCo for these cans produced in this date range" to "wHy ArE yOu GuYs So MeAn tO dEaD aIr!?!?"

I do appologize. I did initially request someone PM me with what I was missing regarding DA to try to keep the threat from getting off track, but I clearly got lost in conversation and things spiraled from there, lol.

I don't see anyone mentioning Dead Air except you... am I missing a part of this story?
    People will do what they can to crap on another company to make themselves feel better about their purchase. There are trackers out there that show DA has more baffle strikes and failures than anyone else, albeit this is all from data people are willing giving up.