• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Skunk under shed

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
Hi, I have a Skunk under my shed and i want to live trap the bastard then shoot it. I have 2 traps and the question is, what is the best bait to use. I live out of town so i don't care about any cats i get. Dogs will be let go. What to use? Thanks.

Re: Skunk under shed

I've been in a similar situation with a skunk. Best advice I could give you is to get a water hose with a nozzle and flood him out. Seems they don't like getting sprayed with cold water. The skunk will run out and you can blast it with whatever you choose.

No money wasted on a trap you will most likely never use again.

Just crawl under the shed and engage in "hand to gland" combat!!

Good luck.

Skunks are omnivors so pretty much anything would work. can of tuna?? cat food.. All should work.

Remnar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been in a similar situation with a skunk. Best advice I could give you is to get a water hose with a nozzle and flood him out. Seems they don't like getting sprayed with cold water. The skunk will run out and you can blast it with whatever you choose.

No money wasted on a trap you will most likely never use again. </div></div>

This method works good if you can get to him ? Fer Sum reason they are like cats and don't really care to get hit with a water hose ....for safety precautions I would not Spray him in the ass First !

I once had a skunk as a pet. He loved ham. Try baiting the trap with ham.
When you catch him, cover the trap with dark cloth. This may keep him from spraying.
I caught one when I was a kid, and threw him trap and all in the creek to drown him. He sprayed underwater, and the fish went ballistic getting upstream. LMAO

I use a live trap, and some dry cat food. Gets em every time.
Use a 20 gu with bird shot (7 or 8) from about 10 feet, so you don't tear up the trap.
Then just shake it out into a plastic trash bag, and put it in the trash.

Small can of juicy cat food and toss in a couple XL marshmallows. Good combo! (Works great on coons too)

Just burn the shed down. That might work:)

Had one under the house last year! Never sprayed, but you'd get a definite "skunky" aroma at times. He'd gotten in at a ventilation cover that had come out of the foundation, so I sat a trap blocking the hole. That way if he was out he couldn't get back in, if he was in the only way to daylight was thru the trap.

After nearly TWO WEEKS he was in the trap when I came home for lunch one day. UUUuuhhhhh,, now what??? While eating lunch someone on an internet forum suggested covering the trap so it could not see me and it wouldn't spray. WORKED!!

Bob

I don't know if they work as I never tried them but I heard that Mothballs in the hole will keep them from comming back into the hole. Might be the best way without getting a lot of stink.

Skunk Dunk. Once trapped, cover trap if not already covered, dunk the whole trap in a trashcan full of water to drown it. No spray and no holes in the pelt.
Cat food or tuna and cut open a fish oil pill for some good scent

My roommate and I had a skunk that came up through a hole in the floor under the sink... It chewed its way through the wood to get to our garbage can, we had the bright idea of shooting it with the bow, so we rock, scissor, papered, loser had to open the cabinet door. That was me. Bobby launched, hit it, and it went to hell from there... Ended up using a 22 to finish it off, but lets just say we didn't eat in the house for a few days AND I think we slept at his parents that night.

His mom ended up cleaning it while we were at work, she just was really a nice lady, and got rid of the smell completely. To this day I have zero clue why our garbage can became the mecca go to garbage can. It was winter time in oregon, raining like hell too.

My point? Good luck, cause our method sucked ass.

All these methods of baiting and trapping sound great, but I haven't had one yet that didn't spray even after being shot. I gave one a payload of 12 ga. 4 buck last year right in the noggin. Anchored him right on the spot, and he was still so rank I 'bout couldn't throw him in the loader bucket without chummin'. Good luck.

the spray-proof trap is golden. However you can make one yourself, by slipping an old inner-tube over a live trap, if you are in a situation where you just can't shoot it in your yard, in place.
Yes, they do let loose when you shoot them, it's a sphincter relaxation thing. And yes it stinks up the yard for a few days. I
f you tie off the one end of the tube, it won't leak, even if he does spray when you lift the trap, and you can just lift the whole package up, and drop t into a 55 gallon drum full of water.
Mostly, when they can't really see you, they just hunker down, and wait, while you do your part.

I've used bleach soaked rags to get skunks to leave the space under my deck in the past. Once they're out, seal off any entry ways.

If you are going to trap, I suggest cat food as the bait. Cover most of the trap with a dark sheet or towel you don't mind throwing away. I have rigged the hav-a-hart traps where I might catch a skunk with long tie lines to be able to release a critter from a distance in case you can't kill the skunk then and there. The long lines also work well for dragging the trap around if you need a better backstop to shoot... they will spray if you start dragging though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trmorris21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mothballs work wonders - keeps away snakes as well. Good luck.</div></div>

you might make sure you are allowed to do that. Some states won't allow moth balls to be used outdoors. (not that you would probably be caught, but you never know.)

Being the scavengers that they are, ive trapped them using everything from fruit to canned cat food.

If you cover the trap completely with a blanket, it wont spray when you pick the trap up. I usually set the trap in our pond for a few minutes then dispose of the critter. Ive shot them in the head with great success as well. You have to get rid of the carcass quickly before everything relaxes and it starts to ooze badness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once had a skunk as a pet. He loved ham. Try baiting the trap with ham.
When you catch him, cover the trap with dark cloth. This may keep him from spraying.
I caught one when I was a kid, and threw him trap and all in the creek to drown him. He sprayed underwater, and the fish went ballistic getting upstream. LMAO </div></div>

"This MAY keep him from spraying".... now THAT instills confidence in the plan!

LMAO

Ive never had to live trap one. WE live on a farm so you can see them coming after a good rain. Not many have walked away from the 6.5 Creedmoor!

