• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling for SBR?

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
What can y'all recommend for a sling to be put on a 10.5" AR?

In Iraq, all I ever had was a 20" gun and mostly had it attached with a short single point going from my IBA (ballistic vest) to the sling hook on the M16 stock. The disadvantage to this was the front of the rifle going wherever it wanted to during movement.

The only two point slings I've ever used where essentially of the "carrying strap" variety, hooked to the buttstock and front sling loop. Just a straight piece of nylon. I saw some three point slings, but I didn't have the engineering degree that appeared to be required to get those to work as they were designed.

I've watched some YouTube videos of the Magpul sling and some of the Vickers slings. Based on those videos alone I'd say the Magpul is better of the two, but I am sure that there are other options out there. Right now I'm leaning towards the Magpul.

The sling will be used primarily as a tacticool item at the range, but has the potential to see duty use if our Chief of Police chooses to allow us to carry our own rifles on patrol (which he has been considering for some time).

Re: Sling for SBR?

I use Blue Force Gear Vickers or Victory slings on all my long guns except my 10.5 SBR. On the SBR I run a Blue Force Gear single point.

I use the two points on the longer guns for the reasons you mentioned, i.e. keeping the muzzle under control when the weapon is left to hang for admin duties or pistol transitions. I also like the Vickers/Victory's quick adjustment for length when I need to transition shoulders.

The SBR's reduced length doesn't require the muzzle control of a two point (at least for me) and the single point doesn't require its length to be adjusted for transitions

The BFG single point (I believe mine is called the Simple Sling) is inexpensive and durable. I like the material and construction of the Vickers better than the Victory, Troy, and magpul slings I tried.

I've run these now for several years and there may be newer and "cooler" slings out now but mine aren't broke, so I'm not looking to fix'em.

I just went to the Magpul MS3 sling and it seems promising. I used it during our last drill, it just seems a little tough to adjust quickly, hopefully it will get better with use. Gives advantages of both single and two point at will.

VTAC. I used it in 2 tours in Iraq, use it on duty now as a LEO. Great for SPR and SBR along with scatter guns too.

Viking Tactics (VTAC) Been in service since 2007, great sling.

Single Points have thier place, but for LEO, I think the two point is the way to go.

I have one on a 12.5

Tbag prefers the angle o me dangle a skotch betta wen me tethers me ar pistol from a densely woven strand o me nether hairs. Keeps me positionin correct fer the transition to me keester stashed secondary, hooyah?

I prefer being able to cant any rifle especially an SBR to the side using a 2 point whenever possible over a single point during normal carry. With an SBR the barrel can easily muzzle your knees with a one point and it induces a lot of movement in the weapon. I've seen a few instances of hanging SBR's dropping the safety and putting a round through the owners legs and lets just say, most ended in amputations.

In action I prefer the simplicity of a single point.

Go Magpul MS3.

I have a couple BFG padded VCAS slings and love them. You can get them with different attachment points, depending on your preference. On my SBR (Mk18 mod 0 clone) I'm using H&K hook style with the CQD front and rear sling plates. Works great and I can convert it to a single point set-up by just unclipping the front and attaching it to the rear plate.

Vtac padded works for me. Single points move around to much especially if youre running. Vtac two point can easily be transitioned to your back if you have to climb a fence or ladder.

Blue Force Gear has a great design that slides easily for adjustments. The non-padded cuts my shoulders after a day of use, so changed them all to padded. Works great. The Magpul MS3 is great in theory, but the webbing sticks and is very hard to adjust. So I removed the hook endpoint and put it on one of my BFG padded - now I have a two point that converts to single on the BFG padded. Best of both worlds.

Anyone if you can go with the Magpul MS3 on a GAP10?

Can I just order the sling? Or do I need additional hardware to mount?

Is that a bad idea for the gun ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Viking Tactics (VTAC) Been in service since 2007, great sling.

Single Points have thier place, but for LEO, I think the two point is the way to go.

I have one on a 12.5</div></div>

unless you're swat, go for the vtac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tripodtbagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tbag prefers the angle o me dangle a skotch betta wen me tethers me ar pistol from a densely woven strand o me nether hairs. Keeps me positionin correct fer the transition to me keester stashed secondary, hooyah?</div></div>

Is that Scottish Ebonics ?

Check out the savvy sniper slings. Really well thought out and adjust quickly. They have videos on their site.

To follow up, I ended up getting the VTAC "wide padded" sling. I was at a 2 day patrol rifle class last week and absolutely LOVED the VTAC sling. I changed the location of the front swivel from the front of the rifle on the first day, to very near to the receiver on the second day, and found that it worked even better.

Again, thanks for the recommendations.

I've always been a two point sling guy but I'm giving the single point a good try and so far I like it better, sucks that you loose the stability you can get form a two point but nothing is ever in the way during reloading or malfunctions. Defiantly quicker. Verdict is still out. I would love to tell you the sling I have, which can be either single or two point but its frickin old, one of the first QDs. Whatever it is it sure has held up.

I used to make my own slings and sell them, bringing in considerable money on the side while I was active duty. As soon as I tried the VTAC sling, I never made one of my slings again, and could no longer do so in good conscience. That was late 2003.

You'll get the most out of your VTAC sling when you learn how to set it up on the blaster ideally for your build, reach, and adjustability range up front. They make awesome positional shooting slings as well.