• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sizing Vibram FiveFingers

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
Anyone have enough experience with the FiveFingers shoes to help me figure out what to order over the internet?

I have a wide foot that is just barely over 10.5" long.

At 10.5 they say go with size 41. At 10.75 they say go with size 42. I am like 10.55 - like I said with a wide foot.

What do you think? [And no, going and trying some on is not an option for me at present.)

Re: Sizing Vibram FiveFingers

And a followup... going with one of the sport models, does the texture and thickness of the sole defeat the purpose of strengthening legs, feet, etc, like walking/running "barefoot"?

E.g. KomodoSport vs KSO

I have a pair of the Komodo sport LS and have beat the shit out of them. I have ran up to 10 miles at a time in them. I would get the size that just fits because they stretch out a good ammount. I do have to say I would only get the LS models they can draw up tighter than the regular with the straps. Watch out on your distance at first even if you are an expericened runner. They will smoke your lower legs and feet. Aslo watch out running distance, I develpoed some serious bruises on my feet. I would keep the distance down around 3 miles (after plenty of time getting used to them) and alternate VFF with low drop running shoes to minimize damage to your feet. Just thought I would let you know.

I have 2 pair and sell them at Grey Group Training in Fayetteville. I have a pair of the Trek Sport and the Bikila.

Forget buying them by comparing a size 9 to the Euro sizing. You need to try them on. They vary from model to model. So a size 42 is not the same from a KSO to other models.

I would only buy them online if you know your exact size and model that fits you. They should fit snug to the point where your feet won't slide around in them. If they are too tight, your foot will bow up in the arch and not rest completely on the ground.

If you can put your foot in the shoe and THEN arrange the toes into the right toes on the shoe, then they are too big. You fit the shoe with your longest toe. Not all of your toes will go all the way into each of the toes of the shoe. You big toe may not be the longest toe. If you have web'd feet, you can't wear them. I have seen that happen.

My running speech for people, if you are planning on running in them, start with short runs. Not miles, but short runs. You have to run on the ball of your feet. Since there is no padding in the 5 fingers you have to use your entire leg as a shock absorber. Pain will stop you if you are doing a heel to toe stride.

Get a pair and just bum around them for a week or so. To me they are just like walking barefoot.

I have enjoyed mine. Hope this helps.

Definitely with Cut on this one. You have to try them on. Find a place that carries them, and try them. If you dont like the price, no worries, you know your size now lol, and order them online. Smartest thing to do would be to wait until you can get ahold of them and try them. BUT if you need them now lol, Id say 42 or 43. I wear a 10 and am quite comfortable in the 41 in most of the vibrams.

I will say that I have worn a few different styles and I have found that the running vs the hiking vs the lace ones etc all will fit a little bit different.

Err on the side of a little big, because if they are too tight between the toes you will not be able to wear them comfortably. You may not have webbed feet, but sometimes one foot or the other may have a bit less or more meat there lol.

If you are getting them....Try REI....

I had a pair of the Kangaroo leather and they did not give near as much as the sport versions. The other issue with the leather is when they become wet.

Go to REI and try them on. You'll want them to fit on the snug side because they do stretch. Pay particular attention to how ALL of your toes fit. To get mine to fit right, I had to go with a tight sizing and then after about three days, they fit PERFECT. I also have wider feet but had no problem in that area. The Komodo Sports fit me well, but other styles in the same size don't fit me at all. So, I would suggest trying on a couple different styles until you find the right one. Its worth it though, I can hardly get myself for wear "normal" shoes now. Love em.