• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Sleep system

Just recertified my Wiggys bag. We went out for the 2 nite caribou hunt. Slept in my friends enclosed trailer. It was about 20 deg F when we went to bed. About midnite it got cold enough that the propane Big Buddy shut itself down. When I woke up in the morning, my buddy was in the truck and it was 3 deg F. I was warm, my damp clothes had dried out in the foot of the bag and there was ice on the outside where my breath had exited the bag. All I was wearing was my Minus T33 merino base layer and a hat (to keep my nose warm).

2 weeks before we had been out chasing the caribou and ended up spending the night out without bags. It had been raining and we were sweated our from the climb to get to the herd. We pitched a poncho and covered the ground with spruce boughs we cut and threw another tarp over that. It hit 33deg F that nite. We didn’t sleep much and the caribou were gone when we woke up. Wish I’d had my bag!

thats real hunting (y)

Just recertified my Wiggys bag. We went out for the 2 nite caribou hunt. Slept in my friends enclosed trailer. It was about 20 deg F when we went to bed. About midnite it got cold enough that the propane Big Buddy shut itself down. When I woke up in the morning, my buddy was in the truck and it was 3 deg F. I was warm, my damp clothes had dried out in the foot of the bag and there was ice on the outside where my breath had exited the bag. All I was wearing was my Minus T33 merino base layer and a hat (to keep my nose warm).

2 weeks before we had been out chasing the caribou and ended up spending the night out without bags. It had been raining and we were sweated our from the climb to get to the herd. We pitched a poncho and covered the ground with spruce boughs we cut and threw another tarp over that. It hit 33deg F that nite. We didn’t sleep much and the caribou were gone when we woke up. Wish I’d had my bag!

Ive got the Wiggys double bag.

Its bulky but its warm.

Nice being able to scale up or down depending on the weather.

What I think I like best about it is the "drape".

The way it "layers" on the body is just comfortable to me and makes for a good nights sleep.

How well does ur wiggy bag compress down? I'm trying to keep compressed size below 5L I don't have a lot of space to spare unfortunately

I've got a couple different Mountain Hardwear bags (Phantom and Ghost) and usually use an insulated Big Agnes inflatable 2/3 length pad for a more backpacking friendly/comfortable setup. If an inflatable is going to be an issue then thermarest z's are good enough. Total volume is 2-3 liters with the inflatable and whatever bag I grab. If going stupid light is a priority lots of packs have a framesheet sleeve that you can put some sections of foam in/replace what's there with thicker foam or sections of a cut up thermarest z-lite. Put those bits of foam in between you and the pressure points on the ground and it's way better than nothing. Having to take apart some of your pack at night can be a PITA tho.

I have several Wiggys bags and they are incredibly warm but they pack about as well enough to fit in a sea bag.
IMO opinion the MSS is without equal and I slept OK in -30F without a tent on a foam pad.
The MSS bag with the Goretex bivvy can save your life and has saved my ass and many people i know.
Most of the high end bag insulation is the same stuff/different names.. Lamilite... Polarguard 3D...Climashield...all continuous fiber insulation..

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I would contact Marc either via PM on here or call Wiggys. +1 (866) 411-6465 Marc is awesome, he will probably ask you how you plan to use the system and then make a recommendation.

Reactions: AKMarty
How well does ur wiggy bag compress down? I'm trying to keep compressed size below 5L I don't have a lot of space to spare unfortunately

It’s a little heavy if your packing it. It will compress down pretty good even with the pillow included. I can get it to 10-12” tall and about 12” diameter. Gravity is on my side 😁

A decent thermal mat is a must.
I have a self inflating type. Money well spent.
Quality bivvy, sleeping bag, tent fly, and ground sheet.
Takes up very little space in my Bergen.
If you cannot rest properly, a few days on a hunting trip can become a nightmare.
Any idiot can be cold, wet, and miserable.
Better to be comfy.

Just an update.

I decided to go with a thermarest ridge rest cut about thigh length.
Sungpack bivy
T1 Treeline 32 Degree bag
Aqua Safari 10x7 Tarp.

Iv used this a few times so far and works very well and doesn't take a ton of space if packed right. I might add a hammock situation dependent since I am more of a side sleeper. But id recommend this setup.

Will upgrade to a sea to summit spark 0 or a wiggys if this move up north happens, appreciate the input gents.

For colder conditions, an insulated pad is important. I use a Neoair Xtherm. I personally use down bags, I have a Marmot Phase 20 that works for most conditions, but gets a bit cold around 20 degrees. I also have a Rab that is rated to -5. If weight is not an issue, you can get warmth cheaper with synthetic bags, they are bulkier as well though.

Reactions: Lazyninja
sounds like you may have found your solution already but ill throw in some more praise for the kifaru slick bag. I went from a MSS to a kifaru bag, thermarest xtherm pad and a snugpak scorpion 2 person tent and saved weight over the MSS and have a much more comfortable set up, im getting ready to upgrade again and get the kuiu 3 person tipi which will give me more room for even less weight.
im also looking to get another bag rated to 0 and im leaning towards the stone glacier Chilkoot this go around.

one other thing ill throw in is if you're using a tent that blocks the wind and external moisture I have had better luck omitting the bivy sack, it traps in moisture and compresses your top layer of loft, I heard John Barklow from sitka clothing say this so I tried it and have found it to be more comfortable when im using a tent. ymmv

Reactions: Lazyninja
Just an update.

I decided to go with a thermarest ridge rest cut about thigh length.
Sungpack bivy
T1 Treeline 32 Degree bag
Aqua Safari 10x7 Tarp.

Iv used this a few times so far and works very well and doesn't take a ton of space if packed right. I might add a hammock situation dependent since I am more of a side sleeper. But id recommend this setup.

Will upgrade to a sea to summit spark 0 or a wiggys if this move up north happens, appreciate the input gents
do you have a nice rifle? If so just get a western mountaineering, feathered friends, or Mont Bell sss.
if you take care of it it will las at least 10 years; Exped insulated sleeping mat, foam pad, tarp, cordage, stakes...
I Spent better than 600 nights living under a tarp in Utah/Nevada during all seasons over the course of 3 years) I froze my a$$ off a few -20 nights in a "decent" -20 synthetic bag, spent the money on a mont bell never looked back. Always carry the foam pad in case your inflatable craps out. if you're fatigued from lack of sleep good decision making and fun go out the window.

Last edited:
Go for comfort.👍
Any idiot can be cold.
Good, durable equipment may cost more, but will save your life if things go to shit.
Hope for the Best
Prepare for the Worst.

Carry a foam pad because the inflatable will not help you stay warm. Synthetics will help you stay warmer in the wet.

Reactions: Bakwa and Pbgt