• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slight Modifications for my Son - Savage 110

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
When I was 13 years old I purchased my first rifle, a Savage 110 .270. Of course I knew absolutely nothing of rifles but I loved the gun and it took me over a year working every weekend to pay my dad back the loan. I killed my first deer alone with it, my first hog, and countless other critters during my teenage years. Once 18, I began to purchase more guns and the old Savage sat in the back of my dad's gun case collecting dust. I've bought and sold countless guns over the years, but never touched the Savage because of the memories it had and one day wanting to be able to pass it down to my son. My only issue was that (in my mind) it was a junker with a pencil barrel, wooden stock, and heavy trigger. (Not to mention, I bleed Rem-700) I just couldn't see my son placing any value in this gun (I've already brainwashed him) for what it was worth over the sentimental value it held. I decided that keeping the action would keep the spirit of my first rifle and allow me to modify it into a "beginner" tactical rifle that my son could one day learn with, hunt with, and be proud of.... and a rifle that would kinda match the rifles he sees dad shoot and drools over. I found a great deal on a used Hart barrel and a Choate stock and had my gunsmith begin the creation. I also had it chambered in .308 vs .270 being that my ammo count there is sufficient. Here is the gun mid-project. Still plan to adjust the trigger, add a one piece base, and Weaver glass, but after he saw it, my son is in LOVE with his new rifle. He is just 7 years old, but will have a gun that (at least in some part) has memories attached to it. My step sons (13, 11, and also 7) have also fallen in love and will all get to learn and hunt with the Savage before my Boy gets it for keeps. I'm happy and feel I still am giving my son my first gun and a modified version that he will be proud to own and hopefully pass down to his son one day. Also maintained a budget under $500 so far with just a little patience and on-line bargains...

DAED34F7-6C41-4DD8-965C-789D2DB7CC2D-25430-0000196CE9AE4AD4.jpg

Rifle Project Finished 3-11-2013:

D3F4C7BE-748C-4521-8703-F63C9B626D0E-1371-0000014281877CE1_zps903eb95f.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Slight Modifications for my Son - Savage 110

looks good . sorry i couldn't read everything on my phone due to small letters and everything bunched up but I'm sure he is going to love that rifle.

thats too cool. i still have my sons first rifle in the safe, a old handi-rifle in .243 with a pronghorn 4x scope on it. He killed more deer with that rifle than the bolt gun he graduated up to

Having the stock painted and adding some accessories....pics to follow soon.

First, great rifle. I love the story. I have to ask, why are you having it built? Have you looked into how easy a Savage is to build? It only takes a couple of inexpensive tools.

Again, I love it.

Removed the barrel nut and fitted the SS barrel to the action like a Rem 700 is. Personal preference is the main factor. It's what I know and trust. Some swear by the Savage barrel nut but I've never cared for the concept or design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXBRASS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Removed the barrel nut and fitted the SS barrel to the action like a Rem 700 is. Personal preference is the main factor. It's what I know and trust. Some swear by the Savage barrel nut but I've never cared for the concept or design. </div></div>

I can dig that. As long as we're shooting and showing the kids how it's done!
grin.gif

It may just be the picture, but that barrel looks fat!
Good job on getting the kids involved.

Just had this pic txt'd to me bu guy who is duracoating the stock. Tikka green with grey spiderweb.... (I did the stipple work before I sent it off for paint.)

F841B0A1-6282-41A6-98CC-EF237229BADF-3624-0000043368B935AE_zpsde95e1b4.jpg

Stock should be here tomorrow. My son will be back from visiting his mom Monday and I hopefully will have it ready for him when he gets home from school....

Stock arrived today and my boy absolutely loves it. Waiting on a back ordered oversized bolt knob and handle in SS and a SS trigger guard, but other than that, she is pretty much complete.... Left the old Simmons glass on it as I figured it will be a good beater scope for the boys to learn fundamentals with for a while. Not too shabby for a remake on an old junker....

5AA07EDF-C53B-48E5-89DC-09057F69B27C-6196-0000054E3A58E9BE_zpsd5127dba.jpg

He's only 7, but he sure is PROUD of his new rifle.... He wanted it in his room rather than in the safe.... MAKES ME SMILE...

71F051D6-F372-4AAB-B8F0-CC7F667D59A9-6562-000006132C5ECED6_zps9a945759.jpg