• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Single shot for tactical match beginner?

Aegis

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2014
San Joaquin County
I have a Savage BVSS-S .22-250 that has been my go-to varmint gun for some time, but don't use much these days. Also have 6BR brass, bullets & precision dies from an old project. How big of a disadvantage is it for a newbie at tactical rifle to go single shot? I'm sure that I would upgrade if this was something that I decied to get into 100%, but the cheapest & soonest route to try long range rifle matches yard rifle by far would be for me to buy a $300 barrel in 6BRand go shoot.

Might add that as a varmint hunter getting rounds downrange in a hurry has been a priority and I'm not too bad at it even with a side feeder.

I run my single shot 6br at the local p.dog matches quite a bit. It was money out to 700 yards.
tried it a couple of times at some tactical matches just to see how it would run.I think
if your comfortable with single feeding, you won't be handicapped until it comes to
some stick stations. No Bueno for the technical positions.
Love the br so much I just got a Eliseo built so I can mag feed.

I just did my first match yesterday, hand-loading bullets that are too long for the factory magazine. I did OK, but I probably lost a place because I didn't finish the 2nd stage in time.

It's not the end of the world, you can be competitive, but it is a disadvantage compared to other shooters. If you're going that route ... practice, practice, practice. Then, practice some more. The timed stages will hurt you if you're not fast on the reload.

I'm old and lazy, so I'm looking for a DBM kit for my rifle. But don't be afraid to run what you've got!

Depends who you are competing against. ;)

A DBM is not for old, lazy people. It's for people who want to be competitive.

Rob, I find your replies fairly rude considering this its the STUPID markmanship forum. Are you interested in increasing participation in the sport or keeping out the riff-raff?

Rob, I find your replies fairly rude considering this its the STUPID markmanship forum. Are you interested in increasing participation in the sport or keeping out the riff-raff?

Not being rude. More jokingly but tough to read that sometimes. You should go out and shoot what you have at first but I am just trying to prepare you for what might be a frustrating time. It also depends on the match as some are slower pace with limited round counts and will work with a single shot but if you plan on being competitive in a real match then a DBM is required. People with 5 shot internal mags have problems.

Thanks for the info. I liked the single shot for varmint hunting fine as I could get loaded fairly quickly but do not have to unload an internal magazine when moving positions. I certainly understand why unloading an internal mag is an issue. Hate that. Big question is would it would stupid to show up for a tac match as a new shooter without DBM.

Please consider that if DBM is required it won't happen for a while.

No it wouldn't as you are still shooting. Go to a match and shoot it and see what you will need not just in gear but training as well.

I shot my first match with a 243 and Wyatt's DBM, but I only had 1 mag so after that it was single loading. Your single load speed changes greatly when you just ran 50 yds and your hunched over a down log trying to get a steady rest and the clock is running. We'll mine did at least, and not for the better.

I would suggest shooting your first match with what you have before equipping because you will have a much better idea of what your need and what you would like to have.

Ryan

Depends who you are competing against. ;)

I can verify that, especially after yesterday.

A DBM is not for old, lazy people. It's for people who want to be competitive.

I never said it was. Not even remotely. I was only referring to myself. Please don't imply I said otherwise.

Aegis;3187828How big of a disadvantage is it for a newbie at tactical rifle to go single shot?[/QUOTE said:
It's only going to be an issue if time is a factor in a stage. In the end, accuracy counts more than speed. It doesn't matter how quickly someone can miss a target. :) Practice shooting long distances in wind, and practice those single-shot reloads - you'll have a great time and might just surprise yourself.

In the last match I shot in my two good buddies drove west from Montana to shoot their first match with their hunting rifles: a 7mm mag and 6.5x.284 respectively. Neither had a DBM and the first day of the match plunger/ejector on my buddies rifle got a tiny piece of brass behind it and stuck down. He tried to repair it but ended up shooting the rest of the match single loading and using a finger to flick the spent brass off the bot face. He got pretty good at it, his brother was his shooting partner and before each stage they would lay everything out and he would hand him each new round as he worked the bolt. Despite neither of them having DBM's and 10 round mags they out shot me by a looooong ways and placed in the top 15 teams. Afterwards they admitted that DBM's are a huge competitive advantage, but they showed up, shot what they had, learned a bunch, and had a blast.

My only point is Rob1 is right, but you should still get out and shoot what you've got, it will be a great learning experience.

Cheers.

Big question is would it would stupid to show up for a tac match as a new shooter without DBM.

Nope, not stupid.

Expensive gear is nice and all, but it's not much use without the fundamentals. Focus on being a good shot, and save up for the gear you decide you need after your first match.

*edit* One thing I noticed yesterday was that about 80% of the field had suppressors. Someone always yelled out "Ears!" before shooters with non-suppressed rifles would shoot, almost as if ear protection wasn't all the necessary for those 80%.

Last edited:

I got it and didn't think he was coming off rude. He gave balanced forthright advise.

Op, my advise is to go and shoot a match. You'll learn some of the ins and outs of the match, meet some new friends and maybe even get to try out some of the other guys equipment. At this point in time it's mostly the feeling out stage anyway.

Robs comments are fine. You have to expect some jeering in the stupid questions forum. But honestly you will just be frustrated is the biggest thing. It's like shooting tactical pistol matches and your gun keeps jamming. Your stuck wasting time digging rounds out of your pockets while moving to a new area and trying to get into position at the same time. We do a drill at 500yds that's 5 shots on 5 small plates in 15sec. You would be lucky to get 2 shots off and even luckier to hit 2 shooting single shot. I ran a bdl holding 4rds for my first 2 matches. Couldn't stand losing to guys solely based on me not reloading my 10rds in the allotted time. Dbm is one of the first upgrades I'd do to any match rifle. Even before a caliber change.

I never said it was. Not even remotely. I was only referring to myself. Please don't imply I said otherwise.

It's only going to be an issue if time is a factor in a stage. In the end, accuracy counts more than speed. It doesn't matter how quickly someone can miss a target. :) Practice shooting long distances in wind, and practice those single-shot reloads - you'll have a great time and might just surprise yourself.

Sorry but that's the way I read it. You said you were old and lazy and getting a DBM as if if you were young and not lazy you would be fine without it. If not the intent then I am sorry.

And time is always a factor at matches. Maybe some locals it isn't but shoot any halfway decent match and you will be doing most everything on the clock and any time you can shave is time you are not having to fuss with your loading and getting better shots. My DBM story was back after I think it was the 2005 SH Cup and shooting movers with my 5 shot internal and then going to single loads and missing due to time. After the match I handed my rifle over to George for him to drive it back to GAP and to get one put in and been using them ever since.

No you shouldn't not shoot a match just because you don't have a DBM but after the first match you will see why they are used by every top competitor in the sport.

I would suggest shooting your first match with what you have before equipping because you will have a much better idea of what your need and what you would like to have.

Ryan

Good advice right there. Just get started!

I always thought the whole point of the "stupid marksmanship" section was to avoid the jeering that often comes with "stupid" questions.

As for the single shot question, some local monthly type matches might be ok for some courses. But would advise against going through the cost of rebarreling a single shot action to a "tactical" caliber to shoot in matches. That seems like a waste to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk