• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sitka layering systems

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm looking at getting some new clothes for PA winter whitetail deer season. It gets cold here, single digits. Does anyone have experience with the Sitka layering systems say vs Under Armour? I'm looking specifically at the Sitka merino wool base layer and the sitka traverse insulating layer all to be worn under some insulated bibs and Jacket

Check out KUIU as well: https://store.kuiu.com/ by the original founder of Sitka. I was turned on to KUIU by another 'Hide member and I've been very favorably impressed with the product quality and innovation.

I'd check out Kuiu as advised and also Kryptek.
They're both of very high quality as far as i know.
Only have hands on experience with Kryptek, and it's the only clothing i will buy for hunting after trying a few of they're products.
Kuiu is more lightweight, and possibly have slightly better 'breathing capacity.
Kryptek is heavier and more durable, the only thing i will put my finger on is they're hoods being too large for my taste, as they're designed so they can be used with helmets.

As for base layers, for cold weather I never use anything but wool. The advantage with Merino is only that it will not itch/irritate you're skin as some normal types of wool do to some people.
Any base layer of similar quality/density wool will pretty much work the same for insulation, what you may get with higher priced product is better stitching,seams and more durability. And well you get camouflaged base layers of wool if you pay a premium for it.

I'd never wear synthetics for cold weather base layers, but each to they're own.
Synthetics can possibly transfer moisture out of the base layer better in theory.
But then again if you get wet/moist synthetics will cool you're body down much more rapidly then wool.
Wools insulation capacity increases when it gets wet, and it will keep you warmer if you get wet it's as simple as that.

Living where i do i spend plenty of time outside in single digit temps, and having spent a lot of hours lying out in the cold and or wet stalking deer in open country. I've found nothing that keeps me as warm, dry, and comfortable as wool does.
Now i do wear wool socks like 60-70% of the year so i might be a bit biased.

I do probably have another approach then most people do though, having some steep mountain slopes to climb i generally just wear outer layers, ventilated as much as needed, and some very thin synthetic base layers, until I'm up where i intend to hunt.
Then I strip everything that sweat or moist off and change to wool base layers, wool or fleece insulating layers and insulated weatherproof outer layers.
It's certainly the most effective way of keeping warm if you do hunt from stands,blinds etc. Or you're fairly static like prone target shooting in cold weather.

+1 for Merino wool vs. synthetics...there's no comparison.
I work for a major sportswear mfg and spend a lot of time in labs and the outdoors testing fabrics and garments. Nothing beats Merino.
If Sitka is making a specific product that's intended to work with their other layers and you know that the Sitka fit works well for you, then get it.
Several companies are now making Merino/synthetic blends-unless it's in a sock, these are not worth the trouble.
For quality it's difficult to beat the brand Icebreaker. They're not cheap but they are built to last- they also come in several weights so the you can tailor your insulation to your metabolism & comfort level. Sierra Trading Post has a ton of last season's Icebreaker on sale now-they don't come in camo but you might save some $$ over the Sitka Gear by going this route. Icebreaker at Sierra Trading Post
Another benefit of Merino is that you can wear it for days and it won't stink- unlike synthetics.

How much exertion does your body do for your type of hunting? Does it work hard so you need to consider the micro climate of the body and controlling it or moderate to stand sitting where blood flow is slow and pure R value is needed in your system? Where even a slight breeze cuts like cold steel knife so windproof is mandatory to protect the R value?

Not Under Armour but a little with Stika. Its well designed kit. The fabrics they use like most everyone does a good job but designed more around active movement hunting. Its good kit but is pricey so if you can or want to afford it, you will be happy with it.

Do not over look ECWCS for performance and price as a base layer. Buy 4 or 5 for what one high dollar wool cost and it works just as well.

I understand this is pricey, any simple lightweight thin nylon wind break will do the same, but this is one piece that adds more warmth to a clothing system than any other single piece I had used for the weight worn over a base layer and under insulation. Plus, the nylon will allow the different layers to slide over each other, no friction so shouldering a rifle or drawing a bow, your arms and shoulders will have full freedom to move. The more layers you wear the higher the friction between then that limits freedom of body movement.
M's Pullover Windshirt

I do not prefer wool due to my experience with it but not doing that route again.

