• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slick front chest rigs

MJF

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 14, 2005
    N Idaho
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these ? My rig has built in mag pouches that collapse when you remove a mag. I hate that shit, it's like a monkey fuck to put a mag back in there. I'm looking at these chest rigs from ATS, Mayflower and Blueforce gear. I would like to use Esstac mag pouches, they worked great for me in the past. This will be used for defense of my family / home , neighborhood. At 58, i'm not getting deployed, I don't jump anymore and my knees are shot. I picked these due to their simplicity, light weight, configurability.

I like the idea of being able to open the front like an LBE. The one I have now opens but the mag pouches suck. While nice to have It is not a necessity though. I know these are not what you would use for dropping into a war zone, they should work for my intended use.

Mayflower1.jpg
    Mayflower.jpg
    mm-chestrig-6-mc-600x400.jpg
    ATS.jpeg

I’m a big fan of Haley strategic chest rigs. He has simple inserts for the pouches that provide retention for the mags and easy insertion.
    How hard have you ran one? Iv heard mixed reviews on them falling apart, zippers breaking, stitching just bad overall. I want one but Iv held off. Internet trolls or can you give me some first hand experience?

Reactions: MJF
    How hard have you ran one? Iv heard mixed reviews on them falling apart, zippers breaking, stitching just bad overall. I want one but Iv held off. Internet trolls or can you give me some first hand experience?
    I wouldn’t say I’ve run it hard. But I use mine. I have two set up in different ways. I haven’t had any issues with zippers or stitching. I’m not going downrange with mine. Just basic training and classes so I can’t attest to long term durability when put to the extremes.

Reactions: bohica17 and MJF
    Spiritus Mk5 is pretty slick, gives you the option to not have that second layer on the front if you don’t want. You can use the KYWI inserts in it too. I have this KYWI + velcro/solid wrap Link in mine and am very happy with it. Like it much mo better than the various elastic inserts.

Esstac has a good simple one, and I bet it’s cheaper than buying a panel and putting individual mag pouches on it Piggy link. I have had one and liked it. Only reason I still don’t is that I need to switch between 556 and AICS.

Might also consider some of the stuff G-Code has. Their rifle mag pouches are awesome…. I like them way better than Tacos. Can swap between AICS and 556 with no adjustments.

Maybe consider the Hill People Gear recon kit bag?

It's a chest pack with molle strapping on the front so you can add pouches for mags and other gear.

Chest rigs are certainly out of my area of expertise. But I was looking at this specific gear recently for hunting, and it could certainly work (and is designed to) for this role.

HPG Kit bags are solid.

More than anything, though, I say gear goes on a belt, not a chest rig if at all possible. Hips > shoulders.

Reactions: MJF and kthomas
    HPG Kit bags are solid.

More than anything, though, I say gear goes on a belt, not a chest rig if at all possible. Hips > shoulders.
    What type of belt would you recommend?

I'm sold on HPG in general. I have their belt because I have a Ute and it's the best belt and load bearing pack I've had... Which isn't an end-all-be-all, I'm far from a pack expert/snob, but I've tried some nice stuff and HPG is different and better IME. Their packs are another subject, but yet another way to get the weight off of your shoulders and onto your hips. 5 years of flak jackets and LBV's did my back no favors.

Reactions: kthomas
    What type of belt would you recommend?
    This is a modern version of the LBE by Mayflower. It has a belt and shoulder straps. It is modular.
    jungle-kit-multicam-1-5-56-general-purpose-4-pouches-2-canteen-gp-x-small-28-32-chest-rigs_386...jpg

So far this Blue Force Gear Molleminus looks like it is what I'm looking for. With four mags, TQ and a small radio it can be concealed by a light jacket.
    mm-chestrig-6-mc-600x400.jpg

I have zero need for holding mags, but the Badlands chest rig is THE BOMB for elk hunting. I keep my binos, range finder, wind powder, lens wipes, and mouth calls right where I can get to them. Easy and silent open and close. No reason you couldn’t fill it with mags.
    Badlands-Bino-XR-Binocular-and-Rangefinder-Harness-Large.jpg

What practical reason would you have to conceal a chest rig?
    I may never have to. I may need to be gray man. I like the fact that if it is slim enough to be concealable, it has much less bulk and weight, which is important to me.

Sorry, I don’t think you’re concealing 4 AR mags, worn on the chest, by a light jacket, from anyone with eyeballs.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Sorry, I don’t think you’re concealing 4 AR mags, worn on the chest, by a light jacket, from anyone with eyeballs.
    Actually concealing it in not really a concern of mine. If it is concealable though, it is also light, minimalistic, not bulky ect.. That is important to me. My ATS rig with four AR mags, is easily concealable. It is thin and light and it is worn lower ( more of an abdominal rig ) I just do not like the built in mag pouches.

Haley has been good to go in my experience, currently running the front placard clipped onto my plate carrier.
    Spiritus is good to go as well, pretty modular with expander wings.
    Crye Airlite has been the best so far. Build it out how you want.
    I have a gcode one as well and besides the H-harness I'm not a fan of it. It's built in a way that really limits you mixing other companies add-ons (the way the velcro faces). Only thing it has going for it is that it uses their scorpion pouches.