• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

silly/ stupid but maybe possible summer project 1903a3 / a4 -22

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
maybe it's the sinus medicine, southern comfort, and cabin fever talking, but here goes...

last year i had a bug to buy a 1903a3 or 4 just for plinking with surplus ammo, then though plinking with a .3006 gets old on the aging shoulder, so went with a more modern rifle build instead.

then seen a few pictures of Frank Green's 1903 m22 builds and it fired me up again. but my pocket book will not allow it, though it looks like his builds are worth every penny.

so thinking of previously putting .22's in airsoft stocks got me thinking, why not drop a modern .22 in a 1903 stock (wood or syn), dress it with the parts kit furniture w/ trigger guard BM and 1903a3 sights and call it a day?

maybe pickup one of those non operational jazzed receivers or a drill-parade rifle, and possibly open up the inside of the action, slide in a savage mkii barrelled receiver into it (like using the a3 receiver as a sort of slipcover). not having an 03, i don't know if there would be enough room to fit. - side note - i wouldn't do that to a shootable 03a3 receiver.

if enough room for a 10 or 5 rnd mag, i'd keep it in like a blind mag system so it would have to be fed from the top (probably not enough room for an a4 scoped version) or if need be a single feed adapter. maybe if using one of those older rear cocking mech .22's, it should give it more of the a3 look.

thought of using a crickett or a rascal rifle, but the barrel length wouldn't clear the end of the stock...mkii f is 21" don't know if that'll clear either. marlin xt is 22", still don't know if that'll be long enough. maybe a makeshift bloop tube thingy on the end, to give it dimension of a3 length

if bought right, and doable, the whole thing should end up being under 400.00 including a walmart priced mkii / xt, having a look, feel, romance of a 03a3 maybe an a4, but eats .22lr.

silly stupid crazy enough to stop considering or something to explore?

i gotta stop self medicating!

Walk away from the Southern Comfort, and go get some real bourbon like Elijah Craig 12yr or Knob Creek... lol

Seriously, and interesting build concept. It will not be easy. I have an 03/A3 and the receiver is not so large as to just fit a 22 inside it without some serious alteration. If you bored out the outer receiver enough to fit, it could be done (maybe), mine is stored away too far for me to easily go and measure dimensions for you. What if you did something like replace the Springfield receiver and bbl with a custom 22 receiver and bbl. Boyds or others have replacement Springfield stocks. Of course such a plan would not match your stated budget goals.

Irish