• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SK Long Range ammo range report

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I got a brick of SK Long Range this week. I fired it 3 of my rimfire, Kidd Supergrade, Tikka Tix, and CZ 455 Varmint. At 50 yds. the Kidd agg. 0.360, the Tikka agg. 0.410" and the CZ 455 agg. 0.408" Due the the wind a had a few 4 in and 1 out of the groups.
At 150 yds all gun shot with very little vertical, but i did have some horizontal do to the wind.

Kidd at 150 yds. 2- 5 shot groups around 1"

2n1aqhh.jpg

27y7u2x.jpg

Tikka 150 yds. around 1.5"
akcpr6.jpg

CZ 455 at 150yds 2 - 5 shot groups less than 0.5" high 1.5" wide
29nieip.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: demolitionman
What's the Lot # on that brick of SK?

I have a 200 yds steel match in 3 weeks I am going to try SK LR, and Wolf Match Extra. . The lot of Wolf ME shoots better at 50 yds and the same at 150yds. My TiX shot a 5 shot 0.56" group at 150yds with the Wolf ME and sub 0.2" at 50yds. I will shoot SK LR in my Kidd and Wolf ME in the Tikka.

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: t8500shx and Sieg
Did you get any velocitys from this ammo? Or what is the difference in a known ammo and this for drop @ 150 yds?

Did you get any velocitys from this ammo? Or what is the difference in a known ammo and this for drop @ 150 yds?

Today, I fired off 50 rounds over my MagnetoSpeed V3 (not attached to the barrel - which is an 18" Shaw Match SS barrel) and got 10 round groups from 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yds. For the 50 shot fired the SD was 8.8 with an ES of 39 fps; the high being 1150 fps and a low of 1111 fps. and the average was 1128 fps. I found a place that showed the published MV to be 1106, but I'm not confident that is accurate as SK's website said they're still testing for that. My Shaw barrel tend to have substantially higher MV's than what's published. Those chrono number are the best of all the various SK ammo I've fired. . . and are almost as good as one of my favorites. . . Center-X.

BTW: Weather was 74°F, Humidity at 23%, Altitude 1668 ft, Wind from 5 o'clock @ 2 to 8 mph

Hope that all give you some ideas.

PS: There's a difference in lube between SK Long Range Match and SK Rifle Match in that Long Range has a very greasy lube and Rifle Match's lube is waxy. That difference seems to contribute to the difference in MV. Rifle Match MV's were at 100 fps less for me than Long Range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rover31
SK Long Range is approx.50fps faster than SK Rifle Match. It supposedly uses the SK RM bullet with Lapua Biathlon charge.
A friend was doing lot testing in Germany Schonbeck facility few weeks agoon some Walther and Anschutz BR50 guns but he also tested his Anschutz 64 with SK LR. Will ask him to post test pictures...

No, I did not. I just wanting to see what the vertical would be with this ammo. It is 1 to 1.5 moa flater than some SV ammo I shoot at 150yds..

Mark

I got to test some SK Long Range for the first time last night in my Vudoo, 22" Bartlien barrel. 60 degree temperature, 69 percent humidity .
Fired 2 groups of 10 at 55 yards, both groups were one big hole, both under 1/2inch outside to outside. Used Magneto V3 with MPA holder. I clear the v3 after each 10 shot string.
First group was avg 1100fps, es 21, high 1112, low 1091
2nd group was avg 1097, es 26, high 1113, low 1087
Set fresh painted steel plate at 103 yards, local range is short, fired 10 shot group that was basically a 1inchish spot when done, 10 shots avg 1097, es 24, high 1110, low 1086
Tomorrow going to get to stretch it out to 400.

I gotta know..….. what Lot# :sneaky:

I got to test some SK Long Range for the first time last night in my Vudoo, 22" Bartlien barrel. 60 degree temperature, 69 percent humidity .
Fired 2 groups of 10 at 55 yards, both groups were one big hole, both under 1/2inch outside to outside. Used Magneto V3 with MPA holder. I clear the v3 after each 10 shot string.
First group was avg 1100fps, es 21, high 1112, low 1091
2nd group was avg 1097, es 26, high 1113, low 1087
Set fresh painted steel plate at 103 yards, local range is short, fired 10 shot group that was basically a 1inchish spot when done, 10 shots avg 1097, es 24, high 1110, low 1086
Tomorrow going to get to stretch it out to 400.

Interesting to me that you're average velocity is 30 fps slower. My 10 round average ES's are virtually the same. Not enough difference in ambient temperature to effect any noticeable difference in velocity. The additional 4" of barrel you have over mine I'm pretty sure is where that difference lies.

Last edited:
I fired off 50 rounds over my MagnetoSpeed V3 (not attached to the barrel - which is an 18" Shaw Match SS barrel) and got 10 round groups from 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yds. For the 50 shot fired the SD was 8.8 with an ES of 39 fps; the high being 1150 fps and a low of 1111 fps. and the average was 1128 fps. I found a place that showed the published MV to be 1106, but I'm not confident that is accurate as SK's website said they're still testing for that. My Shaw barrel tend to have substantially higher MV's than what's published. Those chrono number are the best of all the various SK ammo I've fired.