I trap possums all the time as they are a huge nuisance here. In the mornings I walk out to the cages and pop em in the head with a 22, they don't ever know what hit them.

They do make something called a "varmint bomb" you light it and it smokes green for about 3-5 minutes. To them its poison.... if they get a full breathe of it they come out gagging. If they stay in there with it, they die.

Place a tarp over the trap and run a hose from your car exhaust under the tarp. The skunk dies without spraying.. Used to do this to get skunks out of culverts. Block one end with gunnysacks full of hay and use another one to seal around the hose. After a few minutes, you could remove the plug from the end opposite the hose and the dead skunk would be laying there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rokbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohhhhh, this can't end well </div></div>

Shhhh! As long as he updates us it will be entertaining...

I had a family of skunks take up residence under the shed that I stored my motorcycle in, I sprayed them with a can of Curb 60 that followed me home to civilian life
wink.gif
. Little hypocrites REALLY don't like being sprayed and never came back.

OK, The trap is set and I used AppleButter, Peanut Butter, Dog food and Fish oil for bait. Hooked a 25' dog chain to the cage and covered the cage. So i'll let you know in the AM whats up. Thanks for all the help.

Had one living under are fucking house. Called the county trapper, this is what he told me.

Find the hole, cover it in such a way that it can only go straight into the trap. Use peanut butter and jelly, put the first few dabs outside the trap, eventually leading it into the back of the trap. Cover said trap with a garbage bag. Fill a barrel up with water. When you catch said skunk, cover up the opening, dunk in water. That way he cant spray you, and you dont ruin the trap.

Well there was NO skunk in the trap last nite, i'll leave it be and watch it fron afar. Stay tuned for more updates as they happen. Bye for now, i'll be back in 24

I've always caught them with a hand full of dry dog food. But almost anything will work. Hate them bastards!

Well strike 2, no skunk. I'm going to try Tuna and dog food tonight for a midnight dinner, going to have a block party.

My son has trapped quite a few skunks when they become troublesome here. He always uses a hard boiled egg w/o the shell for his bait.

Good Luck

I had a skunk family under my shed. Stuck my garden hose in there & turned on the water. They hauled ass out from under there real fast. They were pissed off. The went in my neighbors yard & sprayed their dog.

I filled the mall space with a cinder block so they could get back under. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been in a similar situation with a skunk. Best advice I could give you is to get a water hose with a nozzle and flood him out. Seems they don't like getting sprayed with cold water. The skunk will run out and you can blast it with whatever you choose.

No money wasted on a trap you will most likely never use again.</div></div>

^^ I think this guy gave really good information

I have visions of the skunk having left a day ago, now sitting on the hill overlooking your shed, with a cold beer and laughing his ass off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a skunk family under my shed. Stuck my garden hose in there & turned on the water. They hauled ass out from under there real fast. They were pissed off. The went in my neighbors yard & sprayed their dog. </div></div>

LMFAO That's damn funny!

Update, it's been raining hard Sat and Sun and no sign of Mr Skunk. I haven't seen any beer cans laying around. I'll just wait, I have all day, i'm retired. Stay tuned

Tuna, cat food or apples cut into quarters works pretty good. If you just want it to leave dump 2 or 3 boxes of moth balls under the shed. It will leave in a few days.

Just thinking a little, the shed is 24x36 and cant get under it. Might get some PVC pipe and blow some moth balls under it, only way to get them under there. Moth ball air soft gun, what ya think.

I have a skunk trap at the farm, it is made of a 2 1/2 ft. piece of well casing about 8in. diameter closed on one end with a sliding door at the other end. The trigger is near the closed end with wire hooks on a piece of stap steel that pulls a rod out of the sliding door when they take the bait. There are several 1/2 in. holes drilled along the top so you can look in and see if it is a skunk or cat. They can't get their ass up high enough to shoot or at least we have never had one shoot.
When you get one take it far from the house and pull the door up and back off. It usually takes a few minutes for them to back out then I blast them with a shotgun.
We use raw chicken for bait. It works well. Regards, FM

My trap is a lot like that one from Northern Tool only home made and old as the hills. It was on the farm 40 years ago when we moved there. Over the years we have caught at least a hundred of those stinkers. FM

Well i got my first Cat, very ugly cat, had me going till i pulled the cover off. Let it go to help keep the mice in check. Reset and waiting for the Skunk.

Try using a hen egg for bait. Skunks love them. Won't draw the house cats like tuna and no smell either. The last skunk we caught in our trap was with hen eggs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try using a hen egg for bait. Skunks love them. Won't draw the house cats like tuna and no smell either. The last skunk we caught in our trap was with hen eggs. </div></div>

Yeah Hen eggs work ok, but if you can get ahold of some Rooster Eggs those work the best

Had a few living under my dads house. We did it all and they kept coming back. Shot one in his garage and he was pissed ause it stank so bad. Caught one in the garbage can we covered it with a piece of plywood and stuck a garden hose in the exhaust then under the lid. That was the best way. Next we filled a garbage can 2/3's full with water then put those styrofoam packing peanuts on top. So that it would look solid then we floated a pie tin with canned salmon or tuna in it. This worked extremely well and would only take a day or two for each kill. The water was very stink though and had to be taken away to be dumped.

So it may not be the best, but it is the most effective. As long as you remember to lean something over the can to act as a ramp.

SKUNK is dead! Found it in the trap when i went out to check. Got the 20ga and ended him "one shot one kill". Glad i had a 25 foot dog chain hooked to the trap. Pulled the trap into a heavy duty bag and hauled him off to the dump. I put some moth balls under the shed and it smells better, hope it keeps them out. We don't have much of a problem around here with them. Thanks to all of you for all of your help, i did need it. It's been fun reading all of your posts.