• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Skull Monkey Gear Ammo Pouch & Molly Stix Review

marksmatter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
ATL
I like my Skull Monkey Gear shooting mat a lot, and while browsing their Facebook page images, I noticed an ammo carrier that I thought would be perfect for my needs. To date, I’ve carried my ammo in one of those 50 round green plastic boxes with the snap lid. I can’t stand the rattling of the rounds in there and had been keeping an eye out for something better. I chose the pouch in digital woodland and three 20 rounds ammo cards in coyote tan to match my mat.

pouchx.jpg

I called and placed my order late on Friday, and once again the package showed-up via Priority Mail on Wednesday. My cost was $35 for the pouch, and $22 for each Ammo Holder Card (ACH). Shipping was $5 via Priority Mail.

I was excited to get this pouch and the ACH’s. First glance showed great quality and attention to detail. Like everything else I’ve received from them, the pouch and ACH’s are made from 1000 denier Cordura. The pouch is smooth and plain on the exterior with the exception of the rear where the PALS and SMG tab are located. The bottom of the pouch has a standard black metal drain grommet. As with my mat, double and reinforced stitching abound, and I don’t foresee any longevity issues.

pouch2.jpg

The pouch measures 8”H x 4”W x 3”D and has a YKK zipper with two sliders. I’ll probably add a short length of paracord to each slider just because I like that. When closed, the zipper is nicely covered by flaps on either side. As with any YKK product I’ve used, opening and closing is easy and smooth.
The ACH’s are also made of 1000 denier Cordura with 2” wide elastic and paracord handles at the top. They fit my 7m-08 rounds just fine.

While I really like the pouch and ammo card holders, they are exactly what I expected them to be – high quality materials, well made, and 100% functional. What impressed me most about this little package, however, was the new PALS attachment method – Molly Stix (and yes, it is Molly, not MOLLE, and Stix is used for both singular and plural).

pouch8.jpg

It used to be a pet peeve of mine when pouches, etc. did not come with the traditional “Natick snaps” (or similar)on them, forcing me to buy another component before I could use it. In the past, I’ve bought Blackhawk STRIKE speedclips or Tactical Tailor MALICE clips – sometimes after the fact because I missed that no attachment method came with the pouch.

Cris from SMG had told me about the Molly Stix when I placed my order. I’d never heard of them before but Cris has not let me down yet. Since they were included in the cost of the pouch, I decided not to order any ‘backup’ clips from BH or TT. Sold separately, I believe they sell for $3 apiece. I believe SMG has them in black right now with coyote coming soon.

Molly Stix are made from polymer by National Molding and are part of their Duraflex line. After I played around with them a little, I realized how slick they really were. They are very rigid and thread between the PALS webbing easily with no snagging. Pressing the snap at the top locks the Molly Stix in place. The snap is firm with good positive feedback. Once locked, two small sharp points are driven against the webbing – it’s not going anywhere at that point.

pouch3.jpg

Although Molly Stix are designed to fulfill the same function as many others, where they really differ and excel is when any sort of quick release function is desired. To open, simply unsnap the tab at the top using the supplied cord or your fingers. The Molly Stix will then slide right out of the PALS webbing. According to National Molding, a pretty good idea is to tie the cords on the Molly Stix together. That way, with a single tug, both pieces unlock simultaneously and can be slid right out of the webbing leaving the pouch completely free. Made sense to me, so that’s what I did.

pouch4.jpg

pouch5.jpg

The speed and ease at which this is done is where they really differentiate themselves from the other products I’ve used in the past. Even the BH speedclips tend to snag when removing them.

pouch6.jpg

This seems like the perfect attachment method for something like my ACH pouch, or a non-tear away medical pouch, etc. They may also be perfect for gear where there’s a need to quickly reconfigure depending upon the situation or use. Once I convert my shooting pack to something with PALS (currently using an old IIFS combat patrol pack), this ACH pouch and my GSW trauma kit will reside on the outside. They’ll both be secured with Molly Stix. They are simple, strong, and just plain better than anything else I’ve seen – especially for anything where a rapid release is desired.

Re: Skull Monkey Gear Ammo Pouch & Molly Stix Review

You know, that ammo carrier looks exactly like the gear that Stu at redtac gear has been making for a long time.

Here's a link to his stuff for a comparison.
http://www.redtacgear.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13

I'm just curious, did Skull Monkey change something to make them better? I can't tell by the pictures.

I have spoken to Cris @ Skull Monkey Gear about the copying of other gear makers products.
Just because there was no product label(I didn't have them for years) on the ammo cards and someone supposedly asked him to make some, he took it upon himself to farm them out for mass production.
This seems to be common practice for newer folks trying to make a name for themselves.

