• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling Suggestions?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I am taking a class next month and the instructor reccomends a sling. The class focuses on PRS style shooting. Im taking the class to primarily learn more about wind winding and other positional shooting, but ill learn anything else I can as well including sling stabilization - which sling is recommended for this type of work?

I have had pretty good luck with my Shadow Tech Enhanced SS Loophole sling. For the money it works very well.

Since you are just starting out I'd recommend the Mountain Shooter sling, it's a simple, effective cuff sling that doesn't break the bank and is pretty easy to learn the fundamentals of sling use on. Following that, once you learn the ins and outs of using the sling my favorite is the Armageddon Gear PRS sling, out of all the slings I have and use I keep coming back around to that one. I also have the Enhanced Loophole sling and it's easily my least favorite sling but the loop for clipping into a carabineer is a handy feature for some situations when shooting off a tripod or some barricades. That being said, in my opinion, effective sling use goes back learning the fundamentals of looping up, positioning the sling, getting the proper tension, and body position. Even if you don't loop up and route the sling over your back like you can do with the Loophole sling or TAB Gear PRS sling, the fundamental skills learned from a shooting sling are still there.

FWIW, I tried the Mountain Shooter sling and can't recommend it. The support hand loop allows easy single-handed manipulation, but is designed to easily slip. The best analogy is putting a rope tied with a loose slip-knot over your arm and then putting that knot under constant tension. The narrow straps ate into my arm and it was about as comfortable as wearing a tourniquet. I live in a hot climate, so this was happening sling strap right on skin. Perhaps it would be better if I were wearing any type of shirt. It works and is relatively inexpensive. There are YouTubes out there demonstrating how it works.

FWIW, I tried the Mountain Shooter sling and can't recommend it. The support hand loop allows easy single-handed manipulation, but is designed to easily slip. The best analogy is putting a rope tied with a loose slip-knot over your arm and then putting that knot under constant tension. The narrow straps ate into my arm and it was about as comfortable as wearing a tourniquet. I live in a hot climate, so this was happening sling strap right on skin. Perhaps it would be better if I were wearing any type of shirt. It works and is relatively inexpensive. There are YouTubes out there demonstrating how it works.

Well any sling has the potential to dig into your arm if you arent wearing a shirt and have good tension on the sling. The material is 1.5" wide, same as most other nylon precision rifle slings and you can put a triglide within the loop to help act as a stop to keep it from going in full tourniquet mode.

Mtn shooter sling is one of the best, simple to use shooting slings on the market. It is a constrictor, and does its job very well. The basic tab gear sling is not a constrictor, and also does a great job.

The armaggeddon gear sling works very well, but can be both harder and easier to use than the other two. It is a little more flexible for use as a tripod sling as well.

For 20 bucks, the new magpul sling, which is basically a copy of the rifleshooter sling, will probably also be a good choice to try out.

I also suggest the Rifles Only bungee sling. I dont use the sling a ton for matches, but when I need it, it works very well. Its also good for hunting and the likes

Reactions: kthomas
    Years ago I bought a TIS sling & it’s served me well. No complaints. About two years ago I bought a VTAC bungee sling (M4) & now I’m sold on bungee slings. My next sling will be the R.O. Precision Rifle sling.

Reactions: PDXGS
    I have the TAB gear sling. Check them out, they make a few different slings with great options. The base sling is great for PRS, used by a lot of shooters

Reactions: Xandrosi
    I have the TAB gear sling. Check them out, they make a few different slings with great options. The base sling is great for PRS, used by a lot of shooters

Just watched the video and can see why you like the Tab Gear PRS.

As a former High Power shooter I really appreciate the quick-attach, separate cuff of the TIS sling.
    I also run the Rifles Only bungee sling if I'm going to be shooting in difficult terrain or longer, slung, hikes.

Rifles Only. Not only is their sling very well made and easy to adjust, their customer service is top notch. I ordered a sling and my dog chewed it up before I even had the chance to use. I had to pay for them to fix it, but they damn good took care of me.

