• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silhoutte shooting

Re: Silhoutte shooting

Chris is right.

And if you haven't been practicing your offhand (standing position) shooting, then you better start RIGHT NOW.
smile.gif

It's been a while since I shot a smallbore silhouette match, but if I recall correctly, the distances you'll be shooting are:

Chickens, 40m
Pigs, 50m
Turkeys, 75m
Rams, 100m

Know your comeups for each distance, and PRACTICE YOUR STANDING POSITION SHOOTING.

Be prepared to be humbled. Out of a standard 40 shot round, I think I hit 13 the first time I went. The chickens are my worst animal. Despite being the closest, those bastards are little-bitty.

If you're shooting in hunter class (or whatever it's called), keep the weight above 2 pounds.

Here are some thoughts for your consideration, though some may be pretty elementary:

Get a timer and pace yourself - take your time.

Push trigger back only when on target moving towards center, hold when moving off, push when it comes back around, repeat....

Oxygenate.... If you can't get the shot off in one breath, bring the gun down and start over - don't rush the shot.

Make sure you have a good spotter to call your impacts.

Bring the gun down and relax in-between shots, if time permits (and you should have time).

Volunteer to set-up, clean-up, or tear down, if your schedule permits.

And of course, don't anticipate the shot and drop the gun, nor yank that fire control....

Be safe, follow instructions, and have fun!

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 50ft scaled target at the end of my hallway and I have been dry firing offhand every night. </div></div>

That's the ticket. Goodonya mate.
smile.gif

Know your come-ups, and you'll be in good shape.

Don't rush your shots. As I recall, you have two minutes for each group of five shots, i.e. five targets. DON'T RUSH. Take your shot, lower the rifle, regain your mindset, take a deep breath or two, and then build your position and shoot again. Practice taking five shots in two minutes while dryfiring.

Pow. Clink. Thunk.

It's fun!

Thanks for the tips fellas!

I used to shoot NRA smallbore when I was a teenager. I know that the offhand position can be very humbling and that was using a cuff sling. I am gonna go out sunday and put targets up at the different ranges and see if I can land some hits. Until then back to dry firing.

+1 on all that's been said. I started shooting a local match last year. Only got to shoot three matches so far (they stop for deer season). It's a blast and more difficult than meets the eye. I shot a 26, 28, 33, and 29 so far. Two minutes to shoot the five targets is a ton of time... I forget to rest between shots.

DON'T focus on your crosshairs, focus on a spot on the target, pre-load your trigger until the dot or whatever you are using on your reticle hits that spot on the target and then break your shot. Don't worry about natural point of aim because you don't want to use that as your basis of where you are shooting. You want to make your natural point of aim about two clock hour positions to the right of your target and then you pre-load your body back onto the target you are shooting. This allows your body to twist up and give you support in your muscle tension. Pre-loading the trigger and follow-through are going to be two of your biggest assets for your first SB silhouette match. If you can spot your hits you are miles ahead of most people on the line with you. Do whatever is comfortable for you as far as mounting and dismounting of the rifle in between shots. Some guys like Chad Winstead keep their rifle mounted for the whole five shots and just flick the bolt open and closed, other people like Dave Imas take approximately 20 seconds on each target, sometimes less and rest between shots. Your come-ups should be pretty close to 0 for chickens, +2 for pigs, +4 for turks and +8 for rams but you should check those on your own. Last but not least pull STRAIGHT back on that trigger shoe, any lateral movement can cause you problems.
isaac
P.S. Get the highest rings you can find for your scope, you want your head, neck and back as close to lined up as possible, if you are dropping your head way down onto the stock you are causing a natural imbalance.

+1 on shooting slowly. I used to compete in smallbore silhouettes with a bolt action single shot rifle. Dismounted the rifle to reload each shot. I think it really helped, forcing me to reset myself mentally and physically for each shot. Never had an issue with time: 2 minutes is a surprisingly long time to make 5 shots.

And +1 on getting tall scope rings. I used the "see-through" rings from Weaver.

Turkeys are EVIL.

I went to the range this week and shot Silhoutte for the first time....I'm hooked. Immediately ordered some targets.

Hmm, didn't realize there was a match. There is also a match on Sat. at Magic City. Maybe so.

Set up is around 12:00 with a practice session that runs until the match starts at 2:00. It's a pretty new match and they have a lot of fun shooting it too.

I hit 26 out of 40. Definetly a humbling experience. We had an hour to set up and shoot sighters. The bad news is the wolf MT that I ordered still hasn't arrived so the next best ammo I had was remington subsonic. I have no room to use this as an excuse though. There is nothing better than breaking that shot and hearing *PING*

I have never tried Silhoutte shooting but it sounds very interesting. (and I just learned of some matches less than an hour away)

Are there restrictions on rifle weight?
Trigger pull?
Are stands allowed to support the rifle between shots?
What scope magnification is suggested?

Thanks!

Here's the general rules:

http://www.steelchickens.com/downloads/rulesoverview.htm

NRA sanctioned silhouette matches will be split into Hunter and Standard divisions. The basic difference is that the Hunter rifle must look more or less like a traditional hunting rifle and is limited to a maximum of 8.5 pounds and a minimum of 2 pound trigger. The Standard class rifle need not look like a hunting rifle and is allowed to weigh up to 10 pounds 2 ounces.

I use a CZ453 with a 24x weaver scope. Seems to work. I've seen several 36x scopes, but that is a bit much IMO. A rifle that qualifies in the hunter class may be used in both classes.

Thanks for the link palma.

My preferred rifle will not qualify as legal equipment.

(I guess I was hoping for an open class with shooting coats, and 15# rifles with 2.5 ounce triggers, palm rests and adjustable stocks!)

I will need to purchase a new rifle or try to compete with my 10/22T.
Still sounds like fun!