• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SK Plus accuracy in two different rifles is wildly different

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I bought a couple lots of SK Plus Standard. I'd heard good things about it as decent and cheap ammo. I shot it in my 40X and was very pleased with the results. It was laying down basically 1" groups at 100 yards. Not quite as consistent as my lot-tested Eley Edge, but pretty damn good for $5 a box.

Took it out yesterday in my Nordic upper. Typically, the Nordic (.22 LR AR-15 dedicated upper) shoots most ammo well. With it's favorite lot of Edge or Target, it's also a 1" gun. When I tried the SK in it, I was getting groups hovering around 7". Not 0.7". I could barely keep them all on a 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper.

I don't even have a question, I guess, I just found it to be a marvel. I kept the target as a souvenir for the worst groups I've ever shot with a .22. :)

I bought a couple lots of SK Plus Standard. I'd heard good things about it as decent and cheap ammo. I shot it in my 40X and was very pleased with the results. It was laying down basically 1" groups at 100 yards. Not quite as consistent as my lot-tested Eley Edge, but pretty damn good for $5 a box.

Took it out yesterday in my Nordic upper. Typically, the Nordic (.22 LR AR-15 dedicated upper) shoots most ammo well. With it's favorite lot of Edge or Target, it's also a 1" gun. When I tried the SK in it, I was getting groups hovering around 7". Not 0.7". I could barely keep them all on a 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper.

I don't even have a question, I guess, I just found it to be a marvel. I kept the target as a souvenir for the worst groups I've ever shot with a .22. :)

A 7 inch group is very atypical for SK ammo and also out of character for a Nordic upper.

I have shot 20+ different lot #'s of SK over the past 6 years though CZ's, Annies, and Win 52's. It is a pretty consistent ammo for the price point and I've never had anything group worse than 1.75in at 100yds. I also have two Nordic uppers and have run a few different lot#'s through the Nordics on occasion getting ~ 0.75inches at 50yds; not too bad, not too great.

Out of curiosity, what was the last ammo you put through the Nordic and when did you clean it last? Did you notice any lead shavings in the chamber afterwards?

Very odd.

Have you tried SK Pistol Match? I think it only costs about $1 more a box than the Standard Plus. One of my rifles shoots better with that than the SK Rifle Match. Amazing how these .22s are so ammo picky.

A 7 inch group is very atypical for SK ammo and also out of character for a Nordic upper.

I have shot 20+ different lot #'s of SK over the past 6 years though CZ's, Annies, and Win 52's. It is a pretty consistent ammo for the price point and I've never had anything group worse than 1.75in at 100yds. I also have two Nordic uppers and have run a few different lot#'s through the Nordics on occasion getting ~ 0.75inches at 50yds; not too bad, not too great.

Out of curiosity, what was the last ammo you put through the Nordic and when did you clean it last? Did you notice any lead shavings in the chamber afterwards?

Very odd.

I had just cleaned it. I haven't looked in it yet to see if it was shaving lead. I'll do that. I'll also chamber and eject a live round and try to see if the bullet is getting mashed somehow.

Reactions: bunsen27
My most memorable was with a Keystone Accuracy A2 upper. Apparently it does not care for Eley Pistol Match because it shot probably a 5" pattern at 100.

I find SK lot sensitive, like a few 10ths at 50 yards but 7 inches at 100. Yikes. After many, many bricks of various SK, nothing in the 7 inch solar system

I'm another SK Std+/Wolf Match Target fan - not what I shoot matches with, but beats any domestic std vel ammo I've tried. Was down on the 200yd firing line on my range last spring with Stiller 2500XR & 40X repeaters, and had brought along a 22RF AR-15 I put together with a CLE-supplied Douglas SS match bbl & modified M261 adaptor. Had already shot the bolt guns with Lapua Center-X & SK Rifle Match, so grabbed the 22RF AR, along with a couple of orphan lot samples of SK Std+. The 1st lot I shot produced a 10-shot group on an 8" gong that was actually a little better than the best I'd been able to shoot with either of the bolt guns & Center-X. Reloaded the mag with the next lot of Std+, and couldn't keep all the shots on steel. I'd had these lot test samples for quite some time, and was certain there'd be no more of that good lot available, or I'd have been on the phone trying to buy a couple of cases of it.

I looked at it again yesterday. I chambered a round and noted a significant dent in the nose of the bullet. Then I chambered a round of ammo that shoots well in the gun. Same dent, same place, but maybe half as big.

Maybe that's the explanation.

Reactions: bunsen27
Hmm, yea, .22lr's are picky. My Kimber loves Laupa center X, the Annie is very mediocre with it. For what it is worth I have never had a rifle that really liked SK / Wolf enough to make it a compelling accuracy/price combination. Apparently folks do but I have never had one that shot appreciably better with that than with the much cheaper CCI or Aguila alternatives.

What can I say? This is why folks lot test and buy lifetime supplies of a single lot in their .22lr rifles. I certainly do see some consistency within specific lines of ammo lot to lot with a rifle but predicting before hand if a rifle will like a specific ammo based on the ammo's price or general reputation is not a winning proposition.

I wonder if it is a headspace issue from the ammo. It’s not a bolt gun with feel/feedback on bolt close. Could the driving band be hanging up and holding the bolt off at varying headspace?

Just spitballing. I have had a Nordic for about six years and have been disgusted with it regarding accuracy and stoppages. I was recently suggested to replace the factory Nordic extractor with an aftermarket. For what $12 my gun now doesn’t jam with a round between the left receiver wall and the chambering round. That really sucks when you’re slung up prone with a service rifle jacket and shooting mitt.

I haven’t fully tested out accuracy but gone are the 4” flyers. I am now solidly sub two moa with cheap stuff.

Back when the gun was new Nordic told me if I wanted accuracy I should be placing rounds in the chamber by hand. :-/

Different rifle, cz452 varmint. Not the best CZ shooter anyhow, just an ok shooter, but it shot sk pistol worse than pretty much everything. The gun likes HV ammo though. Not what I wanted to find out.