Last edited:
I have the whole Sitka system and love it, but I live in Wyoming and my style of hunting is completely different from yours. The layering system for here works great, I hike up and down mountains and experience extreme cold to warm all in the same day so I'm able to add or shed clothing as climate and my body dictates.

Sitka doe's make a clothing line specifically for eastern whitetail stand hunting, but it is not a cheap investment. The Whitetail Fanatic jacket and pants are very nice and would last you a life time. Do you really need to spend that much for stand hunting? that's up to you. Lots of options for layering to fit any budget to include Sitka, Kryptek, Kuiu, First Lite, Under Armour, Cabelas to name a few.

I have a lot of the Sitka clothing….So much that it's starting to irritate my wife. They offer a discount to Mil/LEO so that may or may not help you out. If you're only going to use the base layer I wouldn't worry to much about getting Sitka brand specifically. Many of the posts above list many top quality base layer manufacturers. I don't think you can go wrong with Merino wool from any of them. I would try to catch what you can on sale. If you're going to purchase outerwear then I think Sitka is worth it. I own their Stratus Bibs/Jacket in Optifade Forest which is their "whitetail/eastern" pattern. It will get you down into single digits if you have a good layering system which would include a puffy insulation piece. I purchased the Stratus series simply because I can layer heavy underneath or wear it alone up to about 55 if I'm still hunting. If you primarily do still hunting in cold weather I would go with the Fanatic Series if you can afford it.

Sitka sizing runs a little small if you ask me. I've heard KUIU stuff is great but their sizing options are weird. Availability for KUIU seems to be a little hit and miss also. They do however, offer some good sales from time to time. In conclusion, if you're only looking at base layers I would get Merino that you can find on sale.

All I wear is sitka, but I use other brands for cold weather conditions. There are so many cold weather products that can be worn under quality camo, but this is advise from a guy who lives in AZ and wears winter gear for maybe ten days in a year!

How do you order from that website? I see no way how

They are doing some repairs on their website at the moment. They are having their biggest sale ever this Friday, FYI and I assume trying to get shit in order for that. They've had problems on their website quite a bit.

If just after wool base layers, I like either First Lite or Smartwool for that. KUIU merino has had some bad reviews, and my brother sold a piece because of the stink when it got damp. No experience with Sitka.

KUIU's Smart Down is nice for an insulating layer. As is the First Lite puffy.

Sitka & Kuiu obth offer excellent systems, but they carry a premium price for keeping weight to a mininum. IMHO, there are plenty of more practical alternatives to keeping warm in the deer stand.
I've got a bunch of Sitka & Kuiu stuff for hunting out west & pretty much don't wear any of it for sitting stand for deer here in NY when it gets cold. Those high dollar systems are more suited for high activity level hunting, with lightweight layers designed for keeping you alive when miles from the truck. Completely different ballgame from humping a couple hundreds into the woods , or down the fencerow to wait out a whitetail...

If you want to stay warm on stand here in the NE, start with a quality insulating base layer. I have a 'onesy' from CD sportswear that is the friggin' BOMB for keeping warm on stand (google it). Layer a good fleece or 60gr Primaloft pullover over the onesy, and a decent Goretex shell as an outer layer to cut the wind/rain/snow and insulated bibs on the bottom. Walk in slowly, sans jacket & lid, climb in and bundle up, and you'll be nice & toasty for hours...
Don't forget a good 'mad bomber'/Stormy Kromer type hat and merino wool neck gaiter to keep that upper body heat from ecsaping. And of course, good wool socks and Thinsulate boots. Darn Tough makes badazz socks (google that, too)

I have a chest full of Sitka ranging from early season bow hunting to their cold weather gear and use it exclusively when hunting. I mostly hunt in NM and experience extreme variations in temperature throughout the day. We are generally on the move humping up and down the mountains and the gear works great for that but probably there are better options if sitting in a cold blind or tree stand for extended periods of time. Patagonia makes excellent base layers in different weights and have used their product for over 20 years. Wool makes a great base layer but my personal preference is synthetics.