I saw this pic that shows some data and it looks official, but it's not one I got from SK's website:

Ive shot about 75rds of one lot of LR. It is pretty consistently .7 or .8" @ 100yds. Center X, Standard plus, and Flatnose Basic seem to do better in my rifle. Maybe it's just the lot.
I had two boxes in different lots of Rifle Match that wouldn't beat the lot of CCI SV I have...… then I found the OMG lot of Rifle Match.

I"ve heard similar of Long Range lots...... Being a sub-brand has it's limitations.

Seems to me SK should have tried a little harder??? By making a heavier higher BC bullet going faster. This LR ammo doesn't offer hardly any difference - long range, ha.

Seems to me SK should have tried a little harder??? By making a heavier higher BC bullet going faster. This LR ammo doesn't offer hardly any difference - long range, ha.

does anyone know why Eley is the only one with a "match" 42gr bullet in their Force and Contact lines? And yes I'm using "match" lightly here because its not bulk, but it also isn't top of the line stuff.

like you said, i think SK could have had a home run with a recipe similar to Force or Contact

Steve,
I Don't know what SK did to this ammo to make it Long Range. But the problem with rimfire ammo is high ES, that leads to vertical in the group at long range. I did not check the speed in my testing, because it does not matter what the speed and ES is. Grouping is what matters. I my three guns, vertical was very good and what I was looking for. I test grouping first when check speed and ES last. If it does not group, there is no need to check anything. I think SK has done well with this ammo.

Mark

I Don't know what SK did to this ammo to make it Long Range.

Mark,

My guess is the only thing they did was make Rifle Match a bit faster. Rated velocity from SK:

Range( in yards)/Long Range Match/Rifle Match/FPS increase
0 / 1106 / 1073 / 33
2.5 / 1101 / 1069 / 32
10 / 1090 / 1059 / 31
50 / 1033 / 1006 / 27
100 / 968 / 944 / 24

does anyone know why Eley is the only one with a "match" 42gr bullet in their Force and Contact lines? And yes I'm using "match" lightly here because its not bulk, but it also isn't top of the line stuff.

like you said, i think SK could have had a home run with a recipe similar to Force or Contact
Probably because the standard 1:16 twist isn't going to work well with heavier pills. And when I say heavier, I mean more than the 45gr that CCI loads their Quiet ammo with.

Yes I look for the same thing, low ES but mostly group size at distance. I found a great lot of Lapua PB years ago that goes the same speed as this SKLR and is very accurate.

I still think they could have - should have, brought out something more appropriate to it's name.

Let's say both these examples have the same ES and are the same accuracy. Going to JBM and putting numbers in for a 10 mph FV wind at 200Y. I got 11.1 inches of drift for a .17 G1 BC bullet at 1100fps (theoretical - 45 grain??) vs 13.6 inches for a .135 G1 BC 40 grain at 1100 fps. It's 2.5", that drift difference is significant if shooting at a 4" plate at 200Y!! I know which example I'd choose!

I tried Eley force in the calculation, why the calculation didn't make sense I don't understand??? It shows more windage, not less - 14.9" with a .15BC ??? I put the same numbers in SHOOTER app and it shows more windage too. Why???

I’ve tried to different boxes of SK Long Range at 100yrds groups were over a inch not good.
Vudoo 20 inch barrel.

I found a lot that shoots good compared to a couple previous.

This was a match last week at 200yds. I was shooting over my flags and got tricked by swirling gusts on the 4 high right shots. Measured group is 6 rounds. Early 18" Ace barrel.
20190430_125650.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 200 yds steel match in 3 weeks I am going to try SK LR, and Wolf Match Extra. . The lot of Wolf ME shoots better at 50 yds and the same at 150yds. My TiX shot a 5 shot 0.56" group at 150yds with the Wolf ME and sub 0.2" at 50yds. I will shoot SK LR in my Kidd and Wolf ME in the Tikka.

Mark

Finely got to my 200yds silhouette Rimfire match to test SK LR ammo. Starting out with to chicken at 80 yds. center punched the first one, then the next was 1" over the top, "don't know where that came from" got the rest 9 out of 10. cleaned the pigs at 120yds 10/10. The turkeys cleaned me at 166yds. I was good on elevation but the wind got me on 4. 6/10. I cleaned the Rams at 200 yds for the first time. 10 for 10. I shot 35/40, top scope was 37/40. The SK LR is working for me. I shot some groups after the match. The wind picked, but groups still running 2" or less.

Mark

Tried a couple of boxes of SKLRM.
My experience? If it has the word "Match" on the label, it's not.
At 200 yards the ES matched the vertical spread.
44 fps for one box, 80 fps for the other.
Just another SK product with the same variations in quality.
One batch will do well, the next won't.
Typical mid grade 22 lr.

Reactions: 10ring1