Gonna make some popcorn and sit back.

Stu @ Red Tac Gear

This is one of the few items I did not comparison shop for. I saw it on facebook and bought it. I'd already waded through a ton of crap online looking for something similar without finding what I wanted.

If there is a fight here, I don't really have a dog in it, so I'll leave you guys to whatever it is that's happening here.

Is your riend still making the pouches? the link doesnt work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedMan*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have spoken to Cris @ Skull Monkey Gear about the copying of other gear makers products.
Just because there was no product label(I didn't have them for years) on the ammo cards and someone supposedly asked him to make some, he took it upon himself to farm them out for mass production.
This seems to be common practice for newer folks trying to make a name for themselves.

Gonna make some popcorn and sit back.

Stu @ Red Tac Gear </div></div>

krg648,
Nick @ Grand River was making them for a while.
I have not spoken to Nick since I got back from Peru so I honestly do not know the availability...sorry.

Stu

At this point I do have somethingto say. I am respecting the rules of the forum. Thats why I do not post on here. I have contacted lowlight several times about being a paid sponsor on here requesting a phone call, but at this point I haveoinly received pricing sheet twice. Now I am thinking why would I want to advertise on a site where everyone wants to throw sticks and stones at this point. It's funny everyone was talking trash about the short shooting mat. Isn't that the whole point of custom to get what you want! Not what others approve of!! I sill do some projects but I have a factory standing behind me. Maybe when it comes to production I have no issues regardless of the size of the order and would love to extend a group by to the board if I could ever get that far.

I support the shooting sports I have done it my whole adult life. I shot the industry masters this year and just donated a full vest system to the guys at NorCal/surefire shoot. If you think it's a knock off have lowlight take a look at it when he is out there, I have nothing to hide. By the way it was donated with 3 Red Tac ammo cards and I had Stu added to the sponsors list.

I was on the phone with Stu today trying to get shooting rests and ammo cards off of him. Its somethig I am trying to work with him on because I am a stand up guy As he said I was given an ammo card with no label and asked if I could make it. I did and as soon as he contacted me and told me it was his design I pulled production and have been trying to work with him. I don't need to copy other people's products, but there is only so many ways you can skin a cat. I am partnered with an armor company who will remain nameless and many of the pouches that people are saying I copy where on the LE market long before others where making them on here under another name. I decided to Taylor some products to the sport I love.

As far as the banned part I was banned and talked to lowlight about it. I had to make a major investment in a new product I mentioned having a couple on eBay in the original post. My mistake. I was warned that is fine. The next post I placed was a single question and a picture asking if anyone used the product. Nothing was for sale I had learned my lesson. I was still banned. I followed the rules of the site when I was banned. Now at this point I will be banned or maybe I can get someone to contact me about being a sponsor. I will not sit by while everyone gets worked up in a frenzy when they don't know what is going on in the background. I applaud Stu's integrity for not copying others work even it it isn't patented. I have a vest and gear similar to GRT. It in NO WAY is a copy my vest could not be sewn in a one man shop! Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't his site say LE military only? I will go out of my way to make friends not enemies because I don't need the money or the grief. This is a small community and this is my passion!!

I stand by my integrity and product. Good day to all.

The pouch is a direct copy.

pouchx.jpg

2012-09-13_17-07-58_751.jpg

The mag pouches are direct copies of Triads, and other stuff are direct copies of things that have been made before, specifically by RedTac and myself.

305033_393676550685457_1337472649_n.jpg

BradsVest001a.JPG

BradsVest018a.JPG

My vest is taken from our line of armor I just cut the front out. It will fit a waist from 32" to 42" in the same system. It has an integrated backpack system. It has 4 rows of Molle on waist. The front straps are unique in that its unlike any on the market with just a single triglide. It is padded. It is a vest yes. It is in direct competition with yours! Sounds like some people are worried about the new kid on the block and you should be. I do believe in competition driving better products to market. When a big company rips off my design that's life screw it I better step up my game.

Like I said we made that pouch long before anyone else, it just wasn't on the public market it was a version of a med pouch. Speaking of public market isn't yours only available to LE and Military. People been sewing nylon together for years so what you are saying is there shouldn't be like products on the market. I'm reasonable if you can add the adjustability to your vest making it a better product you have my blessing in front all of these people. My vest is unlike any on the market if you break it down! I could give 100 examples of most products got their start from some other products molle, camelbacks, pouches etc. let's just keep the business made in the USA. If someone chooses your product congrats for being the better man.

I wish the best of luck to anyone that is making a living at this line of work even if they don't like me and I appreciate all the efforts you put into Made in the USA. I will not apologize for bringing a similar product to market.