RiflesOnly. I have the standard non bungee tail and it works great. Haven't shot PRS comps with it, but hiking and pit/powerline shooting, with a few improvised obstacles, its holds great, carries great, works great. Tough as nails and the adjustments are smooth like smooth should be. I have a TAB and 2 Magpuls also, FTW sling is first pick every time.

Kopfjaeger. Bought it for the name and love it. What a 1907 sling has evolved into!

Thanks to all who've commented recently on this thread. Narrowing down to a few outstanding slings was very helpful.

I really liked the RO carbine bungee

I like TAB basic slings, not their PRS

No metal buckles unless you’re okay with your scope and rifle finishes scratches up and hearing metal on metal banging

Cobra buckles are complete overkill imo

I’m good with any basic sling that’s secure and wide enough or has a pad

I have a "claw" sling on my muzzle loader. It is a cheap sling and won't help with shooting, but it works for carrying a lightweight hunting rifle.
    If you need anything more then I would spend the money to get a TIS or tab gear sling.

For pure positional shooting, I don't think there is a better sling than the m1907 leather sling. I have one on each of my "hunting" rifles.
    https://turnersling.com

For a "minimalist" carry sling that can be pressed into use as a "hasty sling," I'd look at Sinclair Industries "Montana Sling."
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...g-swivels/slings/montana-sling-prod22874.aspx

I have magpul MS4 slings on my AR type rifles. They hold the rifle tight to your body when you need them to; adjust easily to a length you can shoot from without removing the rifle; and can be configured as a single point sling if that is your thing.
    https://www.magpul.com/products/ms4-dual-qd-sling-gen2

I have a Short Action Precision positional sling on the rifle I use for matches. Easier to get in and out of than the m1907 (and easier to get set for differences in clothing), but I think the m1907 gives a better position once you get it set for you.
    https://www.shortactionprecision.co...cts/copy-of-sap-positional-rifle-sling-coyote

I don't like slings that have a bunch of loose tails flopping about, that skews my preferences towards those above. I would also echo what was said above about metal buckles on slings. They can be hard on a rifle's finish- but so is using the rifle, especially at a match or in a class.

For my AR, I'm very happy with my Blue Force Gear sling. Some great YouTubes that describe its merits. Not the right sling for my precision rifle.

I've been very happy with the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Sling. The bungy slings are great. Wouldn't mind trying a Rifles Only sling after reading all the positive comments in this thread.

Lots of good slings out there. Hard to make a recommendation because people want different things out of their slings. I will say that for PRS, there seems to be very little sling use. Perhaps as using it while on a tripod to provide counterforce to the front of the rifle.

I have a BFG sling that I like. You can easily change the length. I also have a 1907 sling I like. I had a VTAC sling that adjusted like the BFG sling that I hated.

Metal buckles are too much weight. Or i should say that I find metal buckles to be too much weight. They swing moreso than buckles and triglides made of plastic/nylon. As said earlier, cobra buckles are cool but are overkill. It’s swinging weight and they’re expensive.

I would recommend you get a sling that has a quick release in it somewhere you can reach. Or use a QD sling loop. At some point you will get hung up in it an need to get out and may not be able to easily lift it off over your head.

As an aside, selecting a sling (or holster) gave me the most angst initially. By contrast, there's great information available about the characteristics, benefits, and weaknesses of every major rifle, accessory, scope, and upgrade. These decisions are relatively easy. On the other hand, slings have different levels of utility and component quality. Some touted quality features seem like "snake oil" including overly expensive attachments that weigh too much, can lift a car, and make noise (if that's a concern). More critical quality features like the size and thickness of straps, and ability to easily adjust and lock-in stable positions, are easily understood, but typically not contrasted except on forums like this.

Just for grins, I have to mention the classic 1907. It's a pain to get in and out of, and you might need an engineering degree to assemble it, but it will damn sure lock up your position. I've also got a short action precision that does the job well enough - similar to the 1907, but more modern and a little easier to work with, if not quite as stable. If you don't know what you want, starting with a 1907 will show you what features you value. It's a good, basic sling that will function. I can't say that for every sling I've tried.