• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sizing lube causing an issue

ggardiner8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2007
I normally lube and size my cases, then prime them, powder them, stick a bullet in and then tumble them. I know i should tumble after the lube and size to get the lube off, but the corn cob sticks in the primer holes etc... and i haven't had any issues in the past. This batch, i didn't have any problem creating them, but when i threw it in the tumbler, it seems like all the black gunk in the corn cob stuck to the lube and isn't coming off despite a few hours of tumbling. Never had an issue with this before. So far the only "easy" way to get the gunk off is to scratch it off with a finger nail. Any suggestions on an easier way to get this now black putty off? I tried using a but of the lube on a cloth, gun oil, and wd-40.

Re: sizing lube causing an issue

Sounds like you need to change out your media.

BTW I've never tumbled loaded rounds. Lube, resize, tumble, prime, etc.

Ultrasonic clean or Stainless steel rotary tumbler!

Its the way to go imo.

Only drawback is that you have to dry your cases but you usually offset this by planning case cleaning well ahead of the day you intent to reload.

No gunk left over, cases get cleaned inside to a high standard, and if you have a decapping die it means you can then run only clean cases thru your die sets for maximum die life and cleanliness
smile.gif

Besides that, try giving your cases a whipe down with some brasso.

I would not tumble loaded rounds .
Just clean your empty cases with the spent primer still in. Then decap and clean the primer pocket. To fix up the loaded rounds you could try a wipe over with a cloth with some White spirit on it. AKA Stoddard solvent ,White gas , Blazo , Naptha , Shellite , Lighter fluid , Coleman fuel. It evaportaes real quick so should not penertrate the round . Just dampen the rag with some.
You could also try liquid cleaning of "empty cases" . Use a solution of CLR in warm water say a cup of CLR to 10 cups of water. If that is not strong enough try less water or more CLR. Depends on how much brass you are cleaning.

DO NOT TUMBLE LOADED ROUNDS, what case lube are you using, I always recommend Imperial sizing wax, a little goes a long way, I swipe my finger accross it lightly and lube the neck then body, FL size and simply wipe the case clean with a rag, whatever is left is no big deal, try cleaning your screwed upcases with Acetone

Thanks for the info. I use the RCBS spray lube. I"m wondering if they changed the formula. It used to be in white stubby containers and i just started using the new stuff in the clear container.

The results i've seen with the Stainless steel media are awesome. When i started out i tumbled all my brass in a rotary rock tumbler. ( all i could afford at the time)

"a cloth with some White spirit on it." that has danger written all over it ;-) I'll try that one outside and some Brasso.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I use the RCBS -2 with a lub pad. Goof Off will probably work. I bought some .45 bullets that had that stuff all over them. I had to use a small wire bush to scrape it off. And I wouldn't stick loaded rounds into a tumbler. I tumble right after I shoot. Then Lube, resize/deprime, clean flash hole, wipe down cases, then prime, etc.

what is wrong with tumbling loaded rounds?

I do not do it, but I do know several people who do it to get the sizing lube off the rounds to make them nice and clean before they go into the mags. Just wondering (sorry to hijack this thread with the question - may be pertinent).

Powder is pretty high tech stuff, especially these days. With all the specific cuts, formulas and (especially) coatings it is not a good idea to let all that tumble in a vibratory case tumbler for hours at a time.
I did hear that there was some 50 BMG surplus sold that had been tumbled after loading and some of it took guns apart. Didn't see it happen though.

The burn properties of the powder can be changed by altering the coating on the kernals. This can happen in a vibratory tumbler. Tumbling loaded rounds is, at best case scenario, not a good idea.

I tumble with Lyman treated corn cob, and yes, it sticks in the primer pockets/flash holes. Not too hard to pick and poke out with a skinny enough allen wrench as a picker/poker. One of the small prices I'm willing to pay to get my brass clean.

On aside, One Shot ain't a pain in the ass to remove with about 20 minutes of tumbling....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The burn properties of the powder can be changed by altering the coating on the kernals. This can happen in a vibratory tumbler. Tumbling loaded rounds is, at best case scenario, not a good idea.

I tumble with Lyman treated corn cob, and yes, it sticks in the primer pockets/flash holes. Not too hard to pick and poke out with a skinny enough allen wrench as a picker/poker. One of the small prices I'm willing to pay to get my brass clean.

On aside, One Shot ain't a pain in the ass to remove with about 20 minutes of tumbling.... </div></div>+ 1 on What He Said!!!

Isn't that what I said too?

Except IMHO, I would never use One Shot again. It was not a pleasant experience for me.
Imperial is THE only way to lube cases.

White spirit is not that dangerous for your health but it is flamable for sure.
Don't put brasso on your cases it contains Ammonia and that hardens brass and speeds up stress corrosion in brass. Ammonia is a copper dissolver and the case is copper and zinc.

DON'T TUMBLE LOADED AMMO!! I actually had a friend who had one go off! Craziest thing, and I wouldn't have believed it otherwise, but he had a .223 go off and it scared the living $#!t out of him.

I have to call bs on that one. Not to be rude, but between my friends and i we've probably tumbled close to 300k loaded rounds. No problems in a vibratory tumbler. Maybe in a cement mixer rotary tumbler...but im not buying it in a vibratory. Also theres been several tests showing that there is no appreciable powder breakdown

I just don't think it's a good idea to plan to tumble loaded rounds. If for some reason you have to clean loaded rounds then the vibrator type would be the best way to go.
I would not like all that weight slamming into my bullet meplats (tips) anyway .

dump bowl and clean the inside of bowl with alchol to get the black out

You DO NOT tumble loaded rounds PERIOD. You may just turn your case full of Varget into a case full of Bullseye!

One thing I've learned from others is to put small pieces of USED dryer fabric softener sheets in the tumbler. They collect a lot of dirt/grime. I cut each sheet into 8 pieces.

Corn cob is for polishing, walnut is for cleaning. Tumble them for an hour after they are sized and trimmed as well as before. I know it doesn't help your immediate
problem ( a wipe down with alcohol will though) but prep your brass when you
bring it home or have enough to make it worthwhile. Your head will be a lot clearer
and your back a lot fresher for the important part of the reloading, adding primer
and powder.