• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Skim bedding a B&C Medalist

cvuxton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2008
Warrenton, VA
I have an IBA 1000 stock that is basically a Medalist. Would it be worth drilling out the aluminum bedding block to put in pillars before skim bedding it?

Re: Skim bedding a B&C Medalist

No, leave the original OEM pillars in place, just skim bed it.

The aluminum block is perfectly good.. don't even think about drilling a hole through it... Just stick with skim bedding it. I recently did it with my B&C and it turned out great.

IMG_2410.jpg

What did you use in place to keep the holes clear of compound?

Buy a couple of 1/4x28 bolts about 2 or 3 inches long, cut the heads off and deburr the cut. Screw them into your action and mark where they meet the action. Wrap electrical tape around the screws at this point until the OD of the tape wrap matches the ID of the hole in the block. Use these as guides when dropping your action into the stock when bedding. The wrap of tape prevents the material from oozing into the holes.

im doing my HS soon and it has an aluminum block as well. did you guys drill holes in the aluminum to allow a better mechanical lock with the epoxy? ive seen guys dimple that whole area and i was just curious how far people are taking it

Ax,
My HS is on the bench for bedding right now. I ground out about 1/8" of the block behind the lug. I roughed up the block and did drill several small dimples in the block for a good lock. I will post some pics of the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a couple of 1/4x28 bolts about 2 or 3 inches long, cut the heads off and deburr the cut. Screw them into your action and mark where they meet the action. Wrap electrical tape around the screws at this point until the OD of the tape wrap matches the ID of the hole in the block. Use these as guides when dropping your action into the stock when bedding. The wrap of tape prevents the material from oozing into the holes. </div></div>

Thats exactly how I did it.

Awesome, def. going to tackle this once I get home from this deployment, might bed the Savage .22lr Mark II for practice first. Thanks