• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling attachment point for AR-15- gas block/barrel

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Ordering a sling (two-point) for my son's AR-15.
    The DPMS gas block/sight has an integral swivel for sling attachment.
    I was just ready to order when I realized the swivel is attached to the gas block which is attached to the barrel...

I NEVER attach anything to a rifle barrel.

Is this a bad idea? I'm thinking I should attach the forward part of the sling the YHM free float handguard via a picatinny rail swivel instead.

Am I correct in avoiding the gas block swivel?

Quick suggestions for sling/swivels? He wants to use an adapter plate on the buffer tube in front of the buttstock, rather than running the sling through the rear of the MOE stock.

Thanks for the tips...

Re: Sling attachment point for AR-15- gas block/barrel

I wouldn't want the sling attached the gas block if it could be avoided.

I think the magpul RSA with a H&K clip is a great option. It's what I run on all my rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't want the sling attached the gas block if it could be avoided. </div></div>

Ya man, I would avoid putting the sling on the barrel.
    You'd be surprised how little force it takes to move the barrel on ar-15s.

-edit
    You might want to forego the A2 style, get a picatinny lo pro block and put a flip up on that.

Slings? shooter preference, I think.
    Single points at the buttplate are great for lo pro stuff, adjustable 2 points off of the handguard and buttstock are pretty much the do-it-all sling, three points are ridiculous

I like QD swivels on AR guns, I like AI style hooks on bigger guns
    $ .02

Run a two point off the rail closer to the rear of the gun, and the rear of the sling on a Magpul Buttstock, You should have QD attachments both front and rear. VTAC padded slings work best.

VCAS or VTAC sling. Noveske QD end plate. Gear sector QD mount and mount it to the rail. I like attaching it close to the receiver (as opposed to the muzzle end of the rail). Another piece that is nice is a IWC 2-1 QD adapter which makes your 2 point into a single point.

If you want to just use a standard sling stud (like you would mount a Harris to), YHM makes one that is the right thread for your handguard so you don't even need to put the rail on there. I used them on my Nordic handguards to mount my bipod without the added weight and height of a rail and adapter.

I use a GG&G QD plate on my M4 patterned AR, and it works great.